BB: D3 MLB Draft projections, picks and free-agent signings

Started by AlleyCat, May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlleyCat

Does anyone have thoughts about D3 ball players that might get drafted next week?

Yacko - Chapman
Kiely - Trinity
Zongol - RPI
Zaccardo - Cortland
Kitchens - Chapman
Wolf - Ithaca
David  - McMurry
Booher - Texas- Tyler
Acevado - Carthage
Moreland - Christopher Newport
Kulik - Rowan

I know I've forgotten some, but please add to the list.

tiger_fan2000

BigPoppa

Both Kurt Yacko and Wayde Kitchens of Chapman are juniors. They may get selected in the draft, but if they do not leave early is Chapman the preseason #1 for 2009?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

infielddad

Big Poppa,
If Evan Bronson isn't drafted, Trinity, Tx returns nearly their entire starting lineup, (I think they lose only their catcher and maybe the 2B) 5 of whom were freshman and one, an All American, a sophomore.
Bronson is being heavily scouted with more than a few cross checkers heading to San Antonio.  He is just as effective as Yacko and/or Kitchens but in a very different way.  Like Yacko last summer, Bronson proved his ability in the Texas Collegiate league where he was an All star.
One run separated Chapman and that very young Trinity team earlier this month.  I fully agree Chapman will get the ranking early on based on national reputation but with those young Trinity guys all playing in tough summer leagues, they have the ability to be very much better next Spring than the one just completed.
With all of that said, a kid like Zimmerman being drafted from a DIII is the exception, not the rule.  His talent was also the true exception.
When MLB looks at a very top DIII junior, unless the player is truly a clear standout, the player is likely a round 10-20 pick.  That means he will get an offer in the $10,000 to $20,000 range and MLB likely won't be willing to offer the college scholarship plan. MLB knows the kids at DIII's are there for an education and signing them will be tough.  Most won't feel they can risk a pick in the first 20 rounds for someone who will return to school with the money involved and they aren't going to offer more money and/or the MLB scholarship plan in these situations.

dukes

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 29, 2008, 11:48:48 AM
Both Kurt Yacko and Wayde Kitchens of Chapman are juniors. They may get selected in the draft, but if they do not leave early is Chapman the preseason #1 for 2009?

If they are juniors they will have a little more to bargain with if they do get selected. Ture that teams are hesitant at drafting a kid who wants to be in school. Thats the good thing about the D1 and Junior college kids...most of them dont care about school. :)

Kummet (RHP) from St. Scholastica I know was getting a lot of looks this year also, and has a good chance, but he is just a junior this past year as well. 

infielddad

Quote from: dukes on May 29, 2008, 12:15:11 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on May 29, 2008, 11:48:48 AM

If they are juniors they will have a little more to bargain with if they do get selected.   

Absolutely right.  As a senior sign, they have no bargaining leverage.
But MLB knows that also and they will make the judgement as to whether Yacko and Kitchens and players of that type project into the first 10 rounds.
When you remember Devin Drag went in round 38 and has already been released by the Nationals, you recognize that results in DIII does not  equate with projection by an MLB scout.

D3 Baseball Fan

I attended the New England regional championship game and would like to toss in my two cents for Trinity (CT) uber-utility man Chandler Barnard.  After watching this kid's bulldog mentality on the mound and then seeing him get three hits and 3 RBI at the plate (and oh yeah, he stole home too) there has got to be a place for some organization to take a chance on him with either a low-round pick or as a free agent.  

Long term Barnard probably projects better as a hitter than a pitcher, but regardless he is a talented baseball player with a skill set that scouts should have an interest in.

AceInTheHole

I was at the CWS and i was not impressed by some of the names i've heard this year. After seeing Yacko i thought he was effective but not overpowering. I was no more impressed with his slider than righty stoper from Kean Brandon Aich's slider. Yet Yacko showed he was a great athlete and competitor and i think he will get drafted after senior year. I was dissapointed with kitchens and i am surprised he had the #s he had with his underdeveloped stuff. It seemed to me that Kitchens had poor control of a high 80s fastball and not much else. Has Yacko been coming in all season to save Kitchens from letting up runs and keeping his ERA down? I don't see Kitchens going to the next level.

Tim Kiely's poise and control impressed me most. I expected a little more in terms of velocity but his control of 2 plus pitches impressed me. I don't know about his experiences over the summer but he should be a sure 15 - 20 round draft pick after sr. year.

Hopkins startes Zacarria and tournament most oustanding player Angeloni impressed me with thier stuff despite having rather poor numbers. Zaccaria had great size and arm action to go along with his 14Ks - very impressive. Angeloni was very confident on the mound and had a great slider sinker combo. He showed some real good pop at times and proved to be a great competitor.

