BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalSoxFan

CLU broke open a tight 2-0 game after 7 with 6 runs in the 8th and another 6 in 9th.
Freshman Nate Werner 7 shutout innings to get the win.  Final score 14-0.

CLU had their third game with both strong pitching and hitting.  They've given up total of 3 runs in last three games while scoring 23.

One more win to go for them to three-peat SCIAC!

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purple Heys on April 08, 2015, 08:40:06 PM

I will probably be saying I don't believe in ULV right past the time they finish first and win the conference tourney - which I don't think they can do but just watch them do it now that I've written this.

I still don't believe in them...but what do they care about what I have to say.  Good luck to ULV in the D3 Playoffs, I hope they make some noise...or perhaps I should write about how much they suck, have no chance, and will never get past the first game let alone a sniff at Appleton...just to help them continue to prove me wrong.    ;D

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Purple Heys on May 04, 2015, 03:27:08 AM
Quote from: Purple Heys on April 08, 2015, 08:40:06 PM

I will probably be saying I don't believe in ULV right past the time they finish first and win the conference tourney - which I don't think they can do but just watch them do it now that I've written this.

I still don't believe in them...but what do they care about what I have to say.  Good luck to ULV in the D3 Playoffs, I hope the make some noise...or perhaps I should write about how much they suck, have no chance, and will never get past the first game let alone a sniff at Appleton...just to help them continue to prove me wrong.    ;D

I agree with your lack of belief, but in their three wins their pitching was solid.  Including N Byrd's 7.2 innings of shutout ball in relief during championship game #2.

On Sundays Game 2 their closer Byrd came in during second inning and shutdown CLU for the rest of the game.  CLU couldn't string together enough hits to expand their 2-0 lead and eventually/controversially, LV scored 3 in 7th to take the lead.  A loudly argued safe call on a LV runner at third wiped out the third out and LV promptly capitalized with a 2 run single to take the lead. 

SCIAC sanitized version on their website explained it:   Henley then laced an RBI single to left and the sequence of events that followed would create controversy. A laser to the plate halted Jebbia, the lead runner, and when the player rounding second continued to advance a rundown ensued between both locations, ending with Jebbia and DuBois both diving into third base. The Leopards left fielder was called safe and Woody Reyes promptly drove in two as the visiting team took a 4-2 lead.

As a parent of a senior, you never want umpire mistakes to impact the game... but that's baseball.

Early, Iniquez and Byrd all got wins allowing total of 5 runs in 23.1 innings while Jebbia pitched well in their game 3 before LV's bullpen exploded.  If the 4 pitch as well in Tyler, the SCIAC representative could make some noise.

Good luck to LV. 

Jack Parkman

It really is too bad a team with 32 wins is going to be left at home, but you must take care of business and win the auto-bid.

Sluggerdad

Is it definite that Cal Lu has no chance at an at large bid?

PLU and Linfield each lost this past weekend.   So that should put a damper on their chances, I would think.

TexasBB

Cal Lutheran has to be in the running. They have 32 wins and forced a final game in the conference tournament.  Given the losses of PLU and Linfield they have a pretty good story. Trinity's win helped as well. If Centennary had beaten Trinity, then Trinity would have been a top candidate for one of the C spots. The ASC tournament is this weekend. If UTT and CTX make it to the finals then the losere is likely to get one of the at large bids. All things being considered equal, the cost of travel will be a deciding factor. UTT is the host school and CTX is a 5 hour buss drive away.

infielddad

Quote from: Sluggerdad on May 04, 2015, 12:51:18 PM
Is it definite that Cal Lu has no chance at an at large bid?

PLU and Linfield each lost this past weekend.   So that should put a damper on their chances, I would think.

Regional selections can be a mystery at times. However, the Regional rankings and SOS suggest Cal Lu won't jump either PLU or Linfield who also had a loss.
Assuming the West is a 6 team, we currently have LaVerne, Trinity and Whitworth in as Pool A, with the ASC winner being the 4th.  Cal Lu's loss to LaVerne is not likely to get them jumped in the Regional rankings over Linfield and PLU even with the latter two having the late season loss. Those two could fill out a rugged West Regional.
If the latter two are selected, there is still a  chance one is sent outside the West.
That is where travel could become a factor so that if both UTT and CTX end up in the ASC Championship game, experience could suggest the loser goes to Tyler based on travel and proximity issues. If one of those two go out early in the ASC, there are South teams to consider for UTT with Rhodes upsetting highly ranked  BSC for the berth and a ranked and strong Millsaps team still sitting out there.
I don't think there is  very much here to suggest Cal Lu goes to UTT but the pending ASC results certainly keep some windows open.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: TexasBB on May 04, 2015, 01:04:17 PM
Cal Lutheran has to be in the running. They have 32 wins and forced a final game in the conference tournament.  Given the losses of PLU and Linfield they have a pretty good story. Trinity's win helped as well. If Centennary had beaten Trinity, then Trinity would have been a top candidate for one of the C spots. The ASC tournament is this weekend. If UTT and CTX make it to the finals then the losere is likely to get one of the at large bids. All things being considered equal, the cost of travel will be a deciding factor. UTT is the host school and CTX is a 5 hour buss drive away.

