MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcons 25

I agree with everything you said! Look at how well they played in the second half, after Coach Oliver ,know doubt, challenged their
manhood at halftime! (They looked like scared, little children in the first half)
Kudos to Tyreek Perkins & some of the others for really fighting hard in the second half!
J. Green-Younger has been a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT this year, time to PRODUCE!
GET IT TOGETHER FOR N.Y.U.!

Saint-Paul

Saints rout Newbury College 90 -69 to grab their 5 th win of the season.  They only had 3 wins all last season. First time they are above 0.500 in years.  The new motion offense really has the ball moving with plenty of extra passes before taking a wide open shot.  Saints don't have any star players but this year they are playing like a real team.  Everybody gets touches, nobody forces shots, and for the first time in years they place a high value on getting an assist. Nine out of the ten returning players are buying into this new system, and the one who isn't will probably get less playing time as the season continues.  Have not said this in years, but the Saints are now actually fun to watch.

Falcons 25

Saint, you deserve a great season! (Long-suffering is an understatement!)
Nice when players TRUST each other & play for a COMMON GOAL. That`s
why I love watching the UConn women play.

Falcons 25

AMC vs N.Y.U.- Score not important (Falcons won!)

What is important, is the Falcon team played really well together on both sides of the ball.

After the debacle in Jersey City, this was nothing short of a miracle finish & they achieved
the "miracle" by NEVER GIVING UP! (They missed about 6 free throws in a row at the end!)

Stars of the game: Tyreek Perkins & Terry "Bull" Dawkins!

One more game left, before the break. (Fisher @ 3pm @ home)

Saint-Paul

Saints upset UMass-Boston with a 89 - 75 victory at their cross town rival's home court. Saints finish the first semester 7 - 3.  First time in years the Saints have been above 0.500 at Christmas time and first time in years the players go home for break feeling like a real basketball team.  Saints are moving the ball with a purpose, waiting for the defense to over play, and only taking good, quality shots. You don't need to be a great shooter when there is no defender within six feet of you.  It is like shooting in practice. This is all being done with the same players that were on the court last year. it is just a different, capable, coaching philosophy.  The biggest difference is that this year the Saints are no longer full court pressing every opponent, no longer spotting them a 20 point lead right off the opening tap.  Well deserved break for the hustling Saints, looking forward to a strong second semester.

Falcons 25

GNAC news: Lookout for ST. Joe`s- Maine , they are 10-2. They are scoring at a terrific pace.
Emmanuel went toe-to-toe with them & lost by 5 in Maine  The Saints are greatly improved
& are highly competative @ 8-4. Norwich is scoring @ a high rate & also are greatly improved!

AMC better come out of the break flying & playing DEFENSE or St. Joe`s will blow them out on Jan.10th in Maine!

Saint-Paul

Saints post an easy 82 - 67 win over Rivier for their ninth win of the season.  Saints place five players in double figures by showing a patient offense along with good shot selection.  Saints will be tested this week with upcoming games against St Joe ( Conn ), Norwich, and Regis.

Falcons 25

Saint, your team is just solid! Great shot selection on offense & they have each others back on defense!
St.Joe`s may break your heart, but the others you mentioned will not! Good Luck!

Saint-Paul

Not very often do the Saints play a full forty minutes of straight man to man defense this year, but they did tonight and it paid off with a big time win over St Joe ( Conn ) 77 - 72.  Saints usually play a lot of zone and mix in some man to man out of time outs, but tonight they played solid defense, contested shots without fouling, got into passing lanes, and frustrated St Joe into poor shot selection.  At the other end of the floor the Saints were moving the ball, not taking any quick shots, and really controlling the tempo of the game. I think St Joe only had two fast break points in the whole game.
Saints held a 12 point lead with 5 minutes to play and withstood the last St Joe run of the night to hold on to their 10 th win of the year.  I have been holding off from saying this because I wanted to see how the Saints would start the second semester, but yes, the Saints are for real.

Saint-Paul

Saints had 22 turnovers, only made 7 three's, only had two starters reach double figures, and still beat Regis by 21 points.  Winning the ugly games is the sign of the good.  The turn around of this program is simply amazing.  Saints now stand at 12 - 4, looking forward to meeting Norwich next week.

Saint-Paul

The Saints will play Albertus in an important GNAC game on Saturday. First time in years the Saints are not below the 0.500 mark, not stuck in the GNAC basement for this game. I am sure the Saints will have a much better game plan than in past years.  You will not see any full court pressing from the Saints. They may try some man to man defense, but I suspect it will be mostly zone.  The tempo will be a very deliberate offense with finding the open man a top priority.  Hope it is a good game, a well played game by both teams, and all the players stay healthy. Good Luck.

Falcons 25

Saint, you have the better team this year, no doubt! Albertus is very young & has ability, BUT NO GO-TO PLAYERS, LIKE LAST YEAR!
They played with intensity for 40 minutes vs Middlebury, but that is the exception this year. They can score, but they give up too many
points!
This game will end up like the St. Joes(Maine) game- a 12 point loss! MARK IT DOWN!

Saint-Paul

Last year the Saints would have crumbled like the Gingerbread Man against the intense defensive pressure that the Falcons showed in the last five minutes of today's game.  This new coach has these same players believing that they can win, even the close games. Holding on to this game down the stretch of the last five minutes was very important for the moral of the new Saints team.  I was very impressed with the Falcons defense. After the first four minutes of the game, the Falcon defenders ran all the Saints shooters off the arc forcing them to drive to the basket, something they are uncomfortable doing.  The Saints showed remarkable composure when not getting their usual shots, and needed to find other ways to score. I was very surprised to see the Saints play forty minutes of straight man to man defense. Albertus was longer, quicker, and more athletic, and i expected to see some zone mixed into the game, but there was none.  I was impressed with the Saints doubling the post before the first dribble was taken, forcing the Falcons to shoot from someplace outside the lane.  The rest of the GNAC season should be very competitive. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Hoopsville Marathon Show ... is tomorrow!

Tune in starting at 12:00 p.m. ET as we talk to guests from around the country about nothing but #d3hoops.

It is all about celebrating the season, student-athletes, coaches, and an exciting season.

For more information, click here: http://bit.ly/2HGx0N3

We will share more about the show a little later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Falcons 25

Saint, Emmanuel is the class of the GNAC so far this season. Big game vs Suffolk coming up soon.
Here`s hoping for an Emmanuel victory...you deserve it for being sooooo faithful!