BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CUAfan

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 14, 2008, 03:14:12 AM
So here's a few worth mentioning in the West at this point in the season (and there's plenty of time for all of this to shake up):
Kyle Barton -- 0.00 ERA, 3-0, 19.2 IP, 6 BB, 18 Ks, .143 against
R.B. Garza -- 1.38 ERA, 3-1, 26.0 IP, 7 BB, 24 Ks, .198 against
Logan Hull -- 3.00 ERA, 4-1, 30.0 IP, 13 BB, 26 Ks, .219 against
Cody Curry -- 3.75 ERA, 3-0, 24.0 IP, 12 BB, 28 Ks, .239 against
Ben Whiteley -- 3.55 ERA, 3-1, 38.0 IP, 11 BB, 25 Ks, .274 against
Adam Garcia -- 3.31 ERA, 2-1. 35.1 IP, 18 BB, 28 Ks, .242 against
Kevin Jones -- 3.25 ERA, 1-2, 27.2 IP, 16 BB, 18 Ks, .257 against

To add my two cents to this discussion, here are those 7 pitchers from above ranked by DICE (I left a link in a post on the last page), along with their team's defensive efficiency.

R.B. Garza, UMHB - 1.96 DICE/.693 defensive efficiency.
Kyle Barton, HSU - 2.39/.678
Cody Curry, MCM - 2.79/.650
Adam Garcia, HPU - 3.74/.636
Kevin Jones, SU - 3.87/.607
Ben Whiteley, CTX - 4.00/.664
Logan Hull, TLU - 4.13/.636

Also, IMO, Whiteley's not even the best pitcher on the CTX staff, Szkotak is.
Let's go 'Nados!

HAMBONE

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 14, 2008, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Bman3 on March 14, 2008, 12:26:12 AM
JSG,
we are going to find out if logan hull is a DESCENT #1, let alone your prediction as the best pitcher in the West. the youngster is going to have a tuff task pitching under the lights against a hot McMurry team. if he continues to throw as many pitches as he has been, and continues to work from behind in the count, McM might put up some big numbers. he has a quick fastball with moderate accuracy and a pretty good slider. thats it!! hit the first good fastball and lay off the slider, its pretty simple!!!!

Just to make sure I'm not misquoted. Here's what I said...

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on March 10, 2008, 09:52:25 PM
3. I'd venture to say that Logan Hull is more than just a decent #1. He's only a sophomore and he's arguably the best pitcher in the ASC West. You can certainly make a case for some others, and Hull does work from behind and give up a few too many free passes, but holding a pretty solid CUA team to two hits typically supersedes decent.

Notice I said arguably and that you can certainly make a case for some others. I also alluded to the fact that he's a young guy and works from behind too much.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to a conclusion based on one game either. I'm sure we've all had bad games right? Even in '01-'02 when you were 9-2, either you ran into someone that was better that particular day, didn't get run support, etc. All I'm saying is there are a number of factors that equate to wins and losses.

Hull is certainly capable of shutting down that high octane offense as evidenced by his efforts in the ASC Championship Game last year against what I would argue was possibly a BETTER offensive team with Cervantez and Hank Casey still around.

Let's evaluate it a little further. Because I was not careful enough to make the distinction that I meant starting pitchers, we'll go ahead and include any noteworthy relievers at this point. That said, I believe the assumption was that we were discussing rotation guys.

So here's a few worth mentioning in the West at this point in the season (and there's plenty of time for all of this to shake up):
Kyle Barton -- 0.00 ERA, 3-0, 19.2 IP, 6 BB, 18 Ks, .143 against
R.B. Garza -- 1.38 ERA, 3-1, 26.0 IP, 7 BB, 24 Ks, .198 against
Logan Hull -- 3.00 ERA, 4-1, 30.0 IP, 13 BB, 26 Ks, .219 against
Cody Curry -- 3.75 ERA, 3-0, 24.0 IP, 12 BB, 28 Ks, .239 against
Ben Whiteley -- 3.55 ERA, 3-1, 38.0 IP, 11 BB, 25 Ks, .274 against
Adam Garcia -- 3.31 ERA, 2-1. 35.1 IP, 18 BB, 28 Ks, .242 against
Kevin Jones -- 3.25 ERA, 1-2, 27.2 IP, 16 BB, 18 Ks, .257 against

I'd rank Barton (a bullpen guy thus far this season, who hitters don't get to see twice - though you can't argue with those numbers) and Garza (who honestly hasn't faced much competition other than the Ozarks) ahead of him at this point. Curry's been good, but didn't start starting until the Austin College series (because of a suspension as I understand it). Whiteley and Hull have probably faced the best competition and I perceive Hull's numbers to be better at this point in the season (plus I think Hull was a little better against CUA, than Whiteley was against TLU).

