MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on July 21, 2020, 03:45:07 PM
Webster fans and SLIAC fans... fun article to read as Coach Chris Bunch selects 15 all decade players... great memories!!

https://websterathletics.com/news/2020/7/20/2010s-all-decade-teams-mens-basketball.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3ue_cF-JbqXoJXbleyfJplpTQJYoxQQMh7Gl4Z-vIkS37DkvrBwddmxME

TO  :  SLIAC coaches or SIDS who read this site....... it would be great fun to have other SLIAC schools do the same analysis!!!

I don't know if other SLIAC schools are doing this, but Webster has been doing it for all sports. Also, my alma mater, Randolph-Macon, has been doing it for men's basketball -- all decades (1960s-2010s).

WUPHF

So, this is one of my favorite #D3hoops stories of the year and it involves the Blackburn women's basketball team, but I am posting here as I have to think this board gets more traffic.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/girls-basketball/former-female-high-school-basketball-standout-making-noise-on-short-track-racing-circuit/article_70999aa8-ba66-11ea-b6b0-974643aeb310.html

y_jack_lok

^^^ Well, not exactly a basketball story, but a great story nevertheless. Thanks for posting it.

WUPHF

That is a good point.  Let's go with favorite tangentially-related #d3hoops stories of the year.

y_jack_lok

Soccer and volleyball postponed to spring. Golf, tennis, cross country with limited fall competition.

"Winter sports schedules currently remain unchanged but will be evaluated as the conference approaches their respective start dates."

https://sliac.org/general/2020-21/releases/20200727iie83x

doolittledog

Quote from: y_jack_lok on July 27, 2020, 05:44:06 PM
Soccer and volleyball postponed to spring. Golf, tennis, cross country with limited fall competition.

"Winter sports schedules currently remain unchanged but will be evaluated as the conference approaches their respective start dates."

I'm the father of a XC runner.  This makes me think administrators have never watched a XC meet.  They are bunched together like sardines at the start.  During the race I've seen every kind of fluid flying around (sweat, spit, snot, puke).  I understand golf and tennis getting approval for play in the fall.  But to think XC gets approved for the fall while soccer and volleyball are postponed is questionable to me. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They may have to run in masks, which I thought would be difficult, but the last few cardio workouts at the gym haven't been too bad. The mask takes some getting used to and you definitely have to breathe out of your mouth, but that's standard for running anyway.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: doolittledog on July 28, 2020, 05:18:45 PM

I'm the father of a XC runner.  This makes me think administrators have never watched a XC meet.  They are bunched together like sardines at the start.  During the race I've seen every kind of fluid flying around (sweat, spit, snot, puke).  I understand golf and tennis getting approval for play in the fall.  But to think XC gets approved for the fall while soccer and volleyball are postponed is questionable to me.

Don't kid yourself, soccer is a contact sport. And they get bunched together like sardines whenever there's a corner kick or a close-in free kick.

Volleyball? The front rows are face to face.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

doolittledog

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 28, 2020, 09:04:41 PM

Don't kid yourself, soccer is a contact sport. And they get bunched together like sardines whenever there's a corner kick or a close-in free kick.

I'm agreeing with you on that.  My point is I think XC is along with those two. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

WUPHF

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 28, 2020, 08:19:54 PM
They may have to run in masks, which I thought would be difficult, but the last few cardio workouts at the gym haven't been too bad. The mask takes some getting used to and you definitely have to breathe out of your mouth, but that's standard for running anyway.

Hard to imagine competitive runners wearing masks worth wearing without handing out masks at the starting line and even then, do you penalize those who wear the mask improperly?

You could run XC teams independently and award the win based on times, but it surely would reduce the fun.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I've been told that XC would have to run shifts of runners ... they wouldn't be able to do mass starts and such.

The other challenge with XC is running different courses. Running the home course independently for time would be a bit on the unfair side. Especially since weather and conditions on the same day for all runner is part of it as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: doolittledog on July 28, 2020, 09:45:29 PM

Yeah, and I was agreeing with you. I was trying to amplify your point, in case somebody questioned why those sports would be subject to the same strictures as football.

Sorry that I wasn't clear about that. :)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

doolittledog

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 29, 2020, 10:16:59 AM
Quote from: doolittledog on July 28, 2020, 09:45:29 PM

Yeah, and I was agreeing with you. I was trying to amplify your point, in case somebody questioned why those sports would be subject to the same strictures as football.

Sorry that I wasn't clear about that. :)

Oopsies...once again I didn't comprehend where someone was going with their post...and now i'm sorry  ;) 

Anyways...as of now the ARC is planning on fall sports...so at least I have that going for me!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

The Post-Dispatch published an article about the SLIAC and how they are dealing with Covid-19, including comments from the commissioner.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/small-college-conference-sliac-endures-amid-pandemic/article_d49cffb6-9bd0-5fbb-8977-fd80eaa4e563.html