FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

criswyly

Beause the ruling wasn't just about homosexuals and lesbians...it was also about letting trans-men play on women's teams.
Don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: criswyly on June 17, 2020, 05:31:52 PM
Beause the ruling wasn't just about homosexuals and lesbians...it was also about letting trans-men play on women's teams.

Of which there are a totally insignificant number - none of whom are Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) Jenner.

That is hardly the 'death' of women's sports. ::)

Sheesh!  Get a grip.

hazzben

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 17, 2020, 08:00:07 PM

Of which there are a totally insignificant number - none of whom are Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) Jenner.

Sheesh!  Get a grip.

It's not necessarily crazy talk. I've got a good friend who was a 2 time AA soccer player at Minnesota and played professionally in Germany for 7 years. She just landed a job as D1 assistant out west. We've been having ongoing dialogue about this issue.

There is serious concern about this from people who play, lead, and coach in women's athletics. While there aren't a huge number of trans athletes, she (and those she's spoken with) is definitely concerned about how this will affect access and competition. I don't think anyone can call it the death of women's sports at this point (Title IX didn't change things overnight). But they've been quietly thinking through these issues for several years. This week's legal decision absolutely accelerated the process.

formerd3db

Quote from: hazzben on June 18, 2020, 01:50:00 PM

Sheesh!  Get a grip.

It's not necessarily crazy talk. I've got a good friend who was a 2 time AA soccer player at Minnesota and played professionally in Germany for 7 years. She just landed a job as D1 assistant out west. We've been having ongoing dialogue about this issue.

There is serious concern about this from people who play, lead, and coach in women's athletics. While there aren't a huge number of trans athletes, she (and those she's spoken with) is definitely concerned about how this will affect access and competition. I don't think anyone can call it the death of women's sports at this point (Title IX didn't change things overnight). But they've been quietly thinking through these issues for several years. This week's legal decision absolutely accelerated the process.

Yes, that conversation has been going on for some time.  There have already been some lawsuits filed involving high schools across the country in regards to trans-identification persons (male-to-female) participating in girl's/women's sports alleging unfair advantage as to inherent abilities (strength, endurance, muscular build, hormonal issues, etc.) for performance.  I'm sure we'll be seeing those issues being more litigated in the future.  Certainly not the death of women's sports, however, a larger, unclear overall situation that will have to be sorted out.  As you say, this recent legal decision will accelerate the process. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

hazzben

Quote from: formerd3db on June 18, 2020, 02:16:06 PM
Quote from: hazzben on June 18, 2020, 01:50:00 PM

Sheesh!  Get a grip.

Yes, that conversation has been going on for some time.  There have already been some lawsuits filed involving high schools across the country in regards to trans-identification persons (male-to-female) participating in girl's/women's sports alleging unfair advantage as to inherent abilities (strength, endurance, muscular build, hormonal issues, etc.) for performance.  I'm sure we'll be seeing those issues being more litigated in the future.  Certainly not the death of women's sports, however, a larger, unclear overall situation that will have to be sorted out.  As you say, this recent legal decision will accelerate the process.

Just one example, but there are several cases filed and pending in Connecticut that could prove precedent setting given the recent ruling, and it's application to female athletics.

Two transgender female sprinters have been dominating the 100 and 200 meter sprints in the state and region. Starting as sophomore's they won multiple state and NE Regional titles. Parents of the girls they beat filed suit. And the transgender athletes filed suit. I think it's telling that both side are filing suit and making reference to Title IX. Also telling that these athletes won by wide margins as Sophomore's, and the article states that part of the issue is how these performances effect the ability to athletes to attain college scholarships. This will become an issue that all states have to sort out, and the recent SCOTUS ruling will play a role.

https://www.courant.com/sports/high-schools/hc-sp-transgender-policy-runners-respond-20190619-20190620-5x2c7s2f5jb6dnw2dwpftiw6ru-story.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/transgender-teens-outrun-track-field-competitors-critics-close/story?id=55856294

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/high-school-athletes-file-complaint-over-transgender-policy-n1019306

https://www.wfsb.com/news/3-ct-high-school-girls-track-athletes-file-suit-after-transgender-girls-win-their-events/article_9f73e28e-4dc9-11ea-9449-af76cf05bbe7.html

https://www.gametimect.com/jeff-jacobs-as-records-fall-at-girls-state-open-track-debate-rages-over-transgender-issue/

D O.C.

