BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on November 22, 2017, 01:11:31 PM
Some additional schedules have been released and here are the non-conference matchups.

Chapman
Vanguard (exhibition)
Concordia (TX) x1 @Tucson, AZ
UT Dallas x1 @Tucson, AZ
Sul Ross x1 @Tucson, AZ
Castleton x1
Concordia (WI) x2
Ursinus x1
Vassar x1
Ithaca x1
Dickinson x2
Linfield x1
Middlebury x1
Williams x1
George Fox x1

Pomona-Pitzer
Lewis & Clark x1
Whitman x2
Willamette x1
Bates x1
Castleton x1
Puget Sound x1
Rutgers-Newark x1
Dickinson x1
Ithaca x1
Endicott x1
Vassar x1
Williams x1
Middlebury x1
PLU x1

Redlands
@ Vanguard (exhibition)
@ Cal St Dominguez Hills (exhibition)
Claremont x1 (non-conference) @Tucson, AZ
Sul Ross x1 @Tucson, AZ
UT Dallas x1 @Tucson, AZ
Concordia (TX) x1 @Tucson, AZ
Ursinus x2
Centenary (LA) x2
Endicott x2
Dickinson x1
Ithaca x1
Rutgers-Newark x1
Williams x2
Middlebury x1

Still waiting on Cal Lu, Claremont, and La Verne to release their 2018 schedules. 

Once again, the Arizona tourney will feature some good intra-region contests.

Purple Heys

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

SoCalSoxFan

CLU non-Conf games:

2/20 Castelton
2/21 Bates (ME)
4/13-4/14 Pacific Lutheran x3

Additionally, per their press release but not on their website schedule:

The #2 ranked Kingsmen start the season with some stiff competition early on and will see where they stand in the poll. The Violet and Gold take on Linfield (Ore.) three times to start the year. Linfield is No. 34 in the poll.

Next the Kingsmen will take on Texas-Dallas and Concordia, both of which are strong Texas schools. Texas Dallas is ranked No. 7 and Concordia is ranked No. 30.

More notable ranked competition that the Kinsgmen will play this season are Centenary (No. 12), Ithaca (No. 21) and Rutgers-Newark.

MIFDad

Is Cal Lu rated correctly at #2 considering that most of their starters graduated?  Are the next guys up all that?

(not trying to stir anything up - genuinely interested)

Jack Parkman

Quote from: MIFDad on December 23, 2017, 08:04:30 PM
Is Cal Lu rated correctly at #2 considering that most of their starters graduated?  Are the next guys up all that?

(not trying to stir anything up - genuinely interested)

They got hot at the right time and earned the national title.  If anyone looked at them before the season started, or even during the middle, they would have likely not picked them to win it all.

As far as the ranking go, I think a lot of people pick based on the previous years results, whether that is good or not.

Cal Lu does have a lot to replace, but they were in the same boat last year.  The 2016 team was insanely talented but went 0-2 in the Regional and never even came close to winning it all.  Cal Lu is the type of program that doesn't need to rebuild, they simply reload.  I am sure recruiting for the 2018 season was pretty easy and there will be a number of transfers.  Regardless, they will see where they are right away with Linfield, UT Dallas, and Concordia TX as their first 5 games.

Redlands and Oxy are two SCIAC teams that really lost a lot too but I am sure they have some solid talent for 2018.  Chapman returns a lot and should be pretty solid.  Whittier, P-P, and La Verne are a toss-up and CMS is in their 3rd year with the new coach so we will see what they bring.  Hopefully Caltech can build on their SCIAC wins from last year.

Purple Heys

Perhaps this shapes up to be a year where things tighten up.  I get the sense that one team may emerge to take the league going away (I can’t pinpoint which one), with the rest slugging it out until the last weekend.  The schedule - who plays who and when is a critical factor.  Getting out to a quick start is essential.

Pitching and defense will turn the tide for the teams that qualify for 4 team playoff.  Cal Lu shined in all 3 phases - pitching, hitting, defense from about mid year on.  You could SEE something special building.

