FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

For Winter Football Trivia.......The story of how the Statesmen got their name:

Sports have been played at the College since the 1860s and for the first 70-plus years Hobart went without a moniker. Now Hobart College is blessed with an unusual and unique nickname, "The Statesmen."
The origin of Hobart's nickname came innocently enough. The football team was playing the opening game of the 1936 football season on Sept. 26, at Amherst College. The following day, The New York Times published a story de- scribing the scoreless tie that occurred between the two teams. The article began:
"In the Pratt Field opener today, Hobart and Amherst battled to a scoreless tie before a crowd of 3,000. The defensive play of both teams was superb. Hobart recorded eight first downs to Amherst's nine.
"The statesmen from Geneva received a lucky break in the first period when Wanzo fumbled and Benjamin recovered on Amherst's 40-yard line."
The author of the story referred to Hobart as the statesmen one final time, concluding the story with:
"Snowball and Pagnotta stood out for Amherst, while Bowling and Wright excelled for the statesmen."
And with those two references, Hobart College had a nickname.

6 1/2 months to the season opener against Brockport's Golden Eagles :P
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

NED3Guy

Many LL coordinator jobs open...should make padless spring ball far more important to those teams bringing in new coaches to staff. At last look the list includes: Rochester (New head guy...gotta assume new coordinators too?), RPI (DC), SLU (DC), Union (OC), Hobart (OC). Seems like a lot of movement within the league. Will be exciting to see what names surface in each spot.

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on February 16, 2018, 05:39:47 PM
For Winter Football Trivia.......The story of how the Statesmen got their name:

Sports have been played at the College since the 1860s and for the first 70-plus years Hobart went without a moniker. Now Hobart College is blessed with an unusual and unique nickname, "The Statesmen."
The origin of Hobart's nickname came innocently enough. The football team was playing the opening game of the 1936 football season on Sept. 26, at Amherst College. The following day, The New York Times published a story de- scribing the scoreless tie that occurred between the two teams. The article began:
"In the Pratt Field opener today, Hobart and Amherst battled to a scoreless tie before a crowd of 3,000. The defensive play of both teams was superb. Hobart recorded eight first downs to Amherst's nine.
"The statesmen from Geneva received a lucky break in the first period when Wanzo fumbled and Benjamin recovered on Amherst's 40-yard line."
The author of the story referred to Hobart as the statesmen one final time, concluding the story with:
"Snowball and Pagnotta stood out for Amherst, while Bowling and Wright excelled for the statesmen."
And with those two references, Hobart College had a nickname.

6 1/2 months to the season opener against Brockport's Golden Eagles :P

Awesome story!  Nothing better than a nostalgic football yarn to warm up these miserable winter nights!  If I had a +k to give, you would get it!

Bartman

Thanks Oline.....FYI, word had it that Hobart's new Coach Davis in 1971 tried to change the name to the Hobart Hawks....but those hippy communist, Hendrix/CSN&Y listening students(about 90% of the student body ::)) thought that was a pro war reference , so the bellicose Hawks were never hatched and the Statesmen moniker survived......
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

Hobart still needs to hire a new OC.  I know the head coach positions across the NCAA need to be filled first, have all of those dominoes fallen yet?  I have heard some rumblings about candidates. Promoting from within is always popular since the offensive scheme would not change much.  I assume that hiring an outside guy, means accepting the new coach's approach.  Would spring ball be enough time to learn a new offense? 

Bartman

Quote from: Oline79 on February 21, 2018, 09:02:01 AM
Hobart still needs to hire a new OC.  I know the head coach positions across the NCAA need to be filled first, have all of those dominoes fallen yet?  I have heard some rumblings about candidates. Promoting from within is always popular since the offensive scheme would not change much.  I assume that hiring an outside guy, means accepting the new coach's approach.  Would spring ball be enough time to learn a new offense?
Agree, this needs to be settled soon.I don't think there is a candidate on staff currently. I wouldn't mind if DeWall returned to Geneva, but I have no idea if he would come back after being a HC.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

D3viewer

At least Hobart is at a transition point with Sweeney gone. The new OC can start fresh with a new starter. It may have been a bit more pressing or awkward if Sweeney were back.