Currently only 5 teams have more wins, so that is a plus.

Last year, 2 teams shipped into the West.  If national rankings were important, then West with 6 of the top 25, would reflect the overall strength of the West region.

Question:  when determining Pool C candidates, I keep hearing that only Regional rankings are important.

But what criteria is used to decide if "top" regional Pool C candidate should stay in region or should ship to another region... bumping a lower Regional ranking team out of their region.   What decides if #3 West is better Pool C candidate than #3 Wisconsin or SE or NE?

IE... last year Chapman had 30 wins and was Regionally ranked, but they stayed home and teams from other regions were put in the West.

Westside

There is no way Cal Lu jumps anyone in the West Region for a Pool C bid. If anything, they drop even more after this weekend. Let's take a quick look at what went down this last weekend:

PLU went 2-1 this weekend with a win over a team that is ranked #3 in the region.

Linfield went 2-1 this weekend with an extra-inning loss to a team that is ranked #1 in the region.

Cal Lu went 3-2 this weekend with two losses to a team that barely finished .500.

I don't see any way that Cal Lu gets over those two teams.

This year was as low as the SCIAC has been in some time, with no really dominant team. It has been a 1-bid league all season long.

Congrats and best of luck to La Verne is representing the SCIAC.
NWC Baseball

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on May 04, 2015, 01:27:04 PM
Quote from: TexasBB on May 04, 2015, 01:04:17 PM

Currently only 5 teams have more wins, so that is a plus.

Last year, 2 teams shipped into the West.  If national rankings were important, then West with 6 of the top 25, would reflect the overall strength of the West region.

Question:  when determining Pool C candidates, I keep hearing that only Regional rankings are important.

But what criteria is used to decide if "top" regional Pool C candidate should stay in region or should ship to another region... bumping a lower Regional ranking team out of their region.   What decides if #3 West is better Pool C candidate than #3 Wisconsin or SE or NE?

IE... last year Chapman had 30 wins and was Regionally ranked, but they stayed home and teams from other regions were put in the West.

I am not completely sure that I am correct on this, but from what I have heard discussed, is that the National Committee  take the final secret rankings, decided by the Regional Committee, and make any corrections where they feel the regional committees may have made a mistake. The top team, who did not get a pool A bid, are up against the top teams from other regional rankings. They compare the teams based on the primary criteria. See bullet point 5.

http://www.d3baseball.com/interactive/faq/ncaaTournament

As teams are selected the they are removed from the board and the teams below them in the region are moved up and the comparison starts again. So in the second round a number 2 ranked team is compared to the others left from the first round. And so on and so forth until all bids are selected.

Where teams are shipped has a lot to do with the 500 mile radius. If a team is over 500 miles from the site where they will compete in a regional, the NCAA will fly them to the location. Otherwise the NCAA will pay for a bus trip. Where teams are sent is largely based on saving money and not competition. The NCAA will do their best to keep the number of flights down. With the West regional in Tyler, that may not bode well for NWC teams. For Cal Lu that is 1500 Miles, and even farther for the NWC teams. 

Jack Parkman

There is no way the NCAA is going to spring for a flight when the team being considered is #5 in the regional rankings.  If UTT doesn't win the ASC there is no way they would ship them somewhere else.  I would be absolutely shocked to see Cal Lu playing next week.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Westside on May 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
There is no way Cal Lu jumps anyone in the West Region for a Pool C bid. If anything, they drop even more after this weekend. Let's take a quick look at what went down this last weekend:

PLU went 2-1 this weekend with a win over a team that is ranked #3 in the region.

Linfield went 2-1 this weekend with an extra-inning loss to a team that is ranked #1 in the region.

Cal Lu went 3-2 this weekend with two losses to a team that barely finished .500.

I don't see any way that Cal Lu gets over those two teams.

This year was as low as the SCIAC has been in some time, with no really dominant team. It has been a 1-bid league all season long.

Congrats and best of luck to La Verne is representing the SCIAC.

or, CLU lost only to SCIAC champions.
and PLU and Linfield lost to NWC non-champions.
and CLU is undefeated against NWC champion... 2-0.
(Tongue-in-cheek)

Thanks Bishop for the explanation.  Sounds like the initial final super secret rankings holds the key

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 04, 2015, 02:19:09 PM
There is no way the NCAA is going to spring for a flight when the team being considered is #5 in the regional rankings.  If UTT doesn't win the ASC there is no way they would ship them somewhere else.  I would be absolutely shocked to see Cal Lu playing next week.

I agree.  I just wonder what they'll do with PLU and Linfield.  Only one can go to West.

So, once we agree that West could have more than 2 teams qualified for Pool C, then the Region-vs-Region comparisons become very important for deciding to send teams out of region...

It will be interesting on the 10th to see what the committee decides.

Bishopleftiesdad

No problem, hope I helped. No offense to Cal Lu, or do I think OWU would deserve it, but I believe that with the penny pinching we can expect from the NCAA that OWU has just as good of a chance being sent to UT. They are 500 miles closer to UT than CLU. ;)

Sluggerdad

Quote from: Westside on May 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM

losing to a team that is not even .500.

How's that support a move up?  Count only the wins and discount the loss?