BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAMBONE

Man you guys are getting really deep today! 

I just watched CTX bounce back from a rocky weekend @ HPU and pumble Southwestern 11-0 @ the Dell Diamond....i saw a lot of good things i liked...18 hits, none of which were cheap, they were hitting 2 round objects pretty squarely today.  bunting runners up, delayed steals, hit and run plays, ZERO ERRORS on defense, and a combined effort shutout performance from the pitching staff that was most likely pretty sore from last weekends circus.  Hopefully they are all mature enough to learn something today indiviually and collectively, and if they did, they just may peak at the right time this season.  Solid performance today from the Tornados, I didnt witness a weak link in the lineup or on the mound.  Go Nados.

On another note...Southwestern who seems to play great one day and poor the next, looks as though they are just giving mentally....not a whole lot of enthusiasm from anyone on their team.  They looked beat from the first pitch.  Maybe they are worn out from those 4 game series they are playing?  I thought they looked much better when these 2 matched up earlier in the season...either that or the 32-19 game was a turning point in the tornados season...we will see.

Blackcat00

Wow 11-0, Gardner must have really lit a fire under them. Maybe this weekend series will get things going. Hambone, was this anything compared to our Weekend stand with the ACes at the Dell Diamond, or was this game a little evenly matched?

Just_Some_Guy

How about some notable things going on so far in the ASC to entice a bit of discussion?

• Did anyone predict UT Dallas to start off 1-5 in conference play?
    Honestly the Ozarks taking 2-3 didn't surprise me at all, but I was definitely surprised La College swept them. I'm even more surprised considering they have the 3rd best ERA (4.47) in the ASC and the best F% (.968) at this point in the year. I think that part of it is that they didn't challenge themselves very early on with their scheduling. Perhaps the teams they've faced thus far have enabled them to acquire better stats on the bump than their talent suggests. They're still tough to beat any time Mark Cox is on the bump 

• Top Pitcher Race in the East
    Speaking of Mark Cox, the East is shaping up to have one heck of a top pitcher race so far.
    Mark Cox -- 5-1, 2.14 ERA, 5 BB, 31 K, .223 against
    Blake Booher -- 6-0, 1.42 ERA, 11 BB, 27 Ks, .201 against
    Brett Holland -- 5-0, 2.88 ERA, 7 BB, 57 Ks, .219 against
    Curt Dixon -- 4-0, 2.73 ERA, 9 BB, 39 Ks, .176 against

• Tyler and Ozarks both have more BB than Ks offensively
    That's not something you see very often for an entire team, but Tyler has 110 BBs to 98 Ks, and when you're a team that swipes more bags than anyone else in the conference, those free passes come in handy. Ozarks has 113 BBs to 99 Ks.

• Who is most deserving at this point of the ASC West offensive POTY?
    Derek David, Tom Williams, Brent Vorhees

• UMHB set-up man Kyle Barton just gave up his first earned runs of the year

• Does this Texas Lutheran team miss the playoffs after winning 3 consecutive ASC titles? What about UT Dallas? I think if UT Dallas just plays a bit better they should snag the 4th spot as the worst case scenario. They could slide up as high as 3, but with La College sweeping them it'll be pretty tough.

As far as TLU goes, it's tough to say -- as of today they may be the 5th best team in the ASC, but we'll see how that holds up.  HPU taking 2 of 3 from CUA shook things up, and knowing the ASC they'll be more upsets that throw a kink into things before it's all said and done. Who remembers Shreiner taking two wins away from McMurry a year or so ago?

golden_dome

Good win for Mississippi College tonight beating #13 Illinois Wesleyan 8-6. The Choctaws got off to a terrible start this year going 1-7, but they are 9-4 since then. Big series this weekend at UT-Dallas.

CUAfan

Here are some conference numbers I've figured up. They do not include games as of last night though. The speed lists (team and player) use Baseball Prospectus' SPEED stat, the defensive efficiency numbers are the percentage of balls in the field of play that are turned into outs, DICE has been linked to before, and batting uses BaseRuns per plate appearance.

