WBB: SUNYAC

Started by SuperFan, November 24, 2004, 10:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmchrystie

Thoughts on upcoming teams or games?

lom

How about the SUNYAC's beating up on the Liberty League so far this season.  Both Brockport and Oswego beat RPI, Oswego over Skidmore, Potsdam over St. Lawrence and Clarkson, and New Paltz over Vassar.  Looks like the SUNYAC is te best league in the state.

rochnative

What is going on with the SUNYAC this year?  Traditional powers are struggling (especially on the west side) and the usual "doormats" are flexing their muscles.

Oswego loses to Potsdam (at Oswego) and Geneseo is getting their doors blown off (1-6).  Potsdam beat St. Lawrence earlier in the year (are they for real?) and Geneseo has 10 players back from a consistently top squad in the league.  New Paltz is coming on strong and Oneonta is off to a rough start as well. 

What is going on??????????????????????

thebear

Potsdam has a veteran team, loaded with first & second team all state players from the Class C & D schools in the North Country.  They are still young (only two seniors, who both come off the bench).  The important thing is that most of these girls have spent their entire lives in winning, dominant programs, and as they adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game, that attitude that we can beat anyone is still there.

The starting five are athletic and "long".  They can go 9 or 10 deep, and they play solid team defense.  Don't know if they are ready to compete with the Cortland's of the world yet, but their wins at Oswego and at SLU show that they will be more competitive than in the past.

My read is that Cortland & Brockport are the front-runners, and clearly excellent teams.  I think everyone else is in the mix, and teams that can win on the road will have an advantage.  Even SUNYIT, a traditional doormat, is showing signs of solid play, and has already posted a couple of upsets.

The SUNYAC was getting too predictable, so a little uncertainty is a good thing for the conference.

Potsdam's women play next at the South Padre Island Shootout, facing traditional New England Power Colby-Sawyer on 12/28.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

rochhopps

Sems like Potsdam may do some damage in the usually "soft" east side of the Conference.  Cant believe the split for the SUNYAC.  West will def. go to Brockport or Oswego.  The others will beat up on eachother and knock eachother out. 

The East is Cortland/NP/or it seems Potsdam.  Who would of though that a few years ago???  Cortland has been the mainstay but playing each other 2x will determine who is the best on their side. 

Wacky schedule no more for this conference ;D

Caz Bombers

Nobody has stayed within 15 points of Cortland this year.  Nobody has beaten Cortland at their place in the regular season since February 2004.  They are the overwhelming favorites until proven otherwise.  Potsdam  and New Paltz are no longer bottom-feeders, but they are far from C-State's caliber.

thebear

BTW - Potsdam women handled Oswego at Laker Hall 85-70.  Brockport has balance - four players in doubles, very rare for a women's team at any level.

- Sgt. Joe Friday

lom

You are right, Cortland has not won a game by less then 15, but who have they played?  Not one team with a winning record.  When they start beating some half way decent teams we will talk.  Yes looks good that they are ranked so high, it will look even better for the other conference teams that are going to beat them.

Caz Bombers

Well then, hey, best of luck with all that.  I hope they lose early and often...but I've still got 'em penciled in for 14-2 in the league.

lom

We need to get some more chat going here.  So much for the East being soft.  The East is 16 and 4 against the West, and it looks like it is going to continue this weekend. 
Potsdam/Cortland will also be an interesting match-up, and I looking to see if anyone out west can beat Brockport.  Maybe Oswego tonight?

lom

Look for the upset tonight...New Paltz over Cortland.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: lom on January 25, 2008, 11:37:43 AM
Look for the upset tonight...New Paltz over Cortland.

Looks like not, as I said a month ago.  NP did come within 13, closer than any SUNYAC team has gotten yet against C-State.  Honestly, if they get by that 2/5 game at Brockport, that's it, they're running the table.

patroonbball

The Plattsburgh Cardinal has to be getting some serious consideration for SUNYAC defensive player of the year.

lom

The NP/Cortland game was much closer then 13 points.  NP was up by 2 with about 2 or 3 to play and just couldn't finish, Crtland hit 3 big 3's and then NP started fouolling.  NP dominated them across the board for the majority of the game, they shot the ball very poorly and still had a shot at the end.  NP will get them at home in two weeks.

thebear

Quote from: patroonbball on January 26, 2008, 09:12:36 PM
The Plattsburgh Cardinal has to be getting some serious consideration for SUNYAC defensive player of the year.

Didn't see anything that would convince me of that in our game on Tuesday. 

Frosh Taylor Armondo (watch her) & Vanessa Arthurton were the factors that kept Lady Cards in the game.

Thought Lady Bears would have trouble when Cards surged to tie with about 7:00 to play, but then Poirier & Lewis took the game over and stretched out.

Cards well coached as always.

- Sgt. Joe Friday