Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

I just put two and two together. Bob Jones U is the school mentioned in The Ladykillers (Tom Hanks movie). ::)
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

roocru

Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

Ron Boerger

On a totally different subject, today's tax reform proposal apparently would come at cost to some colleges, with wider implications for all

Excerpted from http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/358542-winners-and-losers-in-the-gop-tax-bill

Universities
The tax bill would add a new tax on universities with big endowments.

Colleges and universities that have endowments equivalent to $100,000 per student or more will have to pay a new 1.4 percent tax on endowment income.

Universities build their endowments from donations that are tax deductible. The plan would also put limitations on certain donations, such as those attached to sporting events.

[...]

The bill would also eliminate the interest deduction on student loans, which affects about a third of Americans with student debt.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Ron Boerger

And, the latest from the AA itself on D3:

http://www.ncaa.org/champion/goals-met-goals-set?sf147775061=1

Goals Met, Goals Set
DIII makes strides on key initiatives despite recent budget strife, eyes new programs

After staring down potential budget shortfalls in recent years, Division III governance committees made difficult decisions to help bring the division's budget back in order. Their careful cuts to championships spending were temporary remedies, and some cost-saving measures — such as championships per diem cuts — gradually are being eased back amid a rosier financial picture.

How rosy? This spring, the Division III Presidents Council felt comfortable offering a credit to schools to offset the roughly $500,000 cumulative annual membership dues increase that was slated to go into effect this August.

more info at the link above on recent and upcoming initiatives.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 06, 2017, 10:45:04 AM

Goals Met, Goals Set
DIII makes strides on key initiatives despite recent budget strife, eyes new programs

After staring down potential budget shortfalls in recent years, Division III governance committees made difficult decisions to help bring the division's budget back in order. Their careful cuts to championships spending were temporary remedies, and some cost-saving measures — such as championships per diem cuts — gradually are being eased back amid a rosier financial picture.

How rosy? This spring, the Division III Presidents Council felt comfortable offering a credit to schools to offset the roughly $500,000 cumulative annual membership dues increase that was slated to go into effect this August.

This may be considered crazy, but I wish the NCAA just held onto the money reaped in by the increase to membership dues and either added a bit more to championships or held onto it in a rainy-day fund. The dues increase was overwhelmingly approved and considering how low the dues were to begin with (and arguably low now), I don't know if sending the money back makes any sense. Again, hold on to it for an extra flight when warranted in a championship tournament or put it in a rainy-day fund to help at any point in the future when the budget will get tighter. This division is so large and continually growing that it has to consider another round of living with a tight budget (who knows how long the D1 contracts stay so lucrative).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 06, 2017, 11:01:53 AM

Goals Met, Goals Set

This may be considered crazy, but I wish the NCAA just held onto the money reaped in by the increase to membership dues and either added a bit more to championships or held onto it in a rainy-day fund. The dues increase was overwhelmingly approved and considering how low the dues were to begin with (and arguably low now), I don't know if sending the money back makes any sense. Again, hold on to it for an extra flight when warranted in a championship tournament or put it in a rainy-day fund to help at any point in the future when the budget will get tighter. This division is so large and continually growing that it has to consider another round of living with a tight budget (who knows how long the D1 contracts stay so lucrative).
+1!

When there is speculation in the sports journalism punditry about ESPN dropping the NFL, the NCAA needs some forward-thinking about how to replace shortfalls in revenue in the D-1 sports.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-espn-could-abandon-nfl-football-guest-column-1052792

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 06, 2017, 01:02:54 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 06, 2017, 11:01:53 AM

Goals Met, Goals Set

+1!

When there is speculation in the sports journalism punditry about ESPN dropping the NFL, the NCAA needs some forward-thinking about how to replace shortfalls in revenue in the D-1 sports.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-espn-could-abandon-nfl-football-guest-column-1052792

I always remind people of this: remember the NCAA gets absolutely nothing from the college football contracts of the FBS. They only get the contracts of FCS and any sport that is national televised (basketball, baseball, softball). That said, who knows where the future is with all these things. I personally think the demand will still be there, but to what degree is very much up in the air.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Regardless of whether Ralph's comment was meant to be specific to CFB putting money in the Indy coffers, it's definitely valid as a leading indicator that we should all be worried about with regards to television contracts and sports funding.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Interesting article on declining college enrollments likely starting in around ten years, and the scenarios discussed could have a definite impact on the multitude of D3 schools located in areas where the number of college attendees is projected to decline the most.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/01/27/higher-education-is-headed-for-a-supply-and-demand-crisis/

Quote"...the country is heading into a lengthy period of significant differences in growth by region. The South and to a certain extent the West will account for nearly all the growth in the high school population over the next decade-plus. At the same time, the Northeast and Midwest — home to the highest density of colleges in the United States with a history of student migration between states —show a continued and steady decline."

If you accept the basic premises presented here (percentage of high school graduates will decline, students will be less willing to travel long distances to attend colleges, financial aid will become even more crucial among them), elite schools will continue to do well, near-elite schools will probably be ok, other schools could struggle due to declining numbers.     

Ralph Turner

Mississippi University for Women is resuming intercollegiate athletics with 5 men's and 5 women's sports (but no Winter Sports for either men or women).  They were D-2 (women only) when they discontinued intercollegiate athletics 15 years ago.  The Mission/Vision Statement say that they are D-3.

http://www.owlsathletics.com/information/mission_vision

The baseball schedule is a mixture of D-3, NAIA and others.

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 10, 2018, 09:58:16 PM
Mississippi University for Women is resuming intercollegiate athletics with 5 men's and 5 women's sports (but no Winter Sports for either men or women).  They were D-2 (women only) when they discontinued intercollegiate athletics 15 years ago.  The Mission/Vision Statement say that they are D-3.

Is it a requirement from the NCAA you have at least one sport in each season? I seem to remember it is but I can't find where I saw it.

Ralph Turner

I believe that it is 5 sports of which there must be one sport in each season. If they do not want hoops, they can have swimming and diving which would work well as an independent.

Gray Fox

Some kind of oxymoron.
Fierce When Roused

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I was under the impression they were making their way into D3 and possibly changing their name. I don't remember where that was last posted, but it was discussed in the last year.

As for sports, I believe you have to have a minimum, but last I checked, I don't think there is a season requirement. Case in point, Mass Maritime has NO winter season sports.