FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Thinking about conferences...

ARC - Buena Vista, Central, Coe, Dubuque, Loras, Luther, Nebraska Wesleyan, Simpson, Wartburg

IIAC in another universe - BVU, Morningside...Central, Simpson...Luther, Wartburg...Coe, Cornell...Dubuque, Loras

Iowa Small College Super Conference -
West Division: Buena Vista, Central, Dordt, Grand View, Morningside, Northwestern
East Division: Coe, Dubuque, Loras, Luther, St Ambrose, Wartburg

Big City Conference - Briar Cliff, Morningside, Grand View, Coe, Mt Mercy, Clarke, Dubuque, Loras, St Ambrose

Small Town County Seat Conference - Buena Vista, Grinnell, Iowa Wesleyan, Luther, Northwestern, Simpson, Waldorf, Wartburg, William Penn

Largest Endowment Conference (jokes write themselves here)
Grinnell, Dubuque, St Ambrose, Luther, Buena Vista, Coe, Simpson, Cornell, Central, Wartburg

Largest Enrollment Conference - St Ambrose, Morningside, Buena Vista, Dordt, Grand View, Dubuque, Grinnell, Northwestern, Luther, Mt Mercy

I'm open for any ideas others out there have  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

BLynn

Have we got enough for a Catholics-Protestants Conference? Loras, Briar Cliff, St Ambrose, Clarke, Mount Mercy. Are any others Catholic? Maybe make a separate division for Lutherans?

Schipper Strong

Someone posted and removed something about Central playing Dordt because of the number of Pella players at Dordt. That would be a big no way as far as I am concerned. Pella and Pella Christian are enough of a rivalry for this small town. Central is connected to the Reformed Church, Dordt the Christian Reformed Church. I don't need half the town of Pella coming to the game to cheer against Central. We used to have that in basketball when Brian Van Haaften, a Pella Christian grad, coached BV. I don't like feeling like the visiting team at home.

doolittledog

It would be great is someone smarter than me could map these mythical conferences  ;D

Conferences by alphabetical order

Conference A-G: Briar Cliff, Buena Vista, Central, Clarke, Coe, Cornell, Dordt, Dubuque, Graceland, Grand View, Grinnell
Conference I-W: Iowa Wesleyan, Loras, Luther, Morningside, Mt. Mercy, Northwestern, St Ambrose, Simpson, Waldorf, Wartburg, William Penn

Conferences oldest to newest.

Conference 1839-1861: Loras, Iowa Wesleyan, Clarke, Grinnell, Coe, Dubuque, Wartburg, Central, Cornell, Simpson, Luther
Conference 1873-1955: Wiliam Penn, Northwestern, St Ambrose, Buena Vista, Morningside, Graceland, Grand View, Waldorf, Mt Mercy, Briar Cliff, Dordt
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

MediaGuy

Superbowl is over...so it's time for the "Way to Early" predictions for next year. 

Does the ARC championship get determined when Central comes to Wartburg this year?

Is this the year Coe, Loras, or Dubuque make a title run?

Do we get 2 bids this year and if it's not Wartburg and Central, who is it?

Can new coaching turn things around in Indianola, and Storm Lake?...how many wins do they get in year 1?

Who are the sleeper picks this year?

Does NWU finally break into the top half of the conference or is it still the IIAC+?

Any interesting Non-Con games this fall?

Just curious what the consensus is.

doolittledog

Quote from: MediaGuy on February 14, 2023, 04:23:11 PM
Superbowl is over...so it's time for the "Way to Early" predictions for next year. 

Does the ARC championship get determined when Central comes to Wartburg this year?

Can new coaching turn things around in Indianola, and Storm Lake?...how many wins do they get in year 1?

Does NWU finally break into the top half of the conference or is it still the IIAC+?

Better than average chance, yes.

I was born in Missouri.  Loras has to show me they can make a title run.  The Duhawks have yet to win a conference title in their history in this conference (1926-1951 - 1986-present).  Coe and Dubuque have won titles in the last decade.  Coe and Dubuque should be right up at the top with a chance for a title going in to the last few weeks.  The optimist in me says UD has the better shot at a championship  ;)

One bid league.  Even if the champion is 10-0 with the 2nd place team at 9-1

I think BVU has a better shot at climbing up the standings than Simpson.  BVU never seems that far away from being a decent team.  Simpson looked horid last year.  Simpson ceiling is 2 wins.  BVU if things bounce the right way could see 5 wins.

