FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empire8fan

Christopher Newport was also ranked 16th at the time....wilkes wasnt even recieving votes going into this game.  Struggling vs a top 20 team is totaly different than struggling vs a .500 team.

ACMob

No, they actually gained a spot.(7 to 6)  However, CNU has been a top 25 team for most of the last couple years and Rowan won in their house for the second year in a row.  My arguement with top ten is-- do you really think that DVC is better than Trinity TX?  Salisbury?? Ithaca??  At least these teams, as does RU, schedule tough non conference opponents year after year.  I take my hat off to Lyco. for scheduling the Bombers!!  

GOOD LUCK next week and take care of the football! :)

patcummings

I was at Lyco/Widener today.

Bottom line - both teams struggled mightily.

Lyco was lucky to have scored a touchdown.  They were granted a pass interference call in the end zone that kept a drive alive, and then scored on the next play.  Interestingly enough, a pass interference call against Widener on 4th & 10 late in the game kept Lyco alive and in with a chance.

Here are some assessments on both...and I make them here because it really isn't worth it to write about it my Around the Region column...

1.  WPU beat Wilkes, who beat Widener, who beat Lycoming, who beat Juniata.

2.  DVC beat Wilkes by 3.  But come on people, you said the same things about DVC last year.  The narrow margins of victory...the "cardiac kids."  That's them.  Some days they are really on, some days they aren't.  But here is what is clear to me having seen Lyco and Widener today...if both of those teams play DVC the way they played today, DVC rolls.

3.  Widener is not the Widener they once were, neither is Lyco.  The MAC has changed, it's been that way for a few years, but it took a while for people to really realize it. 

4.  Glenn Smith was pulled for being ineffective.  The backup threw an interception on his first play and seemed equally ineffective.  The Lyco offense is listless (to the tune of 22 plays in the first half for a TOTAL of 23 yards).  Widener's offense is slightly better than that, but lacked any real spark.  I mean, at one point, it was 5-0 Widener in the bottom of the sixth, and that little cart was on its way in from the bullpen.

5.  Widener's pep band is very good.  But do you HAVE to play like, the ENTIRE game.  Give it a break every now and then so I can think.  Also, I didn't think  bands could play during an actual play on the field.  They did...all day long.

gordonmann

ACMob:

Del Val, like the rest of the conference, doesn't have much room to schedule non-conference games.  This year they get to be the one MAC team who plays all 10 conference foes.  While WPUNJ wasn't a tough draw last year, Del Val and the Pioneers were equal when that contract was written up.  Maybe that changes in the future.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ACMob on September 17, 2005, 09:31:53 PMMy arguement (sic) with top ten is-- do you really think that DVC is better than Trinity TX?

I actually think yes, that is probably true. But that doesn't make either one a Top 10 team.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ACMob

One can't disagree with the D3 elite. ??? I get nothing but bad karma in here! :-[ So good luck to all the MACsters.  Peace. :-X

gordonmann

I didn't ding you and I'm not sure the Pats did either.  Perhaps it was someone else.

I'll even applaud you if it makes you feel better. :)

macfan762

Perhaps the answer is a DVC posting room.  That way 3 point victories in the final seconds can be discussed openly and all the posters can take turns talking about how "clutch" the kicker is.

I would have thought that consistency would be the mark of the top ten.  Not one day on, one day off.

Polls are for idiots anyway.  DVC will probably gain a spot this week.

And yes, I can even see "bad zebra" references in a pro-DVC post.  First sign of panic.

As for the Widener band, they are probably out right now buying new amps for the DVC game.

D3Phan

Did noone else see that John Port from Albright College became the 12th player in NCAA Division III to surpass the 10,000 career passing yards? I think that is something we should all send our Congrats to.

CONGRATS John Port!

Billman56

MacFan762

What is the matter with you today?? Didnt Moravian "Roll" over their opponet today by 30 or 40 points. You havent said a whole lot about the other MAC teams this far but yet you call yourself MacFan, I dont get it.  But all you have to say is a lot of negativity toward Del Val. I can understand this as your team  didnt win the MAC last year, but bad mouthing the 2004 Conference Champion sounds like sour grapes, especially since they came into your house and Spanked the Greyhounds.
It is also obvious that you didnt observe the DVC/Wilkes contest by your comment directed toward the referees and the miscues for both teams. Wilkes is a good to be reckoned with, especially their "D".  I cant wait until October 22, when the Greyhounds take on the Colnels, I guess then we may really hear some crying from you.

Simba.....I am short a couple of acid balls, can I borrow some???

Billman56

ACMOB...Have you ever observed Trinity, TX, Salisbury, or Ithaca play in person or are your lame comments just from what you have read?
You also seem to post negativity and I will ask again who is your team you pull for??
Until you can "Qualify" your statement as to who should be in the top ten it is my opinion that you should do some more research. What is your criteria for a team to be ranked in the top 10???  It seems that everyone hates a winner when they are on a roll but it is so funny that I dont hear any negative comments regarding Linfield or MHB or the other teams that are consistently in the top 10.
Wait maybe I am the one who is wearing the rose colored galsses, Maybe DVC isnt that good after all, Maybe they shouldnt be in the top 25. Would that be more to your liking???

Simba...Help me here I am low on acid balls...

macfan762

Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you.  There's never any negativity from me towards DVC.  I don't know one player on the team so that would be stupid.  Like the Greyhounds, I tend to keep a low profile and let results speak.  Wilkes must be a very good team and yes, I too look forward to Moravian/Wilkes.

As was pointed out to me when I spoke of the personal foul that knocked out the Greyhound QB, "crying" about refs and other acts, however cheap, is pointless because it's part of the game.

One can only hope that the Hounds have a chance to play the Aggies again.  It would be a great match up.  Probably much closer than a 9 point "spanking" as you call it.

How did the DVC 2nd team do on Saturday?  See much time?

MOJO

Patron 2,
Concerning your comments about LVC and Juniata ,definitely venemous humor, but humerous none the less.  If you had watched or listened to the game it was a great game.  As a team, yes both these teams have somethings to be desired.  There are some individual athletes on these teams that could play for any of the MAC teams.  Great example of this,  3 seasons ago LVC had a first team All American tight end on a one and nine team.  A current example of this is LVC's QB, I am confident in saying that his abilities are sound and he could certainly compete with some of the "Premier" players in the league, if he was competing on a level playing field.  In your attempt to be humerous, I feel you tarnished some great young men.

Warren Thompson

As Patron2 has amply demonstrated, uninformed talk is very cheap ....

splik

It seems like LVC always has one outstading player getting lots of recognition and then go on to have a disappointing record.  
I'm a little surprised by the Wilkes-DVC score.  Does Wilkes have huge linemen again?  It always seems like they do.  Is everyone there big?  I met some girls from Wilkes at a research conference yesterday and even they look like the could put a hurting on a buffet...