I would like to thank all the other conference / region posters for coming on here and filling up our pages - especially you Master Copy and Pasters.

criswyly

Ypsi, time will tell.  I'm betting in the next five years or less transgenders will make major steps into women's sports, starting with the WNBA and US Women's Soccer team.  Good bye Robin.  So sorry.

criswyly

Ypsi,
I hope you are right.

hazzben

Quote from: D O.C. on June 24, 2020, 02:29:32 AM
I would like to thank all the other conference / region posters for coming on here and filling up our pages - especially you Master Copy and Pasters.

I'm not trying to read tone into this, but it seems like a dig. Am I correct in reading this as a "get off 'our board'" statement?

I wasn't making a judgment about whether the ruling is right or wrong, but just that this has been and will increasingly be a flashpoint. It's why I tried to post articles from both sides of the issue.

Apologies DOC if outside posters aren't welcome on the NWC board. I'll assume you won't be posting on the MIAC board in the future as well  ???

MUC57

Quote from: hazzben on June 25, 2020, 12:06:01 PM

I'm not trying to read tone into this, but it seems like a dig. Am I correct in reading this as a "get off 'our board'" statement?

I wasn't making a judgment about whether the ruling is right or wrong, but just that this has been and will increasingly be a flashpoint. It's why I tried to post articles from both sides of the issue.

Apologies DOC if outside posters aren't welcome on the NWC board. I'll assume you won't be posting on the MIAC board in the future as well  ???

Now, children. I like both of you guys and read all your posts.
Can't we all just get along? 🍺 🍺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

formerd3db

Quote from: MUC57 on June 25, 2020, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: hazzben on June 25, 2020, 12:06:01 PM

Now, children. I like both of you guys and read all your posts.
Can't we all just get along? 🍺 🍺

hazzben:

I had the same thoughts as you as his post is confusing. ??? :) 

Sorry, MUC57, my friend, but I had to comment also.  I'm with you on the peacemaking, but this was questionable.  There should be no objection to honest and appropriate discussion, even if divergent opinions and, especially, as in this case, when no judgements were leveled at anyone or either side of the issue. :)  It was simply adding known, factual information to the discussion.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

I generally have told people that if you don't like what's being posted, post something else yourself.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MUC57

formerd3db

Hi Doc

I didn't attempt to weigh the merits of either individual, I just was asking for peace. I really do like both of these guys. Your explanation was, your usual, right on. You went deeper than I did.
Stay safe! 😷   ;D

D O.C.

Hi Everybody!
I'm glad we have guests on the NWC board because this uncertainty has slowed our board down.

I haven't been on here this week. Been in the hospital undergoing gender reass  abdominal reconstruction surgery; cut from stem to stern. No lifting even a milk jug for 2 months.

Peace Out!

MUC57

Quote from: D O.C. on June 30, 2020, 10:59:15 PM
Hi Everybody!
I'm glad we have guests on the NWC board because this uncertainty has slowed our board down.

I haven't been on here this week. Been in the hospital undergoing gender reass  abdominal reconstruction surgery; cut from stem to stern. No lifting even a milk jug for 2 months.

Peace Out!

D O.C.

Hope you're recovering OK! Can you lift a small mug of beer? Just a thought.
You think your board is slow? The OAC board is almost non-existent. I post a lot on the MIAC board. It's pretty lively. Another good one is NESCAC.

Stay safe and stay well. 🍺 😃