Previous topic - Next topic

Next Man Up

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on June 02, 2022, 04:24:11 PM
Quote from: Next Man Up on June 02, 2022, 03:27:07 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 18, 2022, 11:21:41 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on May 18, 2022, 08:58:18 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 17, 2022, 05:26:36 PM
Quote from: Jester1390 on May 17, 2022, 04:54:41 PM
Disagree. If it's a good relationship. They make some sort of announcement thanking them for their contributions. And on the other end the coach says he appreciates his time at said school but is looking forward to this new challenge or opportunity.  Plus I know the chatter he was leaving started only 2 weeks before he left.  Isn't lie he was there just for 2 years. He was along time coach there. It happens he found a better fit for him and the school was caught unaware.

We deal with dozens of coaching changes every year. I assure you, that almost never happens.

Hmmm - almost never happens may be a stretch.  I agree it's not like you are going to see something akin to what gets posted when a coach retires (althought Alma comes close), but it is not uncommon for their to be at least a press release with some level of thanks to the coach.  Given what teams and conferences I follow, I immediately looked at these 3 coaching departures this year; Alma, NCC, and North Park. While only Alma has a quote from the departing coach, they do all have thanks from the ADs.  Seems strange that RH has nothing that I can find even annoucing the coach has left.

Alma:  https://www.almascots.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/releases/20220422nxzhgh
NCC:   https://northcentralcardinals.com/news/2022/3/23/coaching-change-announced-for-mens-basketball.aspx
North Park:   https://athletics.northpark.edu/news/2022/3/2/slyder-resigns-as-head-coach-of-npu-mens-basketball.aspx

But on the opposite side, there are so, so many that do not announce or even acknowledge a coach's departure.

I wonder what the correlation is between coaches who are fired vs those who voluntarily resign.
It seems logical that if a coach is fired, a somewhat acrimonious relationship would exist wherein the administration would be a lot less inclined to thank or even acknowledge the departing coach.
Conversely, a successful coach with a good relationship with his superiors would be far more likely to receive a "thank you for your service," or, at minimum, some type of acknowledgment of his service/record.

In some cases, a voluntary resignation is just a coach firing a school.  I'm sure it all depends on the relationship.

A coach firing a school. Indeed! A perfect way to describe some recent coaching departures that I'm aware of.  8-)
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Baldini

Transylvania has their schedule up and they open with a road trip to the Chicago area with games against Elmhurst and Wheaton to start the season. They will probably add another game in the near future because they are short one game on the non-conference side of things. Great test for the Pioneers to start the season.

https://www.transysports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Enginerd

Rumor is that RHIT has hired Marietta assistant.

Next Man Up

Quote from: Enginerd on July 20, 2022, 06:49:28 PM
Rumor is that RHIT has hired Marietta assistant.

Nick Sales, Marietta Associate Head Coach. Has been at MC the last 9 years.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Enginerd

The Sales hire at RHIT will be announced very soon, I'm told. Lot's of interesting goings-on down there, I'm told. I'll share when I have more info - right now just rumors.

Enginerd

Quote from: Jester1390 on August 01, 2022, 11:51:46 AM
https://athletics.rose-hulman.edu/news/2022/8/1/nick-sales-named-rose-hulman-head-mens-basketball-coach-08-01-22.aspx

Any idea what in the world is happening in the athletic department at RHIT, Jester?
I've heard a rumble or two - nothing of any substance - but they lose their men's BB coach and now I see that the assistant women's coach (who's been there over a decade) and is also the coach of the very successful women's golf team, his bio is no longer on the website. Did he leave as well or is it just routine site maintenance and I'm just seeing things LoL?

Next Man Up

Quote from: Enginerd on August 05, 2022, 09:07:56 AM
Quote from: Jester1390 on August 01, 2022, 11:51:46 AM
https://athletics.rose-hulman.edu/news/2022/8/1/nick-sales-named-rose-hulman-head-mens-basketball-coach-08-01-22.aspx

Any idea what in the world is happening in the athletic department at RHIT, Jester?
I've heard a rumble or two - nothing of any substance - but they lose their men's BB coach and now I see that the assistant women's coach (who's been there over a decade) and is also the coach of the very successful women's golf team, his bio is no longer on the website. Did he leave as well or is it just routine site maintenance and I'm just seeing things LoL?

Perhaps, as unfortunately sometimes occurs, the Athletics Dept has become politicalized to the point that it's become unbearable for some of the coaches to consider staying.  :-X

Jester1390

Engine alot going on. Robinson left for a position at a Georgia school. Most successful coach they had.  Also i was told the mens coach is getting paid way more then he did at rose

My daughter will not be coming back for her senior season. The university is well aware why.  from what i understand there is 4 other players not coming back.  She is content she just got a huge job offer from a pharmaceutical company in the six figures and she is just ready to move on.

This leaves them with 7 players plus 2 incoming where i was told one can help and the other is not ready.  I think the lineup will  be Baum at pg  Black sg  Burnham and Miller forward   fults center and lewman and Rudolph off the bench along with the 2 freshman .

Baum has to score 30 plus and she has the ability to do so but they will press the hell out of her.

monsoon

FCGrizzliesGrad

https://heartlandconf.org/news/2022/10/24/2022-23-mens-basketball-preseason-poll.aspx

2022-23 Preseason coaches poll

1.   Hanover (8)          80
2.   Transylvania (2)   73
3.   Rose-Hulman       61
4.   Franklin                49
5.   Anderson              43
6.   Defiance                38
7.   Mount St. Joseph   34
8.   Earlham                 32
9.   Manchester           28
10.   Bluffton               12
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

itsnotmeitsyou

About a month into the season, it doesn't look like the HCAC pre-season poll is holding up too well.

I'm beginning to think that it's becoming more than just a trend that "it's never been easier to go from bad to good" than in today's current athletically-related climate.

FCGrizzliesGrad

I don't know about that, other than Manchester upsetting Transylvania I'd say the conference is about as expected.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

Defiance (who was winless in conference play) gave Anderson (unbeaten in conference) a heck of a game.
Anderson scored with 7 seconds left in regulation to tie it at 71.
Anderson scored with 3 seconds left in OT to tie it at 79.
Defiance hit a 3 to tie it with 5 seconds left in 2OT only for Anderson to hit a 3 at the buzzer to win.

Ravens have a nice cushion on the conference with Rose 2 games back and then a 5 way tie for third at 4-3

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Baldini

Took in the Anderson @ Transylvania game yesterday and was treated to a great game. Anderson built a double-digit lead in the 1st ten minutes of the second half only to see the Pioneers make a strong rally in the final 10 minutes. Anderson had two 3-point attempts in the final 5 seconds on good looks but couldn't get either to go down and Transylvania gets a 3-point win over a very good Anderson squad. Anderson has an impressive lineup of 3-point shooters, fun game.