FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

miac952

Quote from: ecreddevils on November 14, 2017, 09:18:10 AM
Quote from: miac952 on November 13, 2017, 06:53:23 PM
Where are all the Eureka fans at??

By my estimate it's been about 90 years since Reagan strapped the pads on for them.

Reagan was class of '32.  We're here (I am anyway) and proud of our program and season, making our first postseason trip in 23 yrs. and first in NCAA.  Coach Kurt Barth has been building a quality program and our seniors got it done this year. 

We know we're playing a juggernaut (650 enrollment vs. 6,100), but gotta start somewhere, right?  This team runs the ball behind a quality O-line and crafty, sneaky fast Le'Anthony Reasnover (2nd total yards in D-III with 1,834).  Defense is senior-led and 14th in total defense in D-III (yes, I see you're first, thanks).  LB Chris Friend (local product and St. Xavier transfer) anchors the defense and we've gotten great play from senior ends Trevor Zeibert and Ray Vogel (both 6' 5") as well as interior size from Macae Skaggs (6' 5", 260). 

Go Red Devils!

Welcome aboard. Thanks for the quick profile of the team. Hope the Eureka traveling crew enjoys the visit to St Paul.

miac952

None of the 5% listed below would be athletes @ Mount Union now would they? Vince Young even had to score higher, given the minimum was 17 back then

Mount Union

ACT Scores of Enrolled Freshmen
ACT Composite   23 average
20-26 range of middle       50%
Score of 30 - 36                4%
Score of 24 - 29                42%
Score of 18 - 23                49%
Score of 12 - 17                5%
Score of 6 - 11                  0%
Score of 5 or Below            0%

HansenRatings

Quote from: miac952 on November 14, 2017, 11:03:51 AM
None of the 5% listed below would be athletes @ Mount Union now would they? Vince Young even had to score higher, given the minimum was 17 back then

Mount Union

Whoa.... over half their incoming class scored below average on their ACT? That's junior college numbers. What's your source for that?
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

jamtod

Quote from: miac952 on November 14, 2017, 12:21:29 PM
Quote from: HansenRatings on November 14, 2017, 12:08:07 PM

Mount Union

Whoa.... over half their incoming class scored below average on their ACT? That's junior college numbers. What's your source for that?

Here. And, to be VERY clear this is for the Mount student body, not just athletics or football. Although, when you have 2,200 students, athletes are a big % of your student body.

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg02_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=987

As I  spent time with this I was curious to deep dive into MIAC school as well. All in all I think the MIAC shows itself to be a fairly end and selective D3 athletic conference. But the deep dive was Particularly interesting in that 12-17 ACT range, as I had always assumed (mostly incorrectly in this case) that was an auto disqualifier for pretty much every four year university in the country. Gustavus, St Olaf, St Thomas, Mac, Carleton all accepted 0% from that range. But others did have some acceptance rates. Concordia 2%, SJU 2%, Hamline 3%, Augsburg 16%

Would Mount be a more heavily SAT school? Although the low end scores for that have a chunk also and I'm not really familiar with comparing SAT to ACT scores.

OldAuggie

But others did have some acceptance rates. Concordia 2%, SJU 2%, Hamline 3%, Augsburg 16%

MIAC champions 1928, 1997

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: miac952 on November 14, 2017, 12:21:29 PM

Mount Union

Here. And, to be VERY clear this is for the Mount student body, not just athletics or football. Although, when you have 2,200 students, athletes are a big % of your student body.

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg02_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=987

As I  spent time with this I was curious to deep dive into MIAC school as well. All in all I think the MIAC shows itself to be a fairly end and selective D3 athletic conference. But the deep dive was Particularly interesting in that 12-17 ACT range, as I had always assumed (mostly incorrectly in this case) that was an auto disqualifier for pretty much every four year university in the country. Gustavus, St Olaf, St Thomas, Mac, Carleton all accepted 0% from that range. But others did have some acceptance rates. Concordia 2%, SJU 2%, Hamline 3%, Augsburg 16%

That's interesting. I'm willing to bet SJU also spends more per student on athletics than other MIAC schools. It's hard to know for sure. They choose not to report their numbers to the DOE. With the spending covered, maybe SJU just needs to push their percentage of underachieving recruits up to MU levels and they'll make it past the semis. 

jknezek

Quote from: miac952 on November 14, 2017, 12:46:13 PM
Huge variation in the WIAC. Some much higher than I assumed, others well below the mark.

Eau Claire is close to UST, Gustavus.

While Whitewater & Stout are in with Mount. MHB falls in this category as well.

Brings new light to the phrase #WhyD3? hashtag....Because I couldnt get into JUCO  ;)

Not always... W&L ... It does show how different the recruiting pools can be. D3 is a division of mismatches at the national level. You have to find a hook that works. Sometimes that hook is, "anyone that can fog a mirror and sign a check", and sometimes that hook is "we're close to the Ivy's but you can actually play here". There's a lot of ground in the middle.

