2010 Cortaca Jug

Started by Bombers798891, November 08, 2010, 09:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstate19

Quote from: maxpower on November 08, 2010, 03:53:01 PM
Where's CState19..... did they let him out of county jail yet?

Cortland grads might be asking about JQV's whereabouts, but he's on vacation; he was the prosecutor!

Ha!

clandfan

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 08, 2010, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: clandfan on November 08, 2010, 01:59:13 PM

Our strength all year has been our defense and while I have not seen any IC games this year, I will venture that they have not played a defense like this one.  They have come up big game after game.

Yeah, that's why I asked about the NJAC offenses though. Nothing against Cortland, but when you're holding opponents to 7 points a game and have only given up 10 points twice all season, I have to wonder if week in, week out, you're going up against good offenses. In fact, according to the NCAA, through 10/30 the best offense in the NJAC outside of Cortland was in points scored was 82nd and in terms of yardage, Brockport was tops at 79th. It's accurate to say you're the best defense we've faced, but might we be the best offense you've seen?

Yes, I'm sure good defenses keep the numbers down, especially since you don't go OOC often, but I wonder if the NJAC offenses have given your defense a true test.

It is a fair question and because of the large conference we only see one OOC team...you.  I would also have to ask if anyone plays defense in the E8 or LL.  Is your offense that good or do the defenses just suck.  And you don't drop as many points on some of them as SJF or Alfred or Springfield..   To be fair, I haven't taken the time, nor will I, to compare Ithaca's numbers to the others agains like opponents but, in general, there are a lot of points scored in your league and it's usually not Ithaca that is scoring 40 or 50...and according to Jonny Labcoat...you have to beat teams by  40 or 50 points to be any good.

So...imagine that...it comes down to whether or not your offense is indeed good enough against our defense and whether our offense can put up any numbers on your defense....go figure.  We can't play this game on paper.l

Jonny Utah

Quote from: clandfan on November 08, 2010, 05:46:41 PM

Our strength all year has been our defense and while I have not seen any IC games this year, I will venture that they have not played a defense like this one.  They have come up big game after game.

Yeah, that's why I asked about the NJAC offenses though. Nothing against Cortland, but when you're holding opponents to 7 points a game and have only given up 10 points twice all season, I have to wonder if week in, week out, you're going up against good offenses. In fact, according to the NCAA, through 10/30 the best offense in the NJAC outside of Cortland was in points scored was 82nd and in terms of yardage, Brockport was tops at 79th. It's accurate to say you're the best defense we've faced, but might we be the best offense you've seen?

Yes, I'm sure good defenses keep the numbers down, especially since you don't go OOC often, but I wonder if the NJAC offenses have given your defense a true test.

It is a fair question and because of the large conference we only see one OOC team...you.  I would also have to ask if anyone plays defense in the E8 or LL.  Is your offense that good or do the defenses just suck.  And you don't drop as many points on some of them as SJF or Alfred or Springfield..   To be fair, I haven't taken the time, nor will I, to compare Ithaca's numbers to the others agains like opponents but, in general, there are a lot of points scored in your league and it's usually not Ithaca that is scoring 40 or 50...and according to Jonny Labcoat...you have to beat teams by  40 or 50 points to be any good.

So...imagine that...it comes down to whether or not your offense is indeed good enough against our defense and whether our offense can put up any numbers on your defense....go figure.  We can't play this game on paper.l

Ithaca is probably more of an NJAC type of team this year (no offense, good defense).

In all seriousness, I think Ithaca's defense is a little better than their offense, but their passing game is basically 80% of their offense and that hurts them.

And I didn't say you had to beat teams by 40 or 50 to be "any good".  But if you want to be a national champion, you usually do have to beat teams like that (See Oregon, Mt Union, UWW, Auburn etc)

JT

Quote from: cstate19 on November 08, 2010, 05:20:03 PM
Quote from: maxpower on November 08, 2010, 03:53:01 PM
Where's CState19..... did they let him out of county jail yet?

Cortland grads might be asking about JQV's whereabouts, but he's on vacation; he was the prosecutor!

Ha!

Dude you got out.  Awesome  ;)

JT

Quote from: Jonny Labcoat on November 08, 2010, 06:51:00 PM

Our strength all year has been our defense and while I have not seen any IC games this year, I will venture that they have not played a defense like this one.  They have come up big game after game.

It is a fair question and because of the large conference we only see one OOC team...you.  I would also have to ask if anyone plays defense in the E8 or LL.  Is your offense that good or do the defenses just suck.  And you don't drop as many points on some of them as SJF or Alfred or Springfield..   To be fair, I haven't taken the time, nor will I, to compare Ithaca's numbers to the others agains like opponents but, in general, there are a lot of points scored in your league and it's usually not Ithaca that is scoring 40 or 50...and according to Jonny Labcoat...you have to beat teams by  40 or 50 points to be any good.