Oline89

Quote from: D3viewer on February 21, 2018, 05:58:37 PM
At least Hobart is at a transition point with Sweeney gone. The new OC can start fresh with a new starter. It may have been a bit more pressing or awkward if Sweeney were back.
[/quote

DeWall is the name I have suspected as well. Hobart is returning a very strong group of running backs, an experienced O line, and a talented but very inexperienced group of QB's.   I agree that having a new OC working with a new QB is the best scenario. The sooner a new coordinator is named , the better.

Oline89

DeWall is the name I have suspected as well. Hobart is returning a very strong group of running backs, an experienced O line, and a talented but very inexperienced group of QB's.   I agree that having a new OC working with a new QB is the best scenario. The sooner a new coordinator is named , the better.

Bartman

Quote from: Oline79 on February 22, 2018, 11:35:24 AM
I think DeWall would be great, but I don't think he would come back unless he thought he had an eventual shot at Hobart HC which can't be guaranteed with the AD spot in transition.Also, Cragg has the job as long as he wants it with his historic track record. DeWall coached some great QB's and his offenses always seemed to adjust to the talent on hand.  It would not surprise me to see Sweeney on the staff next year as QB coach even though it may be awkward to coach guys who were your backups the year before. I know he has an interest in coaching. This will probably depend on the final decision on an OC, but I would love to see Sweeney on staff down the road as he is very football  smart, committed to Geneva/Hobart ,competitive as hell and probably a unique recruiter since he gave D1AA a shot before transferring to Hobart.
However the coaching staff shakes out, it will be a challenge next year as I suspect for the first time in a long time, we will not be pre-season LL favorites , as that should go to Ithaca. Thoughts of National rankings will need to be earned by getting back on top. I am looking forward to my predicted underdog role, because if we win the LL and make the NCAA's it will be even sweeter,especially off a year where we underachieved.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

D3viewer

Yeah..I'd have to agree with you about IC being the LL favorite with the return of Nabi at QB.  Their winning streak to end the season was pretty impressive, and as solid as Nabi is, their D was quite stout last year as well. We'll see how he progresses his soph year and whether there will be any sophomore slump. At the very least, he certainly will more experienced and confidant than he was against Bport last year, since it was his first start. From a Brockport fan's perspective it will add some flavor to their week 2 matchup. Since it will be early in the season the game will feature the best LL QB vs the best E8 QB, and to boot both guys are from Section 2. They may even know each other. I don't know if Shaker plays LaSalle Institute.

UfanBill

QuoteSince it will be early in the season the game will feature the best LL QB vs the best E8 QB, and to boot both guys are from Section 2. They may even know each other. I don't know if Shaker plays LaSalle Institute.

LaSalle and Shaker both play in the same league and AA classification in section 2 and play most years. But Germinerio's senior year at LaSalle was the fall of 2014. Nabi was a sophomore that season and was not the starter.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on February 22, 2018, 11:16:35 PM
QuoteSince it will be early in the season the game will feature the best LL QB vs the best E8 QB, and to boot both guys are from Section 2. They may even know each other. I don't know if Shaker plays LaSalle Institute.

LaSalle and Shaker both play in the same league and AA classification in section 2 and play most years. But Germinerio's senior year at LaSalle was the fall of 2014. Nabi was a sophomore that season and was not the starter.
Nabi was good , but Germinerio is a special player. Can't wait to see him in week one, hopefully Hobart will figure out some way to contain him ::)
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

I think Nabi has the potential to be one of those special players. Swanstrom has done nothing but crank out elite offenses everywhere he's been, and the Bombers went from 262 yards a game to 372 in one year. The PPG didn't quite follow—though they went from 19.8 to 24.5—but that was mostly due to unsustainably poor play in the red zone early in the season.

Some guys take awhile to get there. Josh Feliceitti had an unassuming first year—8 TD, 5 INT, 56.6%, 147 YPG— and then by his senior year was putting up 34-11, 70.7%, 262. With Swanstrom's pedigree, and the young talent around him, I like his chances

Oline89

I was just thinking about the Hobart coaching situation again.  I agree with Bartman that the next head coach (hopefully not for a long time, since Cragg is an exemplary HC) would be hired by the next AD.  Is the AD position at Hobart not a highly sought out position, since the colleges still maintain a full time AD for the women's programs (under William Smith College)? Overall the colleges are very successful in mens and women sports, just wondering if having 2 full time AD's cuts back on the prestige of the job.