FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Quote from: olddog on October 10, 2017, 02:41:21 PM
Folks outside So Cal, Oxy's recruiting has been set back big time, very tainted school. If I was the coach I would be reaching out for out of state players to the extent I could.

21 of the current players aren't from California. My alma mater has 32 outside of Indiana with a roster of about 140. That out of state number for Oxy reminds me of Denison

DFWCrufan

Quote from: USTBench on October 10, 2017, 02:53:03 PM
Folks outside So Cal, Oxy's recruiting has been set back big time, very tainted school. If I was the coach I would be reaching out for out of state players to the extent I could.

Yeah. Pay $67,000 a year to play football for a school that hates you far away from your family.

I would say this, if your looking to play D3 ball and unless the school your thinking about has an elite status in your discipline of study then why settle for a school like Oxy? (Current school today) There are alot of Great programs out there that do not look at their football program as a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals and actually support their players rather than view them as an experiment to emasculate them on every turn. (I take this from the AD and the letter outlining how she browbeat the players)
I would HIGHLY recommend looking though the top 25 list or even top 50 and begin exploring. There is such a large world of outstanding schools and options to choose from with great coaches and staff and educational resources. But If I were one to want to stay on the west coast then I'd search away from the aforementioned and look at perhaps a Redlands, Chapman etc etc.  hell anything is better then a sports program that sees you as a problem, which it sounds like they do. Just very sad to see this.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Jack Parkman

Quote from: OxyBob on October 10, 2017, 01:33:29 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on October 10, 2017, 12:24:42 PM
Oxy does not have the requisite commitment from the University President or the AD. 

It's just the opposite, according to the college president's cliche-ridden letter.

Too bad this board has devolved into talking only about the downfall and coming death of Oxy football. How is the rest of the league doing?

OxyBob

I'll give my thoughts on the SCIAC so far...

Redlands seems to be the cream of the crop and I think they will run the table.

Claremont smoked (their SID's words) Oxy this past weekend and are sitting on top of the SCIAC after beating two teams that are a combined 6-37 over the past 3 years.  I think they hit reality this weekend in Thousand Oaks.

Chapman had a couple of tough losses to start the year then squeaked one out against Pomona and beat up Whittier pretty good.  I think they have the talent to hang with Redlands but don't think they will get over the hump.

Cal Lu pissed one away against La Verne and barely escaped Pomona.  The combined record of their opponents is 4-9 and they easily could be 1-3 but they sit at 3-1 going into this week against CMS.  They can throw the ball but their D doesn't seem to be able to stop anyone.

La Verne got the big win against Cal Lu but they got stomped by Redlands.  They seem like a typical middle of the pack team.

Pomona could easily be 3-1 overall and 2-0 in the SCIAC but they lost a few really tough games.  They got smoked by Lewis & Clark who had won a total of 1 game since 2013 and I think that shows how far behind the SCIAC is to the NWC as a whole.

Whittier should get a win over Oxy but I think that might be it this year.  Their D seems to be really soft as they are giving up a lot of points.  At least the shoes should return to Whittier for the first time since 2013.....SHOULD.

Oxy has been talked about enough.  At least the AD has the full support of the President!

Purple Heys

Quote from: smedindy on October 10, 2017, 03:00:08 PM
Quote from: olddog on October 10, 2017, 02:36:14 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 09, 2017, 06:44:29 PM
You can be a academically rigorous small college and still recruit football players who can win games. They are not mutually exclusive.

Pile on insulting half the general population being so anti-American, your recruiting base shrinks drastically...These liberal colleges are making a huge mistake..., see Chapman grow....

Hmmm...don't know if I agree with that. A rigorous education includes debate and discussion where you are presented with opposing viewpoints.

And for the life of me, I don't see "CONSERVATIVES UNWELCOME HERE" in the Admissions area.

Also, students are smart cookies. They know not to go to Liberty, Yeshiva, Hillsdale, or Unity unless they are comfortable with what they are. Being a liberal campus doesn't seem to hurt some schools, like the U. of Washington, U of Oregon, Michigan, or Carnegie-Mellon. (I used the Niche Rankings and they're all in the Top 75).  It certainly hasn't hurt overall enrollment at Carleton (2nd) or Oberlin (3rd).

And you do realize that the protests were in 2015. That horse, it's been flogged to death.

