BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcat00

WEll looks like your calculator simulation isnt working on the first day as UT Dallas just won 5-3 over George Fox.

Ralph Turner

No, his calculator is working.  All he said is that GFU would be UT-D 61-39 in the next 100 games (or win 3 out of 5).  It looks like the game was as close as the calculator predicted.

Spence

I don't think that pythag (which I'm a big fan of in a lot of situations) works too well when you have virtually no common opponents. It could be kind of like saying Huntington High went 31-2 and beat everyone they played by 12 runs except for the two losses, and the Pittsburgh Pirates are 15-20 and have been held to 2 runs or less 9 times. Based on the numbers alone, you'd say Huntington would win. Obviously, that's crazy.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Spence on May 16, 2007, 11:15:28 PM
I don't think that pythag (which I'm a big fan of in a lot of situations) works too well when you have virtually no common opponents. It could be kind of like saying Huntington High went 31-2 and beat everyone they played by 12 runs except for the two losses, and the Pittsburgh Pirates are 15-20 and have been held to 2 runs or less 9 times. Based on the numbers alone, you'd say Huntington would win. Obviously, that's crazy.

Well.... it IS the Pirates. It could happen.

Huntington (Beach) High, CA pounded my team this year. They are pretty good.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Spence

I was actually thinking of the basketball juggernaut in West Virginia this year that had like 4 D-I players (historic is pretty much any WV team with more than 1) but sort of mixed my metaphors.

The Pirates are middle of the pack in the NL Central right now despite not scoring hardly any runs. Lot of season to go for Jim Tracy and a bunch of young guys.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Spence on May 17, 2007, 05:51:21 PM

The Pirates are middle of the pack in the NL Central right now despite not scoring hardly any runs. Lot of season to go for Jim Tracy and a bunch of young guys.

I believe they are behind my beloved Brewers! I feel like it is 1982 all over again.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Josh Bowerman

I know not everyone can make the squad, but I'm a bit dissapointed that HSU's Michael Simpson didn't make even the D3baseball.com Honorable Mention team. 

He clearly had the stats:  a .409 batting average, 13 HR, 53 RBI, 124 total bases, a .756 slugging percentage and a .967 fielding percentage.

Of course, all the kids that made the squad are deserving--I just wanted Michael to get some kudos for a great career at HSU.   :-[
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

CUAfan

Quote from: Spence on May 16, 2007, 11:15:28 PM

It would work if I was able to do some kind of adjustment based on league difficulty, which I wasn't really inclined to try and figure out at the time. On the other hand, I figured that the raw runs scored and allowed totals were close enough for a quick-and-dirty calculation, so I just did that. Maybe I'll fiddle around with some kind of adjustment during the summer...or maybe I'll get a real job that won't give me the time. :P

I also think that Simpson should have gotten a nod. That's an awful good line for any position, but he did it playing center. I'd bet that most of the OF on the list were corner guys, but that's just my speculation. *wishes he had the data and time to do VORP*
Let's go 'Nados!

WLCALUM83

pitchinmom

Thanks for posting the update WLCALUM83.  Jonathan is having the time of his life right now.  He had been in contact with a couple of MLB clubs, but when the opportunity came for him to play in the Frontier League, he decided to go ahead and sieze the moment.  He got the call on Father's day, flew to St. Lois on Monday and pitched on Tuesday.  Thus far he's been mostly middle relief, but his last game he entered in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded and 2 outs! He struck out the only batter he faced.  Hopefully, he'll continue to be successful.  I only wish my computer was working properly and I could listen to his games!   

WLCALUM83

Pitchinmom, you may be a bit happier after you see the pitching lines on this link:

http://www.frontierleague.com/2007scores/wcy7050.html

pitchinmom

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on July 06, 2007, 07:50:49 AM
Pitchinmom, you may be a bit happier after you see the pitching lines on this link:

http://www.frontierleague.com/2007scores/wcy7050.html

Thanks.  I finally was able to actually listen to the game last night, after spending about 9 hours on the phone with microsoft.  Jonathan called me today to let me know that they are moving him to the starting rotation and he is slated to get his first start for the Rascals on Monday.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pg04

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.