MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Wow. The Muskies return everyone, right? I thought they'd be a lot higher. Hopefully Lakeland can prove the voters wrong.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

I'm surprised that IIT is ranked that low. I suspect that the lack of familiarity that most NACC coaches have with the Scarlet Hawks accounts for some of that.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Honestly, looking at last year's schedule and their 19-8 record, there's nothing that impresses me too much. I realize the NACC isn't a powerhouse conference, but there are some good teams in there. Is their win over Carthage in OT their only signature win?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

The Scarlet Hawks return their entire starting five, including preseason All-American guard Anthony Mosley, Jr. (14.5 ppg, 4.2 apg), 6'6 power forward Jake Digiorgio (13.7 ppg, 11.6 rpg), guard Malik Howze (13.7 ppg, 3.9 apg), and 6'7 center Max Hisatake (12.2 ppg, 10.3 rpg). In fact, as far as I can tell, the whole bleedin' IIT roster is back from last year. Mosley, Digiorgio, and the fifth starter, 6'6 role player Parker Joncus, already have three years each as starters under their belts, and Howze and Hisatake have started for two years each prior to this season, so this is one of the most experienced lineups in all of D3, if not the most experienced.

I've seen a lot of the Scarlet Hawks over the past three years. They're going to be plenty good this season. And Mosley is the real deal.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 02, 2018, 09:43:17 PM
The Scarlet Hawks return their entire starting five, including preseason All-American guard Anthony Mosley, Jr. (14.5 ppg, 4.2 apg), 6'6 power forward Jake Digiorgio (13.7 ppg, 11.6 rpg), guard Malik Howze (13.7 ppg, 3.9 apg), and 6'7 center Max Hisatake (12.2 ppg, 10.3 rpg). In fact, as far as I can tell, the whole bleedin' IIT roster is back from last year. Mosley, Digiorgio, and the fifth starter, 6'6 role player Parker Joncus, already have three years each as starters under their belts, and Howze and Hisatake have started for two years each prior to this season, so this is one of the most experienced lineups in all of D3, if not the most experienced.

I've seen a lot of the Scarlet Hawks over the past three years. They're going to be plenty good this season. And Mosley is the real deal.

I realize they have some real good talent on the team (going by stats), being a fantasy league player, but I really only see their win over Rose-Hulman as their big win. I thought Carthage was better last year. Anyway, I'm not saying they're chopped liver, but I don't think 4th is too low.

Benedictine is picked 2nd. Are they eligible for the regular season championship but not the conference tournament and NCAAs?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Smitty Oom

They return two players who had averaged double doubles, and neither of those 2 is their best player! That's crazy. Will be interesting to see how they adapt to a full D3/NACC schedule.

WUPHF

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Mosley struggled with injuries last season.

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 02, 2018, 12:34:09 PM
Wow. The Muskies return everyone, right? I thought they'd be a lot higher. Hopefully Lakeland can prove the voters wrong.

I think Joshuan McNeal is the only player from last year's rotation who won't be back. They certainly ought to be competitive again this year.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 02, 2018, 10:07:17 PM
Benedictine is picked 2nd. Are they eligible for the regular season championship but not the conference tournament and NCAAs?

I believe that is the case.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: WUPHF on November 03, 2018, 01:07:59 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Mosley struggled with injuries last season.

I did actually forget about that. However, simply looking at last year's results, nothing tells me they are going to roll through the NACC. Obviously I could be completely wrong,
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 02, 2018, 10:07:17 PM

Yes.

Yes, he did.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 03, 2018, 10:09:53 AM

I did actually forget about that. However, simply looking at last year's results, nothing tells me they are going to roll through the NACC. Obviously I could be completely wrong,

I didn't say that the Scarlet Hawks were going to "roll through the NACC."  I said that I'm surprised that they were ranked as low as fourth by the coaches. I think that they'll do better than that. I'm pretty sure that they have what it takes to contend for the NACC title. I'm not saying that they're guaranteed to win it, but they have the talent and experience to at least make a run at it.

AndOne

A little birdie told me IIT will be no worse than 2nd in the NACC this season. 🔮 🏀

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: AndOne on November 03, 2018, 12:28:22 PM
A little birdie told me IIT will be no worse than 2nd in the NACC this season. 🔮 🏀

I mean ... really? Little birdie? Just say people are talking about IIT. I know we are watching them. There is a reason there is an IIT player on the preseason AA list.

Come on man :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 03, 2018, 10:42:49 AM

Yes, he did.

Thanks for confirming.

I watched IIT a few games last season including the game against Chicago and the game against Chicago the season before.  I followed them a little for fantasy league reasons.  They are going to be very good in my limited opinion.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 04, 2018, 10:19:50 PM

I mean ... really? Little birdie? Just say people are talking about IIT. I know we are watching them. There is a reason there is an IIT player on the preseason AA list.

That little birdie told him about the kissing disease.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AndOne

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 04, 2018, 10:19:50 PM

Come on man :)

People are talking about IIT? Well, thats fine. But talk is cheap. I'm saying I think they'll come in no worse than 2nd in conference. I'm sorry you were so upset by my evidently feeble attempt to state my prediction in a somewhat humorous manner. Geez, come on man. Lighten up a little Big Mac.  :)