Also, the series is in Seguin so it won't be under any lights.

JSG

OOOOOOOHH Dang Bman3...JSG broke you off a lil piece of sumptin.  If you'll click on the link to the conference asc championship from last year...Logan Hull shut down that MCM team, pitching a complete 9 innings as a freshman.  Thats a pretty big time win for a young lad.  Vorhees did go 4 for 4 in that game but he didnt get any help from his teammates, so its safe to say that Brent wont be afraid to swing it today esp with the great weather we are going to have...

JSG, Bman3 and i watched the ctx vs tlu game theat Hull threw and we didnt think he was very good, we thought he just looked like another right handed pitcher...granite there are alot of factors that go into that opinion...for one it was butt-ace-cold that night so in comparison i would have looked like a girl on the mound, so just another right-hander is not that bad of a description; two the 2 teams really played sloppy, in game 1 CTX was sloppy at the plate and TLU was sloppy on D....so it was hard to get a good read on Hull with the weather and the sloppy approach at the plate from the team we wanted to see success from....the highlight of the night was Tom Williams hitting 2 absolute missles....thats always fun to watch.

I am going to try my best to make the trip down to seguine here in about an hour or so...hopefully i will have some eyeballs to help explain the box score later.

make it great day gents

Bman3

from what i hear the game Hull pitched in the ASC Championship was something special. i wish i could have been there so maybe my views would be different. i want to give him benefit of the doubt, but you only get ONE first impression and several of us were not impressed!! After he handed CTX their 1st and only ASC loss, i remember looking around and saying out loud,"how did that guy just beat us?" I didn't even know it was Hull and i was wondering why they wouldn't throw him. i found out the next day it was Hull and the program had an error.

watching him pitch that night and then looking at his numbers, it was two different stories. Impressive numbers, except the walks, (could have been closer to 10 if CTX would have had a CLUE at the dish, but that happens on chilli nights).   

Texas Lutheran                 IP  H  R ER BB SO  WP BK HP IBB  AB BF  FO GO
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logan Hull  W,4-1..........   7.0  3  4  1  5  5   0  0  0  0   26 32   8  8

this is not a Rip on Hull's abilities, the hype was high and he underferformed.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 13, 2008, 02:44:36 PM
TLU that year was on prevision because they still had guys that were on scholarship, Im taking it you didnt know that? Just like UT Tyler was this past year.

If I am not mistaken, Texas-Tyler was a program that started from scratch and had to serve a probational period because that was the rule.  Probably unfair since they did not have a previous scholarship player but they knew what the score was when they started up the program.

chance

Jim Dixon

Quote from: chance on March 14, 2008, 06:28:06 PM
Score at TLC 13-5 McMurry

Just does not look like Texas Lutheran's year this year.

Bman3

Texas Lutheran                 IP  H  R ER BB SO  WP BK HP IBB  AB BF  FO GO
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logan Hull  L,4-2..........   5.0 10 10  5  2  6   0  0  0  0   26 29   3  6

Blackcat00

Looks like hes either getting them on stike outs or giving up extra bases. McMurry is hot right now.

chance

mcm_sid

with howard payne hosting that basketball tournament, i haven't been able to get a HPU v CTX score, does anybody have one?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: chance on March 14, 2008, 11:48:17 AM
Anybody know a pitcher in the ASC that held Chapman to 3 unearned runs in 7 innings an came out of the game in the 7th with a 6-3 lead

Arnold Toombs

Try this.  McMurry's Brent Voorhees gave up 2 earned runs in 6.2 on his way to a win.

MCM Gangster

indian4life

CTX lost!!!! anything to say about the 12 walks and 8 errors hambone? or are you still to busy living in 2002?

indian4life

well im not gunna talk to much hambone cause its not confirmed yet but if you know the score let us know.

HAMBONE

Quote from: indian4life on March 14, 2008, 09:40:44 PM
CTX lost!!!! anything to say about the 12 walks and 8 errors hambone? or are you still to busy living in 2002?

yeah i have a few things to say about...1 this is the first ive heard of it, i was unsuccessful finding it on the web; 2 if its true, and im sure it is, that is one heck of a sloppy game and im glad i didnt burn up a tank of gas to watch that circus; and 3 no im not in 2002 neverland today, i was busy laying out at the pool with some ladies...tough day.  man those indians are on fire right now. ctx better get some rest.  and they need to learn how to win on friday. im gonna go throw up now.  cif anyone knows where the ctx box score is posted, please post the link.