BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Mount swept a not-so-good Knox team easily yesterday 8-1 and 11-0.  Mary and Davis went on 3 days rest and both improved to 3-0.  Mary struck out 10 for the second consecutive start.  Davis fanned 12 and gave up only 2 hits in 6 shutout IP.  It's early, but I'm slightly concerned about the pitching beyond those two.  Satovich was up and down as the #3.  Beyond that they're very young.  Their staff is basically 2 senior starters (Mary, Satovich) and then all sophomores and freshmen.  They had 2 freshmen start games in FL. 

Looking at the OAC schedule the JCU DH is a midweek one meaning the 3-4 will need to face a very dangerous Streaks lineup.  The other midweek is Etta which always presents its own challenges.  The saving grace there is that the Pios have not had great pitching so far albeit against very good teams though.

Dr. Acula

Skimming the OAC box scores I npticed that Taw started for BW on 3/15.  He had 1 AB then subbed out.  He didn't appear in their games 3/16 or 3/17.  Hopefully he isn't hurt.

We're just 5 days away from the start of the OAC schedule.  Hard to believe. 

D3baseballparent

Taw not in lineup again today. Maybe saving him for Marietta Saturday.

old scot

What is up with Etta  4and 7 is not in there mo.. The once national powerhouse seems to have falled on hard time lately

Dr. Acula

Quote from: old scot on March 19, 2019, 06:13:39 PM
What is up with Etta  4and 7 is not in there mo.. The once national powerhouse seems to have falled on hard time lately

Three of their losses are to top 7 teams.  Two more are to ranked teams so they've played their typical brutal schedule.  But it's funny you mention that because I actually went back and looked it up a few days ago because I was wondering when is the last time they had what I'd call an old school Etta Express team. 

2018:  27-18, 12-6 OAC, 0-2 NCAA
2017:  22-18, 14-4 OAC
2016:  28-17, 13-5 OAC, 0-2 NCAA
2015:  29-18, 12-6 OAC, 1-2 NCAA
2014:  30-16, 15-3 OAC, 1-2 NCAA
2013:  32-14, 15-3 OAC, 3-2 NCAA
2012:  48-8, 16-2 OAC, 11-2 NCAA (National Champs)

Obviously they won it all in 2011 and 2012 so those are the pinnacle of any program.  But I'd say 2013 was the last "typical" Etta season IMO.  Win 30+ games and make a run in the regional.  It's hard to say a program is down that has been in the NCAA tournament 6 of the last 7 years, but the bar is higher on the River.  Making the regional and going two and out is not an acceptable season for them I'd guess.  To me the biggest difference is pitching.  Etta was good all over, but their pitching was always better and deeper.  That seems to have dropped off recently.  I remember watching a game at Etta against Cap which Etta miraculously won and thinking "Borkey is the pitcher that threw in this game."  Never in my life would I have thought Cap's closer would be better than anyone I saw from Etta, but it was true IMO. 

I think Etta is going to probably lose 6 games in the OAC again this year.  This will likely be the 6th straight year they don't win the OAC (regular season).
Their calling card has always been the tough OOC slate, but the OAC has caught up with them so maybe it isn't as necessary as it once was?  This isn't like when I played and everyone was intimidated by Etta and they went 17-1 or 18-0 in the OAC.  No one is afraid of the pinstripes these days.

D3baseballparent

Marietta's entire pitching staff is freshmen and sophomores. They did a terrible job last year of developing any young pitching as only one freshman logged any meaningful innings. Looks like they are paying for it this year as they don't have anyone that isn't getting hit. Wiggins is their ace and he is 0-3. Offensively they are pretty young also. Only four juniors and seniors combined are getting playing time. This might be the year they don't qualify for the OAC tournament. They will have to mature quickly in order to avoid falling out of the top four. Saturday at BW should be telling. Cody should be all BW will need to win one game. Not sure Etta has anyone that can pitch well enough to hold BW down enough to win game 2.

Dr. Acula

Etta's team ERA is 6.07 which I never thought I'd see something like that.  But I think Etta can certainly split with BW.  The Jackets have uncharacteristically not been hitting well this year.  They're dead last at .246 as a team.  If Taw is still out that is (surprisingly) a manageable lineup to pitch against right now.  Cody has been lights out so that'll be a tall order to score much in game 1.  I'm curious to see if Harrison goes with Raines or Aukerman (who has been excellent so far) in game 2. 

D3baseballparent

Etta ERA even higher after giving up 15 runs in game one against LaRoche today. Every pitcher gave up at least 2 earned runs in 2 or less innings of work. Staff is a bunch of 5'10" right handers  who throw 80 MPH. Better hitting teams are going to hammer them.