(No one occupied a building when I was an undergrad. We did study the 60's in my Freshman Tutorial - in the winter of 1985. Those times were still pretty fresh on the mind of some of the faculty, and we thought we'd try to occupy Center Hall for funsies, but were talked out of it after we sobered up.)

Full Ride Athletic Scholarship programs with huge Football budgets do not fit into this pigeonhole.  When all is said and done, if a kid is in line for a full ride and it's a Pac-12, Big 10 school...that's a football decision.

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

smedindy

Yeah, but if he's got a choice, he's gonna go where he feels comfortable, especially if you get multiple offers.

Somehow, my alma mater goes well in recruiting even though we're all male, without a sister school, and in the middle of cornfield Indiana.

Oxy's footprint is national - they can be like Denison, who for years were 2-8 or 3-7, sometimes edging up to 5-5 depending on how bad Hiram, Oberlin, and Kenyon were. Now, thanks to a couple of recruits, they were ranked last week and have an outside shot at a Pool C if they run the table at 8-2 and shenanigans happen.

It does take effort. Is Oxy going to make the effort? If so, then the political bent of the student body won't matter as long as the athletes feel welcome and have a good campus experience in the classroom and on the field.

I'd gather most all of the non-religious private schools in D3 in CA, WA, and OR are pretty left-of-center.

smedindy

Also, being a liberal college doesn't seem to hurt a lot of the NESCAC. Tufts is one of the most liberal colleges around, and they've picked themselves off the mat (1-31 from 2010-13) to a 7-1 record last year.

Purple Heys

Quote from: smedindy on October 10, 2017, 07:28:55 PM
Also, being a liberal college doesn't seem to hurt a lot of the NESCAC. Tufts is one of the most liberal colleges around, and they've picked themselves off the mat (1-31 from 2010-13) to a 7-1 record last year.

This is a stewardship issue.  Being a liberal college is not a factor. 

Purple Heys

My thoughts on the SCIAC:

Redlands - The SCIAC is theirs to lose - will be shocked if they don't run the table.  Then they get their annual playoff beatdown administered by Linfield (or UMHB).  The SCIAC is down this year.

Claremont, Chapman, CL(u), Pomona, LaVerne a log jam in the middle with every game within this group a toss-up.

Whittier  - the best thing I can say is that their administration cares about the team and supports them.  The coaches have a competitive mindset.  They played CMS tight, but got blown out by Chapman in the first half that rendered the second half as futile even though they put up some points.  There offense shows some positive movement.  Their defense is what will keep them from making a move toward the middle and is what puts them at risk against Oxy.  If you bet Coaches, Quarterbacks, and defense then it's at worst +, +, Push and Whittier should win the Shoes.

Oxy their best hope is to beat Whittier - they might want to consider another two-week break to prepare.

olddog

You can be a academically rigorous small college and still recruit football players who can win games. They are not mutually exclusive.

Pile on insulting half the general population being so anti-American, your recruiting base shrinks drastically...These liberal colleges are making a huge mistake..., see Chapman grow....

Hmmm...don't know if I agree with that. A rigorous education includes debate and discussion where you are presented with opposing viewpoints.

And for the life of me, I don't see "CONSERVATIVES UNWELCOME HERE" in the Admissions area.

Also, students are smart cookies. They know not to go to Liberty, Yeshiva, Hillsdale, or Unity unless they are comfortable with what they are. Being a liberal campus doesn't seem to hurt some schools, like the U. of Washington, U of Oregon, Michigan, or Carnegie-Mellon. (I used the Niche Rankings and they're all in the Top 75).  It certainly hasn't hurt overall enrollment at Carleton (2nd) or Oberlin (3rd).

And you do realize that the protests were in 2015. That horse, it's been flogged to death.

(No one occupied a building when I was an undergrad. We did study the 60's in my Freshman Tutorial - in the winter of 1985. Those times were still pretty fresh on the mind of some of the faculty, and we thought we'd try to occupy Center Hall for funsies, but were talked out of it after we sobered up.)

Have you ever been on Oxy's campus or any of the SCIAC schools.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

olddog

Quote from: DFWCrufan on October 10, 2017, 03:34:39 PM
Quote from: USTBench on October 10, 2017, 02:53:03 PM

Yeah. Pay $67,000 a year to play football for a school that hates you far away from your family.

