D3hoops All Americans and POY

Started by bballfan13, March 19, 2012, 09:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bballfan13

Does anyone know if the NCAA tournament is taken into account when voting for the D3hoops All American teams and POY? I know Pat had said last week that regional teams are based off the regular season. Maybe Pat could answer this?

Pat Coleman

The All-Region team nomination process starts at the end of the regular season and only includes regular season stats. But it would be silly for us to ignore the postseason when selecting All-Americans.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bballfan13

That's what I thought but just wanted to clarify. Thanks Pat!

sumfun

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the WBCA announced their D3 All-American team at this year's banquet which was always a highlight of the banquet.  Two players were announced at a time-out of one of the games....very anti-climatic!  Then I guess POY is announced at D1 Final Four, even more anti-climatic as those aren't the fans that follow D3.  In the past POY was announced at the banquet, then attended D1 Final Four and was introduced.  Anyway, just seems weird to me to not celebrate these fine players in a bigger way infront on "their" fans.

Pat Coleman

That's true, they didn't.

One of the coaches on the NCAA committee told me they wanted to have a WBCA presence at the games themselves, rather than just at the banquet and not afterward. I don't know if they got what they wanted out of it, but that was their reasoning.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sumfun

I'll be interested to see how they handle the announcement going forward, because it was such a non-event this year at least for those in attendance.  Oh well, at least they are trying. 

Maine 1

I would be interested to understand how the D3 Hoops player of the year doesn't even warrant honorable mention by the WBCA (There team is announced on the website)

D-3 watcher

In order to be on their All-American team, you first have to be nominated by your coach. If your coach doesn't send your name in, you will not be on the list that is then sent out for voting by the other coaches. I don't  think coaches can write in a name if they are not on it. I do believe that if Olivia Lett had been nominated she would have more than likely been named to a team, if not first, than at least second.

Pat Coleman

There's no second team for WBCA. There's a 10-person "first" team and a ton of honorable mentions.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It has been awhile since this thread was used, but I figured it was a good time to bring it back.

2017-18 Preseason All-America selections in women's basketball have been announced: http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/women/preseason-2018
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jekelish

One note on the preseason All-America teams: I believe Sara Dyslin is out for the season. She was injured just before volleyball season, and while HIPAA probably precludes me from mentioning the specific injury, it's one that'll have her out for a full calendar year.

Pat Coleman

Regardless of the rest, for what it's worth, HIPAA only prevents you from speaking if you are the one treating her.

gordonmann

Well, that's a total bummer.

I'm very sorry to hear that for Sara and Hendrix.

Mr. Ypsi

Once again resurrecting this thread.  I think it is a foregone conclusion that Aston Francis will be national POY for the men.  Is Madison Temple also a shoo-in, or am I forgetting some worthy competitor?

gordonmann

I'd be very surprised if Temple isn't Player of the Year.  :)