MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

A few more NESCAC recruiting tidbits, first Colby:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/3732/Roxbury-Latins-Daley-NESCAC-Bound.php

Daley should bring a different dimension to a Colby team lacking in big, athletic guys on the wing; looks like he'll be a fun player to watch in NESCAC.

Meanwhile Midd has locked up its second recruit (both from Connecticut), a big man who looks like a tough, sound interior player, albeit a bit more earth-bound than Daley:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/3733/McCord-NESCAC-Bound.php

P'bearfan

It's the first cold blustery day of the season here in Atlanta which can only mean one thing......NESCAC basketball practices have finally begun!!  Good luck to the P'bears as they kick off their 2014-15 season. 

amh63

Seems that P'Bear beat me to the Nov.1 date post.  Do not forget to set your clock back!
Been following the chatter while focusing my post on the football board.
Amused a bit by the talk wrt to the Amherst front court, etc....the 4 and 5 position.  Will put down several comments on the matter.
First for the oldies, remember Dean Smith innovative Blue and White teams rotation?  For the younger posters... The "innovative" HBC C at Kentucky will  rotate two starting fives this season...due to the zillion tall, talented and young players he has on this team.
For me the key players for Amherst will be Green and Pollack.  Especially Pollack's healthy return. The two juniors grew up during the 2012 championship run. Ben Pollack started out as a backup for Big Pete. He grew into a scorer and a defender in the post season.  Amherst missed his strength and team play when he was hurt early in the season and late in the season...into the post season.
Yes, MIDDHOOPS is correct....a Pollack/George front court will be a challenge for opponents.
Green is the other key.  He is big and strong.  Noted for his outside shot, he is basically a scorer!...period.  He will drive and flush it down and he is overlooked for his rebounding and defense.  I keep checking a game against Williams..the 2nd one, I believe.  Green goes flying against the Eph shooter...of equal height...and tips the ball, For the shot was way off.  Reminded me of Allen Williamson's block in the CAC tile game against Williams.  Allen, also a person who stepped up in the post season...in the title game to block, rebound, and score on his way to be the MVP.
Will post next time after watching Amherst practices.

fanfromct

Spanish Basketball Weekend Report:
Aaron Toomey - no game this weekend. Team 1-3 in Silver (15 teams). In relegation zone.
Mike Mayer - 6/9 floor - 4 reb - 1 assist - 3 steals - 12 points. Team wins to go 5-0 in Silver (15 teams). Team tied for first place. In ascension zone.
Will Hanley - 5/13 floor - 1/1 line - 6 reb - 11 points. Team loses to go 0-5 in ACB (18 teams). Tied for 17th place. In relegation zone.

jumpshot

Michael Mayer is a winner ....great team player.

I have enjoyed re-watching the Ephs' win in Salem over amHerst last March ---what a blowout after all the season-long hype about the ljs.

sac

Rumor Michigan is interested in talking to Harry Sheehey for athletic director.

All your Williams Ephs belong to us. ;)

jayhawk

Hey Amherst63
What I have heard is that the Amherst College Men's Basketball Team Practice is closed this weekend because it is homecoming weekend (with later football game). There is concern about so many  people being on campus and they don't people just walking in.
You probably should contact Coach Hixon before coming this weekend to see if you could attend practice instead of just showing up at the practice.

amh63

Jayhawk....thanks for the heads up.   Somehow that is surprising, but Coach Hixon always decides who stays and who leaves.  I may give him a call and ask him when he is holding practices and see if I'm in the doghouse or not.
Did find out that the Williams MBB team was working the sidelines during their Homecoming football game with WES.  Announcer mentioned that they were up early to handle the chains even at a practice.  Hope the players got paid well.
Remember a football game in Clinton NY.  The MBB player were working the chains for the Amherst vs Hamilton game...dressed in cave men outfits!  Spoke to the MBB coach wrt to the "trradition".  The HBC was a WES grad and has since left.  Maybe Williams new coach is starting a tradition too.  Heard from the announcers that many ladies were wearing pants with the cow mascot.  Will be interested to see what the chain crew will be wearing next year.

nescac1

middhoops

Quote from: nescac1 on November 04, 2014, 02:39:51 PM
Duncan Robinson continues to impress at Michigan:  http://isportsweb.com/2014/10/31/michigan-basketball-duncan-robinson-named-best-shooter/
Damn.
Just imagine if he'd played last season on a team that didn't already have so much senior talent!
Duncan Robinson looks comfortable shooting from 25' and for the Wolverines, he probably will, often.

Old Guy

Quote from: amh63 on November 04, 2014, 12:21:00 PM
Jayhawk....thanks for the heads up.   Somehow that is surprising, but Coach Hixon always decides who stays and who leaves.  I may give him a call and ask him when he is holding practices and see if I'm in the doghouse or not.
Did find out that the Williams MBB team was working the sidelines during their Homecoming football game with WES.  Announcer mentioned that they were up early to handle the chains even at a practice.  Hope the players got paid well.
Remember a football game in Clinton NY.  The MBB player were working the chains for the Amherst vs Hamilton game...dressed in cave men outfits!  Spoke to the MBB coach wrt to the "trradition".  The HBC was a WES grad and has since left.  Maybe Williams new coach is starting a tradition too.  Heard from the announcers that many ladies were wearing pants with the cow mascot.  Will be interested to see what the chain crew will be wearing next year.

I handled the chains when I was a student at Middlebury. I played football in hs but not college and liked to be close to the action. In the first game I did the chains, I cheered too exuberantly for my Panther friends on the field, and was roundly chastised by the referee: "you are an official, son." I'd be surprised if the officials allowed outlandish outfits by the chains' crew.

toad22

The men's basketball team always does the chains at the football games. The money earned goes into the travel fund for the team.

amh63

Toad22...interesting fact and thanks.   Is that against some labor laws? :)  The alums or school should pay for team travel funds, I would think.  Let the student players keep the money for their labors.  Hope it is more than 10 bucks a hr.

P'bearfan

QuoteThe men's basketball team always does the chains at the football games. The money earned goes into the travel fund for the team.

Slightly different situation at Bowdoin.  Players work a fall basketball camp and the money earned from that event goes into a team travel fund.  However, when BB players work at a sporting event they get paid directly.

Old Guy

Quote from: amh63 on November 05, 2014, 11:03:46 AM
Toad22...interesting fact and thanks.   Is that against some labor laws? :)  The alums or school should pay for team travel funds, I would think.  Let the student players keep the money for their labors.  Hope it is more than 10 bucks a hr.

Soon there will be games and I will not be as inclined to digress. RE: "Travel Funds." When I was DOS at Midd, I recommended that players on teams which played contests on their spring trips to warmer climes that counted on their official record (M/W lacrosse, baseball, softball) should not be asked to foot any of that bill - the school should pick it up. As it stands now, parents who shell out a pretty penny for tuition, etc. often have to subsidize in part (sometimes in large part) their kid's spring trip on a varsity team. Middlebury, for example, plays its three game NESCAC series with Williams in Tucson. Not sure how it works at other schools. Everyone on the team seems to go, due I suspect to the generosity of parents and interested (well-heeled) alums.