I would say this, if your looking to play D3 ball and unless the school your thinking about has an elite status in your discipline of study then why settle for a school like Oxy? (Current school today) There are alot of Great programs out there that do not look at their football program as a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals and actually support their players rather than view them as an experiment to emasculate them on every turn. (I take this from the AD and the letter outlining how she browbeat the players)
I would HIGHLY recommend looking though the top 25 list or even top 50 and begin exploring. There is such a large world of outstanding schools and options to choose from with great coaches and staff and educational resources. But If I were one to want to stay on the west coast then I'd search away from the aforementioned and look at perhaps a Redlands, Chapman etc etc.  hell anything is better then a sports program that sees you as a problem, which it sounds like they do. Just very sad to see this.

Common sense prevails Cru

olddog

Quote from: Purple Heys on October 10, 2017, 08:33:01 PM
My thoughts on the SCIAC:

Redlands - The SCIAC is theirs to lose - will be shocked if they don't run the table.  Then they get their annual playoff beatdown administered by Linfield (or UMHB).  The SCIAC is down this year.

Claremont, Chapman, CL(u), Pomona, LaVerne a log jam in the middle with every game within this group a toss-up.

Whittier  - the best thing I can say is that their administration cares about the team and supports them.  The coaches have a competitive mindset.  They played CMS tight, but got blown out by Chapman in the first half that rendered the second half as futile even though they puts up some points.  There offense shows some positive movement.  Their defense is what will keep them from making a move toward the middle and is what puts them at risk against Oxy.  If you bet Coaches, Quarterbacks, and defense then it's at worst +, +, Push and Whittier should win the Shoes.

Oxy their best hope is to beat Whittier - they might want to consider another two-week break to prepare.

I agree with your take. Redlands beat themselves at GF. It appears the play calling has changed a bit and expanded some packages, no ones job is safe. The defense is very good, better than last year and three years ago. SCIAC teams will be pressed to put more than 24 on their defense. This UR team can be better than last year team which played well at the end of the season and out played LF in the play offs (for u Doc) ...I agree the chance of advancing is slim, I hope we get LF over MHB, but we can still would be a 17 point dog to LF. I think the Chapman game is for league, heck UR could back into the championship with one loss, given the parity in the league.

smedindy

Quote from: Purple Heys on October 10, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 10, 2017, 07:28:55 PM

This is a stewardship issue.  Being a liberal college is not a factor.

Someone on the board thinks it is...

smedindy

Quote from: olddog on October 11, 2017, 11:14:15 AM

I have not. But I have been on plenty of college campuses in my work. From ultra-liberal Oberlin to the more conservative St. Mary's of the Woods. You go to colleges sometimes in SPITE of their political views because of the ways it can benefit you academically and personally. I remember when interviewing at Baylor I saw a listing of the religious affiliations of current students. There were athiests, Muslims, Hindus, etc. there. Not many, but they were there.

This is a great post from a conservative student at Tufts: http://admissions.tufts.edu/blogs/jumbo-talk/post/having-a-conservative-voice-on-a-liberal-campus/

Now, football-wise, it's not going to be easy for Oxy to get back to even a .500 team, unless they really do make it a national recruiting effort. There are plenty of areas without small liberal arts colleges, and I know other D3 schools grab students from there (my alma mater has pipelines in Texas and Arizona - Texas has some liberal arts schools but not as many as you'd think). Florida is always a great bet too, though there are quite a few D3 programs grabbing students from there.

If Oxy is willing to pay for recruiting trips, they can get back in a few years.

OxyBob

Quote from: smedindy on October 11, 2017, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: olddog on October 11, 2017, 11:14:15 AM
I have not.

Sports at Oxy? Here's an example of the weenie snowflake attitude, straight from the school newspaper:

http://www.theoccidentalweekly.com/sports/2017/04/18/can-play-time-let/2887565

By the way, I looked through the newspaper and, except for a tiny little mention in the article about the new HC, I couldn't find a single word about the ongoing football fiasco. However, there were several articles about the stupid national anthem nonsense.

That's what it's like over there now.

OxyBob

smedindy

How is that weenie snowflake attitude? You can boost up women's sports without dismantling men's opportunities. Unfortunately, many colleges and universities have taken the easy way out.