Dr. Acula

Ott drops to 7-7 with back-to-back losses to .500 teams (OWU, Bluffton).  Another squad that is not hitting the ball like they normally do.  I thought they were the favorites this year, but IMO it looks like Berg and JCU so far.  Berg just pummeled #18 Adrian today 16-5.  I'd slot BW next just because I think their pitching is good enough to keep them in it until their hitting comes around.  Mount has been hitting the crap out of the ball so far (.389 team BA), but I'm wait and see with the pitching and that always makes me nervous.  I'd put them in the group with ONU, Ott and Etta battling for the 4th spot. 

joelmama

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 20, 2019, 10:12:54 PM
Ott drops to 7-7 with back-to-back losses to .500 teams (OWU, Bluffton).  Another squad that is not hitting the ball like they normally do.  I thought they were the favorites this year, but IMO it looks like Berg and JCU so far.  Berg just pummeled #18 Adrian today 16-5.  I'd slot BW next just because I think their pitching is good enough to keep them in it until their hitting comes around.  Mount has been hitting the crap out of the ball so far (.389 team BA), but I'm wait and see with the pitching and that always makes me nervous.  I'd put them in the group with ONU, Ott and Etta battling for the 4th spot.
That last part is really hard to imagine that etta could be the middle of the OAC pack.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: joelmama on March 21, 2019, 01:52:49 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 20, 2019, 10:12:54 PM
That last part is really hard to imagine that etta could be the middle of the OAC pack.

Trust me, I have trouble believing it myself, but I think it could happen this year.  I'm not saying they're going to be bad by any stretch.  I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if they finished 4th or missed the OAC tournament altogether.  The OAC is brutal right now.  Ott maybe slides back a little but now here are Berg and JCU looking strong.  This is just a strong conference. 

Dr. Acula

I have not seen him play yet, but I'm excited to see Mount catcher Coleman Stauffer throw the ball.  He's already picked a guy off 2nd and thrown out the only runner stealing in game 1.  He's now picked off 3 runners and thrown out 7 of 14 attempting to steal on the season.

Dr. Acula

Interesting start to the OAC schedule yesterday.  All 4 DH were sweeps which obviously is nearly unheard of in this conference.

Wilmington sweeps Musky.  I'll start there just because it's a great thing for the Quakers.  The Quakers closed out both games strong with their pen holding narrow margins in both games.  I really think Musky is the toughest job in the OAC in pretty much any sport.  With a seasoned and successful HC at Wilm now we may see that come to light if Wilm ceases being the annual 10th place team.  My hope just as an OAC fan is that Wilm can build some momentum this year and get a nice class recruited to start being competitive, especially OOC.

JCU swept Cap which is hardly surprising.  Despite the final score in game 1, Cap was hanging around (down 4-1) until JCU's bats finally dealt them the knock out blow in the 7th with 4 more runs.  Cap had the tying run on 3rd and winner on 2nd with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, but popped out and struck out to lose 5-4.  I know I say it every year, but Grice somehow has Cap hanging around in OAC games again and again when I just don't think their roster should be.

Bye kept ONU in it with Berg.  0-0 heading to the 6th, but Jenkins got him for a 3 run bomb in the 6th and then the wheels fell off in the 7th (8 runs).  Berg can hit the ball and they hit for power.  If their pitching holds up they're going to be dangerous.  Adkins was fantastic (7 IP, 0 R, 10 K) and Sir Louis was solid (5 IP, 2 R).  ONU looked like Mount...one good start and not much else from your staff.

Mount took their shovels to Westerville and dug themselves a hole to climb out of.  Mary gave them a strong start exiting in the bottom of the 7th up 2-0 with 2 runners on.  He was quickly handed the ND as both inherited runners scored.  Ott walked it off with a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th to win 6-2.  I was worried that would carry over into game 2 and Ott immediately put a couple on the board in the 1st.  Mount showed some grit answering with 5 in the 2nd, but gave 3 up right away in the 2nd to tie it up.  Davis had good stuff (8 K in 4 IP) but got hit around (6 R, 9 H).  My bigger concern is the bullpen.  I just don't know what they have beyond Mary and Davis right now.  They brought in a starter (Satovich) to relieve Davis.  Not a big deal since this isn't MLB and guys have no issues relieving at this level, but what concerned me was that Ostrowski relieved Mary.  He's always their first reliever.  But after they burned him in game 1 (which I agree wholeheartedly with in a tie game) they went to a starter and then a freshman out of the pen.  They're just going to take some lumps in the bullpen purely because of youth.  It is what it is.   

Dr. Acula

I always enjoy listening to Wharff call some Pioneer games.  They dropped game 1 in Berea 11-2, but are trying to hold on up 3-0 in game 2 late.  Sabatine has been excellent on the mound in game 2. 

Man, Marietta is young.  Their #1 and 2 starters are a sophomore and a freshman.  They have only 1 senior/2 juniors with 3 freshman and 3 sophomores starting in the field against BW right now. 

Dr. Acula

Berg and Etta split today.  Wiggins pitched very well in the 3-1 win.  Berg bounced back 7-4 in the second game.  I listened to/watched most of the second game.  Brewer could not have been happy in the 9th.  Wenning gets himself in a bit of trouble with 2 outs.  Runners on first and third up 3.  Well, it brings up Hale with the wind howling out to right center.  Yenzi tries to score on a wild pitch and gets thrown out at the plate to end the game.  You just have to let Hale swing the bat there.  It wasn't even that close at home.  He was out pretty easily.  You claw your way to the tying run coming to bat, a guy who can hit it out...and he doesn't even get a chance.  Tough break.