It’s helpful for the other teams to see that and try to achieve - just talking about doing it is one thing, but seeing it happening is impactful.  Sort of shows you where the bar is set.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on December 26, 2017, 12:07:01 PM

Pitching and defense will turn the tide for the teams that qualify for 4 team playoff.  Cal Lu shined in all 3 phases - pitching, hitting, defense from about mid year on.  You could something special building.

You hit the nail on the head with this.  Cal Lu went 12-1 in the post-season (3-0 in SCIAC tourney, 4-0 in the Regional, and 5-1 in the WS) and outscored their opponents 95-61 and scored an average of 7.3 runs a game against what is supposed to be the best pitching around.  Going with a 3-man rotation didn't really hurt them much at all as they gave up an average of 4.69 runs a game against the nations best hitters.  To be honest, the closest games they played were against Redlands in the SCIAC tourney winning 4-3 and 3-2.  I think the turning point in the season was going to PLU and getting swept.  They came back at had Caltech and CMS to re-focus and they did it like a championship team.  Like I said, they got hot at the right time and it carried them to their first title.  If you looked at the Cal Lu team compared to the others, they were TINY, but they still got it done.

I also agree that I think year will be a tight race and I could see 7 teams battling for the 4 spots.  Who those 4 teams are, I honestly don't have a clue.

Purple Heys

What good teams have (that bad teams do not have) is the ability to hold it together in tight games, be comfortable if/when playing from behind, then really lock it down once they gain the lead.

I have coached and watched teams with that mindset and it is a rare thing to see.  I could see these traits in Cal Lu last year.

Purple Heys

Hey, we've got baseball going on inside this month people!  Let those poor sods in the north and east wallow in the snow and wet.  In the SCIAC, Baseball is played OUTDOORS in January!   8-)

How's your team looking?  Let's get it ramped up!

MIFDad

Today is the first day of SCIAC practice and I do believe it's raining.

:o

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: MIFDad on January 08, 2018, 01:25:40 PM

Still better than being cold enough to freeze the ocean!

https://youtu.be/j_pM3nAxgi8
https://boingboing.net/2018/01/08/watch-videos-of-frozen-ocean.html

These videos show rare views of the ocean over the weekend from Old Silver Beach in Cape Cod. Rare because, well, the ocean is frozen enough for people to walk on, and the sea of ice seems to go on forever.

During the extremely cold weather that hit the Northeast United States during the first week of January 2018, YouTuber Ryan Canty captured amazing footage of a frozen Atlantic Ocean at Old Silver Beach on Cape Cod, in North Falmouth, Massachusetts. In fact, the ocean was so completely frozen solid, several people with Carty were able to securely walk upon the ocean waves without fear of falling through. Evidently, this type of thing doesn't happen all too often.

hockeyfan77

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on January 08, 2018, 02:08:45 PM

These videos show rare views of the ocean over the weekend from Old Silver Beach in Cape Cod. Rare because, well, the ocean is frozen enough for people to walk on, and the sea of ice seems to go on forever.

During the extremely cold weather that hit the Northeast United States during the first week of January 2018, YouTuber Ryan Canty captured amazing footage of a frozen Atlantic Ocean at Old Silver Beach on Cape Cod, in North Falmouth, Massachusetts. In fact, the ocean was so completely frozen solid, several people with Carty were able to securely walk upon the ocean waves without fear of falling through. Evidently, this type of thing doesn't happen all too often.

The last time this has happened in my area(S.Portland Maine) was in 1934...So obviously I have never seen it in my lifetime!  We had a warm up today where the weather reached 30, it felt like the middle of summer, it's supposed to be 50 on Thursday: time to break out the shorts!  Lowest temp I recorded here was -19!

MIFDad

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on January 08, 2018, 02:08:45 PM

That is some crazy s***!

Purple Heys

Minor technical difficulties have been resolved - we now return you to your regularly scheduled Blue skies and upper 60's in SoCal.   8-)

Purple Heys

Alumni Baseball in the SCIAC this Saturday - Sunny and upper 70's

An annual classic...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmqyI0Wnsfw