Only Hopkins and WW bats impressed me with next level talent. Emr from hopkins has great size and easy power. I was expecting a better performance from Fester who was returning from a knee injury this post season but i already know from his jr year and play in the Texas Collegiate League that he is one of the best DIII hitters in the country. Pietroforte from Hopkins showed a great and clutch arm in the postseason and has great tools.

Johnson and Zalnis were impressive bats for Whitewater. Johnson especially proved himself to be a next level talent as he was extemely coonfident at the plate.

Finally, i was most dissapointed with the lack of professional baseball scouts present to witness the top DIII teams compete...

dukes

Yeah, I was not at the WS but would have loved to see some of the kids throw. In some ways, why should a lot of scouts be there? For the guys they are interested in, they have probably already gotten the numbers and tool assessment they need. As great as it is, I dont think scouts really care about how clutch someone was at the D3 WS. It is an added bonus, but if they dont have the tools, it wont make it. I think the summer leagues are a good indication of talent and ability to play at the next level, especially for position players and hitters of D3. A pitcher may get drafted based on his velocity and bullpen session, but a hitter must prove he can compete with top pitching, and numbers in D3 dont always prove that. I mean honestly, if any kid hit 450 or 500 at a major d1, he would be a top 10 rounder, but in D3, it is common.

OshDude

Quote from: AlleyCat on May 29, 2008, 10:12:17 AM
Does anyone have thoughts about D3 ball players that might get drafted next week?

Yacko - Chapman
Kiely - Trinity
Zongol - RPI
Zaccardo - Cortland
Kitchens - Chapman
Wolf - Ithaca
David  - McMurry
Booher - Texas- Tyler
Acevado - Carthage
Moreland - Christopher Newport
Kulik - Rowan

I know I've forgotten some, but please add to the list.
Robinson - St. Thomas

BoomerIL

Ricky Angel  -  Illinois Wesleyan
Matt Aronson  -  Illinois Wesleyan
Ken Carroll  -  RPI
Frank Pfister  -  Emory
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

AceInTheHole

Fester - Johns Hopkins
Pietroforte - Johns Hopkins
Emr - Johns Hopkins
Zacarria - Johns Hopkins

infielddad

For whatever it is worth, for all of New England and the mid Atlantic states, Baseball America only lists Kiely of Trinity and  Fester of JHU in their draft prospects coverage.

chakote

Quote from: AceInTheHole on May 29, 2008, 01:20:33 PM
I was at the CWS and i was not impressed by some of the names i've heard this year. After seeing Yacko i thought he was effective but not overpowering. I was no more impressed with his slider than righty stoper from Kean Brandon Aich's slider. Yet Yacko showed he was a great athlete and competitor and i think he will get drafted after senior year. I was dissapointed with kitchens and i am surprised he had the #s he had with his underdeveloped stuff. It seemed to me that Kitchens had poor control of a high 80s fastball and not much else. Has Yacko been coming in all season to save Kitchens from letting up runs and keeping his ERA down? I don't see Kitchens going to the next level.

Tim Kiely's poise and control impressed me most. I expected a little more in terms of velocity but his control of 2 plus pitches impressed me. I don't know about his experiences over the summer but he should be a sure 15 - 20 round draft pick after sr. year.

Hopkins startes Zacarria and tournament most oustanding player Angeloni impressed me with thier stuff despite having rather poor numbers. Zaccaria had great size and arm action to go along with his 14Ks - very impressive. Angeloni was very confident on the mound and had a great slider sinker combo. He showed some real good pop at times and proved to be a great competitor.

Only Hopkins and WW bats impressed me with next level talent. Emr from hopkins has great size and easy power. I was expecting a better performance from Fester who was returning from a knee injury this post season but i already know from his jr year and play in the Texas Collegiate League that he is one of the best DIII hitters in the country. Pietroforte from Hopkins showed a great and clutch arm in the postseason and has great tools.

Johnson and Zalnis were impressive bats for Whitewater. Johnson especially proved himself to be a next level talent as he was extemely coonfident at the plate.

Finally, i was most dissapointed with the lack of professional baseball scouts present to witness the top DIII teams compete...

Ace you are obviously a JHU alum or parent and your comments about these players are not justly deserved. i.e. Kitchens and Yacko, you haven't done your research and you are basing your comments on one game in the WS. if you did do your research you would have seen the number of complete games and hits per nine innings on the NCAA web site that is posted weekly, so before you can comment on any player besides the ones that you are a homer for do your homework!!
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

WLCALUM83

How about J D Rotzoll (Concordia-Chicago):

My justification comes from the following link:

http://www.northernathleticsconf.com/releases/2008_05/20080527c.html