Top 5 Team Speed
Mary Hardin-Baylor - 9.27
Texas-Tyler - 8.77
Mississippi College - 8.39
Ozarks - 8.23
Howard Payne - 8.10

Top 5 Team Defense
Mary Hardin-Baylor - .694
Texas-Tyler - .688
Ozarks - .680
Hardin-Simmons - .673
Texas-Dallas - .673

Top 10 Pitchers
B. Ziegler, UTT - 1.44 DICE, .694 defensive efficiency (this number is pitcher specific)
B. Holland, UTT - 1.55, .660
C. Dixon, UO - 1.89, .714
T. Koch, UO - 2.53, .671
R. Garza, UMHB - 2.67, .709
M. Cox, UTD - 2.69, .728
T. Williams, MC - 2.70, .653
C. Curry, MCM - 2.71, .607
S. Szkotak, CTX - 2.90, .599
B. Booher, UTT - 2.95, .759

Top 10 Hitters
T. Williams, CTX - .369 BaseRuns/PA
W. Franco, MCM - .338
R. Finnell, UO - .318
D. David, MCM - .310
C. Briggs, UO - .303
M. Volz, UMHB - .302
J. Arrieta, SRSU - .296
J. Harding, UTT - .291
M. Caggiano, UTT - .290
B. Cameron, UO - .281

Top 10 Individual Speed
J. Villegas, UMHB - 14.70
A. White, UMHB - 13.99
K. Harvey, TLU - 13.71
L. Jones, MCM - 13.55
C. Baker, UTT - 13.34
M. Caggiano, UTT - 12.83
D. Roux, LC - 12.58
B. Shaffer, HPU - 12.50
J. Smith, UTD - 11.87
N. Loving, HPU - 11.51
Let's go 'Nados!

indian4life

top 2 teams on each side of the conference go at it this weekend...predictions?

MCM Gangster

Well Mr indian for life I have a prediction in my head....and I think you know what it is!!!

indian4life

MCM Gangster

ok with Miss taking on UT-D i will take Miss taking 2 of 3, I will take ETBU also taking 2 of 3 from LaTourneau, UT-T will take 2 of 3 from Ozarks maybe a sweep UT-T swings the bats real well, in teh west HSU should sweep Schriner, I will have TLU bounce back and take 2 of 3 from HPU, and I will have CTX take 2 of 3 from Sul Ross.!!!!!! anyone else have anything to say or predict?

Blackcat00

Hopefully Concordia will take care of bussiness, but Sul Ross has a solid Friday  night thrower so that game will be tough for the tornadoes. 

CUAfan

My picks for the weekend:

Texas Lutheran takes 2 from Howard Payne
LeTourneau takes 2 from East Texas Baptist
Hardin-Simmons sweeps Schreiner
Mary Hardin-Baylor takes 2 from McMurry
Concordia-Texas sweeps Sul Ross State
Texas-Dallas sweeps Mississippi College
Texas-Tyler takes 2 from Ozarks
Let's go 'Nados!

Bman3

i think this week is going to interesting.

CTX sweeps SRU
TLU sweeps HPU
HSU 2 of 3 SU
McM 2 of 3 MHB

LU 2 of 3 ETB
UTD 2 of 3 MC
UTT 2 of 3 OU

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bman3 on March 19, 2008, 12:46:06 PM
i think this week is going to interesting.

CTX sweeps SRU
TLU sweeps HPU
HSU 2 of 3 SU
McM 2 of 3 MHB

LU 2 of 3 ETB
UTD 2 of 3 MC
UTT 2 of 3 OU
If UMHB wins the series over McMurry 2 of 3, then they will have a "2.5" game lead over McMurry.  If McMurry takes the series 2 of 3, then McMurry will have the tie-breaker.

Blackcat00

UMHB takes game one 13-11. Pitchers dual.

Just_Some_Guy

Hardin Simmons wins 6-2 over Schreiner
Howard Payne wins 10-5 over Texas Lutheran
Mississippi College wins 12-2 over UT-Dallas

JSG