FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks88

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 30, 2012, 03:01:40 PM
I wonder if they considered playing the (any of the soon to be four) SCAC schools - you'd have to think that, having to find seven non-conference games, they'd take anything they could get.  It will be interesting to see what THOSE schedules look like next season.
Double round robin? Then they only have to find four games.  ::)

jknezek

Mildly surprised not a single SAA team made the Regional Rankings. Centre and Millsaps should have a chance to break in with W&L and HSC playing this week and LC and HSU playing the last week of the season. As a W&L alum, I'm sure pulling for the Generals and Centre!

Millsaps has the higher SOS, but Centre has B-SC and Rhodes to go which will help their SOS more than Millsaps with Austin and B-SC.

Ron Boerger

Centre hasn't defeated anyone regionally ranked, with their best win against three loss Trinity and losses to unranked W&L and Millsaps.   The Majors' best win is the one against Centre, and the loss to Trinity is what kept them out.   

Quite surprised that three-loss HSU got in there, though - yeah, they've played two ranked teams fairly close, lost the first game of the season to a Willamette team that might be ranked if they weren't in the West, but in the end their best win is, what, the one against Sul Ross without their stud RB and the worst defense in the country ?

etg

(El Tea Gray--re: SAA/SCAC or "Old SCAC", something smells.)

The possibility that the SAA/SCAC or "Old SCAC" may not get a team into the 32-team D3 playoff field is a total ream-job. The SAA/SCAC or "Old SCAC" has 7 active football playing members; any other association of 7 members, with as long a history as this group, gets at least 1 team in the D3 playoff field. Each of these teams plays 6 games against the other teams in the SAA/SCAC or "old SCAC". The team that wins this "6-game-round-robin" by all rights should make the playoff field; this in fact, would be exactly like the conference has always been treated. 

:o   

Ralph Turner

The SAA wanted to get its own conference. They "blew up" the football side of the SCAC. The SCAC still has its AQ in other sports.
Its just the way the rules have been since the late 1990's. The SAA knew what it was doing.

jknezek

Quote from: etg on November 04, 2012, 06:58:51 PM

The possibility that the SAA/SCAC or "Old SCAC" may not get a team into the 32-team D3 playoff field is a total ream-job. The SAA/SCAC or "Old SCAC" has 7 active football playing members; any other association of 7 members, with as long a history as this group, gets at least 1 team in the D3 playoff field. Each of these teams plays 6 games against the other teams in the SAA/SCAC or "old SCAC". The team that wins this "6-game-round-robin" by all rights should make the playoff field; this in fact, would be exactly like the conference has always been treated. 

Except for the very basic fact that the conference you propose no longer exists. The NCAA has rules and when your conference explodes and ends up with 2 pieces outside those rules, you don't get an A. To be fair, all the teams had a shot at making it through the B/C process. Certainly a harder, more uncertain road, but it's not like they were shut out of the playoffs from the get-go.

It just seems likely that none of those teams will manage to play their way in.

roocru

Quote from: etg on November 04, 2012, 06:58:51 PM

Your rant should be directed to the SAA presidents who brought this on.  >:(
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

tigerguy

It's been a very strange year in the SCAC/SAA - full of inconsistent play. In my mind either Trinity or BSC could have been a playoff team had that not had their third (inconsistent) loss.

You have BSC who beat a very solid Huntington team (who if they beat Adrian will have a very good case for a "C" bid). The same BSC team lead the entire game against #6 Wesley before collapsing in the 4th quarter. And then the puzzling loss AT HOME to (3-7) Sewanee.

Trinity began its season smashing (1-7) Howard Payne and (3-6) TLU, who despite its record I think is a decent football team as all of their losses were by 7 points or less other than the UMHB and Trinity game. Trinity then processed to get the most points put up against it in the Steve Mohr era by Sul Ross (#1 offense in the nation, but last team in the nation in defense...has this ever happened before??) and a pretty bad loss to the #2 team in the nation. After a couple of wins they loss to a respectable (6-3) Centre team, although from what I heard Centre played its game of the year and Trinity's starting qb was knocked out with a concussion.

Millsaps beat Centre before losing pretty handily to Huntingdon 45-24. Their only other loss was to Trinity but they still have to play their finale at home against BSC. That game will determine in my eyes if Millsaps is as solid of a team as their record reflects as they didn't really play out of conference games against anyone noteworthy other than Huntingdon.

Centre lost to a pretty good Washington and Lee team and Millsaps by 18 and 17, respectively, before getting blown out by 31 against BSC. They did beat Trinity, however.

Trying to make sense of who is better than who by going off of results against common opponents makes absolutely no sense this year. Trinity beats BSC 30-21 but you could make the case that Birmingham "has never figured Trinity out" blah blah blah. Trinity then loses, 31-14 to a Centre team that BSC just destroyed 45-14. BSC lost to Sewanee 31-19, who was this week blown out by Trinity 48-7. Millsaps still has to play BSC, but I don't see them winning that game.

I'm trying to figure out who the "phony" teams are this year. My first candidate is Centre, because although they have the win against Trinity they didn't win any other big games in my mind. Millsaps will take second place to them - should they lose to BSC. They lost pretty bad to both Huntingdon and Trinity. Neither Trinity nor BSC, however, has played with any level of consistency this year and so we won't ever know how they would have fared in the playoffs.

We could have four teams end up 7-3, or even have two at 7-3 and one at 8-2 in the conference but obviously no playoff bid, what a shame! If it weren't for silly losses by BSC and Trinity we could have had a thrilling end of the season!

awadelewis

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 08, 2012, 05:47:33 PM
Shame he called it "Sewanee College."  :-(

It's a bit of an irritant to many of us who went to school on the Mountain.   And it's gotten worse since one of our administrators listened to some high-priced big city consultants who recommended that we market ourselves as "Sewanee: The University of the South".   There are still people torqued off about that (myself included) after almost ten years.

Oh well... at least this season produced another step forward on getting our FB program back on a solid footing.

Shoreman

Hawks88

Shoreman

Wonder if Harvard Pilgrim had to buy the rights, or if they made a donation to the programs?