SAT Math   690 average
660-740 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
48%
Score of 600 - 700
50%
Score of 500 - 600
2%

SAT Critical Reading   690 average
660-720 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
47%
Score of 600 - 700
48%
Score of 500 - 600
5%

SAT Writing   683 average
640-710 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
40%
Score of 600 - 700
55%
Score of 500 - 600
5%

ACT Composite   32 average
30-33 range of middle 50%
Score of 30 - 36
88%
Score of 24 - 29
12%

MUC57

To whom it may concern-

I am a Mount Union alumnus. Although I went to 3 graduate schools , with degrees from 2 of them, I'm having trouble understanding something. What's the point of the ACT/SAT discussion? And why the disparaging remarks about dear old UMU?
Please keep your response simple since I am a Mount grad.
Go Raiders!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: MUC57 on November 14, 2017, 01:18:33 PM

To whom it may concern-

I am a Mount Union alumnus. Although I went to 3 graduate schools , with degrees from 2 of them, I'm having trouble understanding something. What's the point of the ACT/SAT discussion? And why the disparaging remarks about dear old UMU?
Go Raiders!

They're saying UMU is a glorified community college and this helps the football team. Of course that's not what I'm saying.

MUC57

I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

miac952

Quote from: jknezek on November 14, 2017, 12:58:50 PM
Quote from: miac952 on November 14, 2017, 12:46:13 PM
Huge variation in the WIAC. Some much higher than I assumed, others well below the mark.

Eau Claire is close to UST, Gustavus.

While Whitewater & Stout are in with Mount. MHB falls in this category as well.

Brings new light to the phrase #WhyD3? hashtag....Because I couldnt get into JUCO  ;)

Not always... W&L ... It does show how different the recruiting pools can be. D3 is a division of mismatches at the national level. You have to find a hook that works. Sometimes that hook is, "anyone that can fog a mirror and sign a check", and sometimes that hook is "we're close to the Ivy's but you can actually play here". There's a lot of ground in the middle.

SAT Math   690 average
660-740 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
48%
Score of 600 - 700
50%
Score of 500 - 600
2%

SAT Critical Reading   690 average
660-720 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
47%
Score of 600 - 700
48%
Score of 500 - 600
5%

SAT Writing   683 average
640-710 range of middle 50%
Score of 700 - 800
40%
Score of 600 - 700
55%
Score of 500 - 600
5%

ACT Composite   32 average
30-33 range of middle 50%
Score of 30 - 36
88%
Score of 24 - 29
12%

Impressive. And, yes the variability in D3 is somewhat remarkable. Enrollment ranging from 500 to 20,000+. Academic standards that go from community college to superior to IVY (Williams). Huge tuition range.

We often here about the disparity in D1 between the power 5 schools and others. At least, in that situation they all have somewhat uniform academic standards and they are all playing from the same number of scholarships. Everything else might be wayward, but they do have that. Not the case in D3.

There might be something here. I might have give the D3 bracket a spin on academics and see who wins out. They do this every year around bowl time and NCAA basketball tourney time.

jamtod

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on November 14, 2017, 01:27:02 PM
Quote from: MUC57 on November 14, 2017, 01:18:33 PM

To whom it may concern-

Go Raiders!

They're saying UMU is a glorified community college and this helps the football team. Of course that's not what I'm saying.

Exactly. YOU are saying SJU (SJCC) is a glorified community college and this helps the football team.

jknezek

I have said many times in the past that DIII is the least competitive division top to bottom. So long as you don't offer scholarships to athletes greater than the average of scholarships to non-athletes (or something to that effect), you can do whatever you want. Spend money however you want (so long as you don't get Title IX'd), and focus on whatever you want. Compared to the uniformity scholarships and media dollars bring to DII and, especially, D1, DIII is the wild wild west of athletics. On the upside side, since it is less important to schools, we have less cheating and scandal.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: DuffMan on November 14, 2017, 09:28:09 AM
If anyone is looking to kill some time, head on over to the OAC board where they're lighting up St. Glenn while Jamto tries to put out fires.  ;D

Are you kidding?  Those guys too?  It's almost like UST has some sort of reputation. So unfair as it's entirely the result of the Johnnie Smoke Fest and has nothing to do with reality.
[  

jamtod

Quote from: OzJohnnie on November 14, 2017, 02:01:06 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on November 14, 2017, 09:28:09 AM
If anyone is looking to kill some time, head on over to the OAC board where they're lighting up St. Glenn while Jamto tries to put out fires.  ;D

Are you kidding?  Those guys too?  It's almost like UST has some sort of reputation. So unfair as it's entirely the result of the Johnnie Smoke Fest and has nothing to do with reality.

It's different though. With you guys it's like a big brother-little brother relationship (yes, I'm giving you the big brother title, don't get a big head, you are like the deadbeat older brother that couldn't get into a prestigious liberal arts school in the big city, so you went to SJCC out in the woods). If you are the ones talking down to us, we expect it and deal with it. When somebody else does it? Big bro and little bro gotta stick together.

That reminds me of the first time that I beat my older brother in foosball. He didn't much like it and chased me around the basement throwing foosballs at me, because he was annoyed that little brother could beat him now. That's kind of a nice metaphor for the Tommie-Johnnie rivalry.