2010 Cortaca Jug

Started by Bombers798891, November 08, 2010, 09:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: maxpower on November 15, 2010, 03:34:53 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 13, 2010, 03:36:13 PM
One side note: Time Warner Cable should never be allowed to broadcast another game. The ENTIRE first half, the kept referring to the Bombers JV head coach as Welch. Every time the camera panned to an IC coach, there it was. Flat out unprofessional and inexcusable. Once, I can understand. But did no-one in the control room know what Mike Welch looked like?

Bombers, did you see:

1) The sideline reporter ask the cheerleading coach "how do you stay focused as a male cheerleading coach around all these female cheerleaders."

2) The play-by-play guy say "and speaking of old jugs" as a segue.

Especially #1; funny as that is, that is just about the most inappropriate question I have ever heard, even on student-run broadcasts. If I were that kid's boss he would have to transfer before he ever got another live interview.

I was at a party, so we didn't hear much of what got said specifically, but ye gods. If I were that coach, I would have said, "By being a professional, unlike yourself," and walked off. Like you, that reporter would have been pulled off the air quickly if I were his boss.

I actually e-mailed TWC about the Welch thing, and the director admitted their mistake, apologized and said they were editing their broadcast for the future showings. Classy move, but too little, too late in my eyes.

Frankly, what TWC needs to do is hire Cortland/Ithaca students to do the broadcasts on a one-game basis. I think it's ridiculous that a bunch of people have such a lack of knowledge about a team that they don't recognize the head coach. One of my pet peeves regarding national/regional coverage of Division III football is the stunning lack of knowledge the broadcasters have. Yes, some of that's understandable--it is, after all, D-III--but come on. I don't know if they messed up anything on Cortland's side, because I don't know them as well, but it was bad over on our end.

AUPepBand

Pep would surmise that anyone providing commentary for a radio/TV broadcast of a football game, particularly involving teams with which one is unfamiliar, would require a great deal of HOMEWORK and PREPARATION. Pep has always admired the radio play-by-play of Bob Codispoti, a long-time Saxon, who does his homework. Pep seldom gets to listen to Cody because of his responsiblities with the band, but has assisted with color commentary a few times through the years. It's no easy task if you aren't familiar with the teams. TWC should have had someone "in the know."

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!