FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIDDFORTHEWIN, The truth 101, Hawk196, widebasepanther, GroundandPound and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

amh63

On a slow day of sports, I will disagreed with Lumbercat's comment on "not placing significant emphasis on Athletics".   Amherst often claim to have the first athletic dept in the country.  Amherst and Williams played the first college baseball game in the country...in a town/city in Western Mass. that a famous/great artist used in his magazine covers.  Wesleyan Un. plays football on a grass field in the middle of campus...that is cited to be the oldest field in continuous use.  Many of the other football playing Nescac schools play on fields that are among the oldest in the country.

The Mole

Excited that my son will be attending/playing at a NESCAC school this Fall (he's been accepted ED and his grades for first half are above 4.0 so barring a catastrophe he's going). Hopefully, they get on the field for the games! I've been following the board for a few years and really enjoy the competitive banter and vignettes. Needless to say, it was an interesting due diligence process with the pandemic. FWIW, he got a first hand look into the recruiting approaches by each school. Every school in the NESCAC but one contacted him via Twitter follow, direct message, phone text  or phone call. Some were better then others and I will say in general there was a major lack of transparency by the majority of coaches. This includes the Patriot and Ivy League as well. We were able to discern pretty quickly whether the coaches were seriously interested or not, but the combination of "fake recruiting" with group edits, following on Twitter and then not responding back, not calling when they said they would call and then just going radio silent actually made the decision easy. I would be  glad to share details if you find it valuable (am I allowed to even say where he is going? I know the formal announcements are in May). Looking forward to the games and commentary. Thanks
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

amh63

The Mole...congrats to your son and you on the good news.  Can remember still when my three kids..daughter and two sons... got their notices.  All three went to a Nescac school and all three enjoyed their time there and lifetime friends made.  Will look forward to seeing your son and you  at a game.

The Mole

Thanks amh, appreciat the kind words. Wife and I will be spending the next 4 autumns in the splendor of New England.

Quote from: The Mole on January 23, 2021, 07:50:16 PM
Excited that my son will be attending/playing at a NESCAC school this Fall (he's been accepted ED and his grades for first half are above 4.0 so barring a catastrophe he's going). Hopefully, they get on the field for the games! I've been following the board for a few years and really enjoy the competitive banter and vignettes. Needless to say, it was an interesting due diligence process with the pandemic. FWIW, he got a first hand look into the recruiting approaches by each school. Every school in the NESCAC but one contacted him via Twitter follow, direct message, phone text  or phone call. Some were better then others and I will say in general there was a major lack of transparency by the majority of coaches. This includes the Patriot and Ivy League as well. We were able to discern pretty quickly whether the coaches were seriously interested or not, but the combination of "fake recruiting" with group edits, following on Twitter and then not responding back, not calling when they said they would call and then just going radio silent actually made the decision easy. I would be  glad to share details if you find it valuable (am I allowed to even say where he is going? I know the formal announcements are in May). Looking forward to the games and commentary. Thanks
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

nescac1

A bunch of NESCAC guys listed here, including four going to Colby.  The Colby coaching staff clearly has a good relationship with the power NJ football programs:

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2021/02/national-singing-day-2021-d2-d3-and-prep-commitments-refresh-for-updates.html

lumbercat

No question about it.
Jack Cosgrove developed many relationships over the years and he has brought them to Colby. Add the new Athletic facility to the mix and you've got a great recruiting advantage for the Mules.

Trin9-0

A ton of NESCAC commitments from Connecticut to share:

Trinity:
TJ ABBAZIA, LB, Greenwich
DECLAN CLANCY, OL/DL, Canterbury (via Brookfield)
ANTHONY DIFEDERICO, OL/DL, Jonathan Law - Milford
SKYE DOLCE, TE/LB, Trinity Pawling (via Northwest Catholic-West Hartford)
BO FAUGHNAN, OL, Brunswick School - Greenwich
BRENDAN GAFFNEY, RB/DB, Simsbury
OWEN NIZOLEK, SS/RB, Kent School (via Guilford)

Amherst:
JACK COX, QB, Valley Regional/Old Lyme
OWEN GAYDOS, WR/SS, Ridgefield
AUSTIN PIECK, WR, Notre Dame-WH
BEN TAYLOR, LB, Choate

Colby:
MATT GOODMAN, LB, Loomis Chaffee

Middlebury:
ISAIAH LIZARDI, RB, Hall
THOMAS PERRY, OL/DL, Haddam-Killingworth
ETHAN VASHEL, QB, Hotchkiss (via Guilford)

Bowdoin:
CAMERON LUCIANO, DL, Amity
KOY PRICE, SS/LB, St. Luke's

Hamilton:
DEAN PALLAS, OT, St. Luke's (via Bethel)

Williams:
JONATHAN VELASQUEZ, OL, Cheshire Academy (via Waterbury)
ALEC WASHEKA, OT, Darien

Wesleyan:
JASON VILLANO, SS/OLB, Sheehan
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

Hawk196

That may be true about Colby (coach/facilities), but (like my Son) 6 hours is a bit far from NJ and it is a "rebuilding" program. I would think the high school teams in Mass. would be a good target. When you have schools like tufts, Johns Hoptkins, etc.. 3.5 hours away, Maine is a tough sell.

I see there is a kid from my town (Liam Mitchell) who played OL at St. Joes going to Middlebury. Good pick up, they develop good/solid lineman. Their head coach (Augie Hoffman ex college, Saints OL) is a strong coach.
The Big 3 (+ St . Peters) of St Joes, Don Bosco Prep and Bergen Catholic play games against each other and two or three against top 50 high schools from all over the country and the results are a playoff level game every week (and intense practices and plan on a week mid- July for a family vacation, that's it....lol). Even a back up player on these teams can do very well at the D3 level

lumbercat

Good point.
However, distance/travel is not a huge factor for many. Also hearing that Admissions at Colby has loosened up significantly which may open an opportunity for a recruit who might not gain acceptance at the other top D3 academic schools with closer proximity to NJ.

A very significant factor in Nescac recruiting perennially remains----- Is winning Football of importance to the Director of Admissions.
An old Nescac coach told me years ago that aside from Williams and Amherst it's extremely difficult to win if the admissions director is not a football fan.

Trin9-0

Williams rolling out a new: "visual identity"
It doesn't appear to include athletics but there's a lot to unpack here if you're into that sort of thing:

OLD:

NEW:
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

nescac1

The "new identity" seems to be receiving near-universal scorn from Ephs online.  The school's font change is awful, too, btw.  But word on the street is that the old purple cow may yet survive as the main logo due to all the blowback (even as is, it's an alternate, not a total replacement, thankfully).

I think Colby is clearly heading towards being a powerhouse in Nescac athletics.  You don't pour that much money into such insanely slick facilities, and hiring too, without a plan to win ... men's soccer, hoops and football have all been trending up, certainly.  And the school's recent rise in rankings and overall selectivity can't hurt the sales pitch.  I'd buy Colby athletics stock.

lumbercat

Loose admissions is the trump card. Colby admissions loves Cosgrove and they are even competing on the lower band Trinity recruits under the guise of coaching them up academically...... this is going to be very interesting. Trinity has been unopposed on that academic level of kids within the NESCAC in the past.

Hawk196

The new eph mascot looks like it enjoys an alternate lifestyle...lol

amh63

Awoke from a non-sport NESCAC slumber....surprised a bit wrt to the recruiting comments towards Trinity.
Anyway, recently I noticed that Bates enrollment has risen....2000 now.  Has any other Nescac schools' enrollment moved up?  My interest here is wrt admission/sports connections..if any.  A stir the pot inquiry.