So...imagine that...it comes down to whether or not your offense is indeed good enough against our defense and whether our offense can put up any numbers on your defense....go figure.  We can't play this game on paper.l

Ithaca is probably more of an NJAC type of team this year (no offense, good defense).

In all seriousness, I think Ithaca's defense is a little better than their offense, but their passing game is basically 80% of their offense and that hurts them.

And I didn't say you had to beat teams by 40 or 50 to be "any good".  But if you want to be a national champion, you usually do have to beat teams like that (See Oregon, Mt Union, UWW, Auburn etc)

I think you are correct vis a vis the lack of offense in the NJAC.  The D's of the top three are still very good. And I can't speak for Montclair or Cortland, but I think Rowan is putting the right pieces to the offense.  Hopefully, they'll confirm that on Saturday against TCNJ.

Bombers798891

Of course we can't play it on paper...but are we supposed to just sit here and not offer analysis or opinion until Saturday? It's D-III football. It's not like we can watch other teams play all that frequently.

clandfan

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2010, 09:35:13 AM

Of course we can't play it on paper...but are we supposed to just sit here and not offer analysis or opinion until Saturday? It's D-III football. It's not like we can watch other teams play all that frequently.

analyze all you want..knock yourself out.  Maybe you can find some connection to some connection to some connection to make you feel good about your chances.   Bottom line, it's Cortaca and you can throw all your analysis out the window when its time for kickoff. See  you Saturday.

Bombers798891

Quote from: clandfan on November 09, 2010, 10:58:19 AM

analyze all you want..knock yourself out.  Maybe you can find some connection to some connection to some connection to make you feel good about your chances.   Bottom line, it's Cortaca and you can throw all your analysis out the window when its time for kickoff. See  you Saturday.

Wow. I guess we should just close down the thread and eliminate discussion.  I'm not trying to "make myself feel good" about Ithaca's chances. I don't know much about Cortland so I thought I'd just throw out some questions to discuss. Apparently, that's frowned upon here

maxpower

Bombers -- did you really expect the Cortland guys to be interested in Analysis and Critical Thinking? They're still trying to figure out the forward pass.

Bombers798891

Quote from: maxpower on November 09, 2010, 11:39:16 AM
Bombers -- did you really expect the Cortland guys to be interested in Analysis and Critical Thinking? They're still trying to figure out the forward pass.

Seriously, where did 59 and 77 go? They were actually intelligent posters. This whole board is dead. One season with the worst rushing game in the country and all the IC people jump ship. Jerks.

RedDragonFan

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2010, 11:05:11 AM
Quote from: clandfan on November 09, 2010, 10:58:19 AM

Wow. I guess we should just close down the thread and eliminate discussion.  I'm not trying to "make myself feel good" about Ithaca's chances. I don't know much about Cortland so I thought I'd just throw out some questions to discuss. Apparently, that's frowned upon here
Lack of common opponents is always gonna be a challenge, that's  why the game is played as they say.  IC has no rushing game to speak of ranked at 278 nationally but they are ranked 37th in Passing.  CState is ranked 17th nationally for pass defense and if I remember right like 55th in rushing defense.  Then again, the rankings are based on Cstate and IC's performance within different conferences with different strengths and weaknesses which was Bombers point.

I know these are isolated data points but they do point to a great game.  Now, back to my research on the origin of the forward pass!  Hope I am done by Saturday's game time!

maxpower

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 09, 2010, 12:00:17 PM
Now, back to my research on the origin of the forward pass!  Hope I am done by Saturday's game time!

(Hint: Start at Harvard. True story!)

RedDragonFan

Quote from: maxpower on November 09, 2010, 12:03:06 PM
Now, back to my research on the origin of the forward pass!  Hope I am done by Saturday's game time!

True and also interesting that there are documented plays prior to the rules change where forward passes were made despite being illegal at the time and the plays stood.

maxpower

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 09, 2010, 12:08:40 PM
Quote from: maxpower on November 09, 2010, 12:03:06 PM

True and also interesting that there are documented plays prior to the rules change where forward passes were made despite being illegal at the time and the plays stood.

Were those "activist" line judges? ;)

clandfan

How does this velcro stuff work?  Are you supposed to lick it first?

Sorry Bombers, cranky morning.  I just find that there are too many variables to try to compare.  We do have a related opponent.  Lycoming beat you...Rowan beat Lycoming....Rowan beat us.  We will say that we shouldn't have lost to Rowan.  You probably shouldn't have lost to Lycoming.  Rowan will say they are playing much better now than when they played Lycoming.  I don't know what Lycoming would say.  So did we lose to the better Rowan?  I will say that we stunk in the second half of that game.  So if a bad Rowan beat Lycoming and Lycoming beat you, would Rowan beat you?  Would we beat Lycoming? What does this mean?  Damned if I know.

I will say this...our rush defense is solid and your rush offense isn't.  The question will be whether, or not, our pass defense is up to the task.  And then, of course, can we score points with our Jekyl and Hyde offense.