2009 Cortaca Jug

Started by Pat Coleman, November 08, 2009, 02:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How high do you have to be able to count to get a degree from Cortland?

3 (20%)
2 (13.3%)
2 (13.3%)
1 (6.7%)
0, Grastorf will fumble every time.
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Bombers798891

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 09, 2009, 06:48:43 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor that after the loss in the first round last year to Curry that coach Welch added his players to his will requesting that they be his pall bearers should he pass away?  Rumor is that should he die, he wanted to be let down by the team one last time.

Isn't it funny that your taunts have to involve another team beating IC?

Yanks 99

In reference to the fan poll...I never understood why Coach Welch did this, and from what I understand continues to do so.  I remember a Cortaca game at Butterfield one year (I believe it was the year that CS won on a last second TD pass in the same endzone as the score board) where IC punted the ball at least twice while at the CS 30 yard line (one I believe was at the 28-29 yard line).  Both punts went into the endzone.

Great coach...but I never understood this.  At worst...throw it up in the end zone...
Hartwick College 2007 Empire 8 Champions

Bombers798891

Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 11:02:19 AM
In reference to the fan poll...I never understood why Coach Welch did this, and from what I understand continues to do so.  I remember a Cortaca game at Butterfield one year (I believe it was the year that CS won on a last second TD pass in the same endzone as the score board) where IC punted the ball at least twice while at the CS 30 yard line (one I believe was at the 28-29 yard line).  Both punts went into the endzone.

Great coach...but I never understood this.  At worst...throw it up in the end zone...

Looking back, I think Welch made the right call, both times

I think his logic was this:

1) Grastorf was terrible in that game. Absolutely awful. As in 8-25. There was no way you could think he was going to convert a 4th and 9 and 4th and 10 the way he was throwing. It was windy, cold, and he wasn't doing anything in the passing game

2) Curry was down 21-18 at the time, but they three kicks blocked in the game, and muffed a snap on another XP. They weren't playing to get into FG range to kick it and force OT. They needed a TD. Everyone in the stadium knew it. Even when they scored to go up 24-21, they risked going for two.

3) I think Welch believed it would be tougher for Curry to drive all the way down the field on Ithaca, and even gaining 10-15 yards on a punt could be huge. And I think he had confidence in his coverage unit and punter to down one at the goal line (they came close on the first one)

Ultimately, Grastorf just wasn't playing well enough to justify going for it. Heck, he had a man open on the slant the second to last play of the game that would have won it and he wasn't even close.

I'm ultra-critical of the team and the coach, but I think he made the right call there. They wouldn't have picked up those 1st downs anyway

SJFF82

Quote from: cstate19 on November 08, 2009, 06:21:42 PM
Quote from: maxpower on November 08, 2009, 12:22:39 PM
Who will actually be in attendance? Max will be at his first Cortaca since 2005...

Cstate19?

Oh, sorry man, "attendance" = "present at a function or place".

Cstate19 will be in da house!

I don't know what to call the stadium where you play your games.  First it was Butterfield and then after we took the field over twice it was changed to Chugger West, and last I heard it was Curry field.  

Its Growney...has been for a few years now....thats GROU-KNEE...

Yanks 99

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 12:11:47 PM

1) Grastorf was terrible in that game. Absolutely awful. As in 8-25. There was no way you could think he was going to convert a 4th and 9 and 4th and 10 the way he was throwing. It was windy, cold, and he wasn't doing anything in the passing game

2) Curry was down 21-18 at the time, but they three kicks blocked in the game, and muffed a snap on another XP. They weren't playing to get into FG range to kick it and force OT. They needed a TD. Everyone in the stadium knew it. Even when they scored to go up 24-21, they risked going for two.

3) I think Welch believed it would be tougher for Curry to drive all the way down the field on Ithaca, and even gaining 10-15 yards on a punt could be huge. And I think he had confidence in his coverage unit and punter to down one at the goal line (they came close on the first one)

Ultimately, Grastorf just wasn't playing well enough to justify going for it. Heck, he had a man open on the slant the second to last play of the game that would have won it and he wasn't even close.

I'm ultra-critical of the team and the coach, but I think he made the right call there. They wouldn't have picked up those 1st downs anyway

I cannot speak to the Curry game (if you were there...I will take your word for it that it was the right call).  But do you remember the Cortaca game I mentioned above?  If I remember right, they were moving the ball up and down the field (I am about 90% sure that BY was the QB then) against a .500 Cortland team.  On that day (and that day only) punting at the CS 30 seemed to make zero sense...especially because it wasn't like 4th goal/15+ or anything like that.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 01:09:23 PM

I cannot speak to the Curry game (if you were there...I will take your word for it that it was the right call).  But do you remember the Cortaca game I mentioned above?  If I remember right, they were moving the ball up and down the field (I am about 90% sure that BY was the QB then) against a .500 Cortland team.  On that day (and that day only) punting at the CS 30 seemed to make zero sense...especially because it wasn't like 4th goal/15+ or anything like that.

