Coolest Gym in each Conference

Started by Smitty Oom, March 16, 2016, 12:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

The University of Chicago's Ratner Center was designed by world-famous architect César Pelli, and its exterior -- which features supporting masts and cables and S-shaped girders -- has won numerous nationally-based engineering awards. The gym itself is distinctive, too, in that the building's ductwork is incorporated into the gym space itself.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AO

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 17, 2016, 02:51:55 PM
The University of Chicago's Ratner Center was designed by world-famous architect César Pelli, and its exterior -- which features supporting masts and cables and S-shaped girders -- has won numerous nationally-based engineering awards. The gym itself is distinctive, too, in that the building's ductwork is incorporated into the gym space itself.
Might be worth checking out just to see the first Heisman trophy.

Gregory Sager

Yep. Jay Berwanger of the U of C won the first Heisman Trophy back in 1935, back when the Maroons still competed in the Big Ten. (What he won was called the Downtown Athletic Club Trophy; the following year it was renamed after legendary football coach and former Downtown Athletic Club athletics director John Heisman.) Berwanger was also the first player ever picked in the NFL draft, which was inaugurated in 1936. The Chicago Bears traded a player to the Philadelphia Eagles for his rights, but Berwanger and George Halas couldn't settle on a salary, so Berwanger declined to become a Bear. A year later the press reported that Berwanger had changed his mind, but that Papa Bear refused to repeat his offer, and thus the first-ever Heisman Trophy winner never played pro football.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Fifth and Putnam

My opinion on the OAC's gyms having been to each of them...mind you we all value different things in gyms. I appreciate uniqueness and the modern cookie cutter gyms are a dime a dozen so I usually don't rank those as high.

1. Otterbein's Rike Center
2. Marietta's Ban Johnson Arena
3. John Carroll's DeCarlo Center
4. Ohio Northern's Sports Center
5. Capital's Capital Center
6. Mount Union's MAAC
7. Baldwin Wallace's Ursprung Gym
8. Wilmington's Fred Raizk Arena
9. Heidelberg's Seiberling Gymnasium
10. Muskingum's Performance Court

AO

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on March 17, 2016, 03:36:11 PM
My opinion on the OAC's gyms having been to each of them...mind you we all value different things in gyms. I appreciate uniqueness and the modern cookie cutter gyms are a dime a dozen so I usually don't rank those as high.

1. Otterbein's Rike Center

David Collinge

Otterbein is cool, one of my favorite older gyms. It's been a while since I've been there, and my memories are not so clear, so I decided not to mention it. I'm glad you did.

Where we disagree is Ohio Northern, which I consider to be the worst venue I've ever seen a game in. The snowball-throwing Polar Bear statue is the only redeeming feature I can think of. But as you say, and the point is well taken, to each his own.

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 17, 2016, 02:51:55 PM

I think the overall facility is much cooler than the competition gym.  The ductwork is cool for sure, but it would be a much better gym if they did not have to drape a massive maroon curtain on the East end during competitions.

In the UAA, I would have to show my bias in going with the Washington University Field House.  That facility has a history like none other in the conference. 

WUPHF

As for the topic, our SLIAC superfan must be on vacation.

There are few cooler Division III gyms in my mind than the Westminster College Gymnasium in Fulton, Missouri.  It was built in 1928 and was designated a national historic landmark having hosted Winston Churchill in 1946 in which he delivered his infamous Sinews of Peace speech.

Just Bill

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 17, 2016, 03:23:17 PM
Yep. Jay Berwanger of the U of C won the first Heisman Trophy back in 1935, back when the Maroons still competed in the Big Ten. (What he won was called the Downtown Athletic Club Trophy; the following year it was renamed after legendary football coach and former Downtown Athletic Club athletics director John Heisman.) Berwanger was also the first player ever picked in the NFL draft, which was inaugurated in 1936. The Chicago Bears traded a player to the Philadelphia Eagles for his rights, but Berwanger and George Halas couldn't settle on a salary, so Berwanger declined to become a Bear. A year later the press reported that Berwanger had changed his mind, but that Papa Bear refused to repeat his offer, and thus the first-ever Heisman Trophy winner never played pro football.

Meh. Tebow didn't really either.  8-)
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Fifth and Putnam

Quote from: David Collinge on March 17, 2016, 07:22:08 PM
Otterbein is cool, one of my favorite older gyms. It's been a while since I've been there, and my memories are not so clear, so I decided not to mention it. I'm glad you did.

Where we disagree is Ohio Northern, which I consider to be the worst venue I've ever seen a game in. The snowball-throwing Polar Bear statue is the only redeeming feature I can think of. But as you say, and the point is well taken, to each his own.

My one complaint about ONU is the seats seem sit back so far from the court. Otherwise it has a very old school feel to it and yes the Polar Bear above the court may be the one of my favorite features in an basketball gym. Not something you expect to see going to a basketball game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: WUH on March 18, 2016, 10:28:07 AM

There are few cooler Division III gyms in my mind than the Westminster College Gymnasium in Fulton, Missouri.  It was built in 1928 and was designated a national historic landmark having hosted Winston Churchill in 1946 in which he delivered his infamous Sinews of Peace speech.

One outcome of the 2016 Presidential Election will be the Winston Churchill bust that President Obama returned to Great Britain.

I am certain that a President Trump or Cruz will quickly ask for the bust again.

The interesting question is whether President Clinton or President Sanders do.  (For the first Jewish President, President Sanders, it was Churchill who helped defeat Adlof Hitler.)

7express

In the LEC I like Keene (Spaulding gymnasium), Western Connecticut (Feldman Arena) and RIC (Murray Center).

Western & RIC gain points by having back rest seats throughout the arena, but Western loses points for not pulling out the bleachers behind the basket, not having a big student support section like Keene & RIC do AND this year removing a side of seats.  I'd rank Spaulding 1, Murray 2 and Feldman 3.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Just Bill on March 18, 2016, 11:14:01 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 17, 2016, 03:23:17 PM

Meh. Tebow didn't really either.  8-)

Eh... Tebow has a playoff win. Pretty hard to argue he didn't really play.  ;) ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AO

Quote from: WUH on March 18, 2016, 10:28:07 AM

The Westminster Historic Gymnasium:
1975 interior:

2011 tour
Portions of Winston's speech
2013 halftime

AO

Quote from: 7express on March 21, 2016, 03:20:20 PM
In the LEC I like Keene (Spaulding gymnasium), Western Connecticut (Feldman Arena) and RIC (Murray Center).

Western & RIC gain points by having back rest seats throughout the arena, but Western loses points for not pulling out the bleachers behind the basket, not having a big student support section like Keene & RIC do AND this year removing a side of seats.  I'd rank Spaulding 1, Murray 2 and Feldman 3.
I can get behind a Keene State nomination considering it's the only one on your list I had the opportunity to play in. 
Keene State's Spaulding Gym:

Videos: renovation, team introductions, recruiting film.