BB: SCAC: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 04, 2006, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stitches

Trinity dominated TLU and wins 11-2.

Trinity faces Centenary which should be a good game and TLU faces SWern in an elimination game.

ILVBB

It will be a color coded Saturday, the Burgundy game followed by the Yellow/Black game.

108 Stitches

Centenary (winner) faces Trinity in the SCAC championship game today at 12:00CDT
Quick summary of games:
Fri. 28   
Centenary (La.)    6   Southwestern 4   
Texas Lutheran  2   Trinity 11   

Sat. 29   
Centenary 5   Trinity (Tex.) 3   
Texas Lutheran  3   Southwestern 4   TLU eliminated
Southwestern 3   Trinity   4           SWU eliminated

Sun. 30   Centenary vs Trinity        12:00 PM CDT   
if necessary game 3:30PM

All of the games were well played and competitive (except for the Trinity/TLU game)

I was really impressed with how prepared and tough the SWU Pirates were. All of their games were hard fought and tight. Congrats to their coaches for getting the team prepared as well as the players.

Pitching performance of Sat had to be Chris Tate of Trinity who pitched the final 6-2/3 innings and was dominant with 11K's four hits and one unearned run. He basically put the team on his back (in spite of two critical errors) and put the Tigers in the championship game.

IMO Centenary has to win the first game today if they want to win their first championship or the advantage will shift to Trinity with their pitching depth. This was exactly the situation two years ago when Trinity made their first trip to the CWS after coming through the loser bracket at the SCAC championship defeating Centenary twice on championship day.

I really like the location selection as well as the video feed and announcers. The only thing lacking is a SCAC recap of the games and I really miss the post game interviews. This is something they need to re-start IMO. 

Live feed here:
http://sportsgram.net/live.php

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 30, 2017, 12:10:39 PM
Centenary (winner) faces Trinity in the SCAC championship game today at 12:00CDT
Quick summary of games:
Fri. 28   
Centenary (La.)    6   Southwestern 4   
Texas Lutheran  2   Trinity 11   

Sat. 29   
Centenary 5   Trinity (Tex.) 3   
Texas Lutheran  3   Southwestern 4   TLU eliminated
Southwestern 3   Trinity   4           SWU eliminated

Sun. 30   Centenary vs Trinity        12:00 PM CDT   
if necessary game 3:30PM

All of the games were well played and competitive (except for the Trinity/TLU game)

I was really impressed with how prepared and tough the SWU Pirates were. All of their games were hard fought and tight. Congrats to their coaches for getting the team prepared as well as the players.

Pitching performance of Sat had to be Chris Tate of Trinity who pitched the final 6-2/3 innings and was dominant with 11K's four hits and one unearned run. He basically put the team on his back (in spite of two critical errors) and put the Tigers in the championship game.

IMO Centenary has to win the first game today if they want to win their first championship or the advantage will shift to Trinity with their pitching depth. This was exactly the situation two years ago when Trinity made their first trip to the CWS after coming through the loser bracket at the SCAC championship defeating Centenary twice on championship day.

I really like the location selection as well as the video feed and announcers. The only thing lacking is a SCAC recap of the games and I really miss the post game interviews. This is something they need to re-start IMO. 

Live feed here:
http://sportsgram.net/live.php

The location is great and is where the D2 World Series is being held this year.

108 Stitches

Trinity just took game one in dramatic fashion winning 10-9 in regulation.

Trinity went up 8-2 and gave the game away with sloppy play in the 8th and then came back and scored 2 to retake the lead and close it out in the 9th.

Final game with winner take all for SCAC championship in one hour or so.

Advantage has to go to Trinity in how they were so far ahead, gave up the game and then came back in the 9th and stole the game from Centenary. Should be a wild game with both teams now into their bullpens and windy conditions are favoring a high scoring game.

108 Stitches

...well now so much for the pitching depth theory. Cent leading Trinity 11 - 1 bottom 5.