That was 1997 I think. (Boy, when you start with the qualifier "Cortland won at Ithaca" it really narrows down the number of games you have to flip through  :D.) I don't recall the punt in question, although, if memory serves me correctly, that last TD was a busted play where the Ithaca safety fell down. The weather was terrible that day, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Although if BY was the QB, that would make it 1999. I was there and I don't recall there being an incident like that. Just an epic 4th quarter collapse by the Bombers.

I can't confirm nor deny the call in that instance except to say that asking Young to "throw it up" was never a good plan. (And frankly, the QB of the 1997 team, Mike O'Donovan, had issues with INTS too)

Yanks 99

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 01:34:12 PM
Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 01:09:23 PM

That was 1997 I think. (Boy, when you start with the qualifier "Cortland won at Ithaca" it really narrows down the number of games you have to flip through  :D.) I don't recall the punt in question, although, if memory serves me correctly, that last TD was a busted play where the Ithaca safety fell down. The weather was terrible that day, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Although if BY was the QB, that would make it 1999. I was there and I don't recall there being an incident like that. Just an epic 4th quarter collapse by the Bombers.

I can't confirm nor deny the call in that instance except to say that asking Young to "throw it up" was never a good plan. (And frankly, the QB of the 1997 team, Mike O'Donovan, had issues with INTS too)

Now that you mention it...I think it was 97...I do remember the safety falling down on that play...and I am even more sure it was O'Donovan at QB and not BY.

On that day, I still thought it made more sense to throw it up to the endzone.  At worst, the ball gets knocked down and CS takes over at the 30 or it gets picked in the endzone and they start at the 20.  At best, someone makes a play and you put 6 on the board.  I mean, to punt and get 10 yards in field position is ridiculous.

RedDragonFan

Isn't it funny that your taunts have to involve another team beating IC?
[/quote]

Excellent point and to take that train of thought a couple of steps further, another team that I believe Cortland beat 42 zip in the second round of the games that one could argue are probably a bit more meaningful at least to those outside the Cortland Ithaca campuses.

maxpower

But we're not outside those campuses, and it's a good think we shat the bed against Curry, because you would have had the embarrassment of losing TWO to IC...

cstate19

It makes sense that your quarterback was awful in the Curry game, but both punts went into the endzone! The net was ten freakin yards! Whats the difference between Curry going 80 down the field or going 70?

I am hoping Coach Grape Jelly brings those game management skills on Saturday.

cstate19

Quote from: maxpower on November 09, 2009, 03:57:58 PM
But we're not outside those campuses, and it's a good think we shat the bed against Curry, because you would have had the embarrassment of losing TWO to IC...

That's an embarrasing quote.  Its a good thing we lost to a terrible team or else we would have really kicked your butt!

Sounds like the logic of a 2nd grader!

Bombers798891

Quote from: cstate19 on November 09, 2009, 03:58:51 PM

That's an embarrasing quote.  Its a good thing we lost to a terrible team or else we would have really kicked your butt!

Yeah, but you still have to cling to things Curry did to us. But I'm glad to know the third NCAA win your school has ever had is a source of pride to you. Nothing like making the quarterfinals for the first time ever!

Yanks 99

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 04:10:51 PM

Yeah, but you still have to cling to things Curry did to us. But I'm glad to know the third NCAA win your school has ever had is a source of pride to you. Nothing like making the quarterfinals for the first time ever!

Has anyone ever had an easier route to the quarterfinals then two NEFC teams in a row?

Bombers798891

Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 04:13:34 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 04:10:51 PM

Has anyone ever had an easier route to the quarterfinals then two NEFC teams in a row?

Ithaca in 1988 and 1991. Mind you, that's because we were actually good.

RedDragonFan

I see no logic in this comment although your writing skills are outstanding as you don't see many people using the phrase "shat the bed" but if that somehow "floats your boat", "butters your biscuit" or wait, almost forgot your IC stock, "Tickles your pickle", knock yourself out.  That aside, would have loved to have seen Cortaca II but not our fault you couldn't pull it off.  And yes we did enjoy going that deep into the playoffs even if it were the first time particularly in a year that IC crapped out when it counted.