108 Stitches

A big congratulations to Centenary who win the SCAC for the first time and will represent the league at the Western Regionals.  It really has been a great program the last 5 years and they finally break out of Trinity's shadow. Congrats to them and all of the players who have come before them who have built this proud program up.  They beat Trinity convincingly in the championship game 13-3.

Go Gents!

108 Stitches

Former Trinity bench Coach JC Bunch takes over SWern baseball program.

http://www.southwesternpirates.com/sports/m-basebl/2016-17/releases/20170713lc4z0e

I guess this means Trinity is looking for a new bench coach and recruiting coordinator. Maybe someone can talk Coach Fregosi out of "retirement".

Ron Boerger

Quote from: 108 Stitches on July 20, 2017, 12:13:58 PM
Former Trinity bench Coach JC Bunch takes over SWern baseball program.

http://www.southwesternpirates.com/sports/m-basebl/2016-17/releases/20170713lc4z0e

I guess this means Trinity is looking for a new bench coach and recruiting coordinator. Maybe someone can talk Coach Fregosi out of "retirement".

I missed the news that Coach Thomas had left SW last month to take an assistant role at D-I Richmond.   Coach Bunch will no doubt keep the Bucs on the upward track Thomas had led the team on the last few years.

Ron Boerger

The SCAC released its preseason poll today and Centenary is the consensus to repeat as conference champion, receiving 5 first-place votes to Trinity's 2.  The Gents return an awful lot of the talent that saw them in the postseason for the first time in program history last year - six starting position players, including SCAC PoTY Chris Zapata, and the entire starting pitching lineup, including SCAC Pitcher of the year Matthew Devillier.   

Ralph Turner

St Thomas of Houston has announced it has been approved for Exploratory Membership for D-3 in 2018-19. If accepted, then it would have a 4-year process to full membership.

They plan to add baseball in 2019-20, Provisional year 1. That would give the SCAC 8 baseball members.

https://www.stthom.edu/News/Press-Releases/University-of-St-Thomas-Announces-NCAA-Division-III-Exploratory-Membership.aqf?Content_ID=110665&0=0

Can you imagine how strong UST-TX could be building a D-3 program in baseball strong Houston?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 14, 2018, 08:37:02 PM
St Thomas of Houston has announced it has been approved for Exploratory Membership for D-3 in 2018-19. If accepted, then it would have a 4-year process to full membership.

They plan to add baseball in 2019-20, Provisional year 1. That would give the SCAC 8 baseball members.

https://www.stthom.edu/News/Press-Releases/University-of-St-Thomas-Announces-NCAA-Division-III-Exploratory-Membership.aqf?Content_ID=110665&0=0

Can you imagine how strong UST-TX could be building a D-3 program in baseball strong Houston?

That would be great as I live about 10 miles from campus.

108 Stitches

Certainly would have a large pool of talent to draw from. I know Trinity typically has quite a few Houston area players on the team so there will some additional competition for talent. I don't know anything about the academics of St Thomas but Trinity is typically ranked right behind Rice in academics in the state. It will be great to have an even number of teams to balance out the SCAC schedules.

Ron Boerger

UST's admission standards are mid-pack SCAC, trailing Colorado College, Trinity, Southwestern, and UDallas, roughly the same as Centenary (and that's a rough overall order).  ~1800 students, ACT 21-26, New SAT 1070-1250/Reading 27-32.  Tuition is on the "lower" end at $33K/year but you would really need to look at net tuition after aid to make a comparison.

108 Stitches

Looks like there will be a dog fight at the top of the SCAC this year with TLU @9-0, Centenary @ 6-2, and Trinity seemingly back to their formidable self at 5-0. Another interesting take is Schreiner @ 4-7 and teams thinking they have an easy spot in their schedule with them will have to think twice. It's really early and I have not looked at the other conferences yet but if this continues its not unreasonable to see two teams coming out of the SCAC to the West Regional this year.

I saw parts of a couple of the Trinity games this weekend and they remind me a bit of the 2015 CWS runner up with a nice combination of power arms and power bats. Centenary is still the favorite until proven otherwise but TLU and Trinity both look pretty impressive in the first part of the season.