Sleeper?  Wartburg and Central fans are always stunned if someone other than those 2 schools take the title.  Coe and UD possible sleeper teams...UD is my pick.

NWU conference records...3-5, 2-6, 2-6, 1-7, 0-1, 2-6, 0-8.  NWU isn't breaking into the top half of the conference any time soon.

UD takes on UW-Platteville and Wittenberg.  I find those interesting.  For others, possibly mildly interesting. 

doolittledog

The Nacubo endowment study released their figures.

https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2022/NACUBO-TIAA-Study-of-Endowments

689 reporting schools.  Median is 208,735,000 in 2022 compared to $230,846 in 2021 for a decrease of -9.6%
Rank-school-%
45  - Iowa -.... 3,054,429,000 - 3,380,331,000 . -7.85%
55  - Grinnell - 2,484,419,000 - 2,931,550,000  -15.25%
87  - Iowa St - 1,524,695,000 - 1,496,510,000  + 1.88%
315 - Drake -..... 245,420,000 - .. 279,782,000 -12.28%
346 - Dubuque -  207,856,000 - .. 239,872,000 -13.35%
358 - St Ambrose 192,758,000 - .. 210,198,000  -8.30%
363 - Luther........ 187,791,000 - .. 207,387,000  -9.45%
389 - UNI........... 162,590,000 - .. 177,301,000  -8.30%
457 - BVU........... 112,245,000 - .. 120,635,000  -6.95%
482 - Central........  97,698,000 - ... 99,746,000  +2.05%
516 - Cornell.........  82,015,000 - .. 93,804,000 -12.57%
524 - Simpson.......  78,052,000 - .. 96,906,000 -19,46%
568 - Morningside...  56,859,000 - .. 57,249,000  -0.66%
628 - Mt Mercy........  33,727,000 - .. 35,637,000 -5.36%
633 - Grand View.....  32,819,000 - .. 32,963,000 -0.44%
642 - Clarke............  31,362,000 - ..33,553,000  -6.53%

doolittledog

Former Dubuque Spartan, Michael Joseph with the pick 6 for the XFL DC Defenders.

https://twitter.com/JamesLarsenPFN/status/1627500153434415104?s=20

And now a 2nd int of the game.

https://twitter.com/All_Access_XFL/status/1627505452261974016?s=20

DBQ1965

Quote from: doolittledog on February 19, 2023, 09:59:14 PM
Former Dubuque Spartan, Michael Joseph with the pick 6 for the XFL DC Defenders.

https://twitter.com/JamesLarsenPFN/status/1627500153434415104?s=20

And now a 2nd int of the game.

https://twitter.com/All_Access_XFL/status/1627505452261974016?s=20

Plus karma for keeping the Spartan Nation up to date.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

doolittledog

BLynn

My oldest daughter went to NWU and I try to keep track: Saw Kevin Crume, NWU D.C. left for Concordia of the NAIA's GPAC. More changes coming?
When I started watching the GPAC back in 2002, NWU was top-3 team, then started to slowly drop, but rarely under .500 in the league. I really thought they'd be more competitive in the ARC.

doolittledog

Former Dubuque Spartan, Michael Joseph with his XFL leading 4th interception of the season.

https://twitter.com/XFLPod/status/1637272181917859840?s=20

doolittledog

Quote from: BLynn on March 18, 2023, 04:56:00 PM
My oldest daughter went to NWU and I try to keep track: Saw Kevin Crume, NWU D.C. left for Concordia of the NAIA's GPAC. More changes coming?
When I started watching the GPAC back in 2002, NWU was top-3 team, then started to slowly drop, but rarely under .500 in the league. I really thought they'd be more competitive in the ARC.

NWU basketball started off strong and won a national title in that sport, but have since dropped off.  The NWU track teams have been nationally ranked.  Football has really struggled to be competitive.  When watching a couple of their football broadcasts their announcers were surprised at how deep the conference was and noted the NWU coaches told them that in the GPAC after you got past the top couple of teams the talent really dropped off and that wasn't the case in the ARC.  I also wonder if NWU is now finding it harder to recruit kids these days when the kids know they won't be playing schools right in their area like they did in their GPAC days and it will be more difficult for the families to make it with an easy drive to their games.  But as has been noted, hope springs eternal and fans can always hope for better results next year.  I went from approximately 1990-2005 hoping for that  ;)

QC Life

Quote from: MediaGuy on February 14, 2023, 04:23:11 PM

Central/ Wartburg looks to be the clear championship game. Coe in the mix.
BV likely to show improvement, Simpson still aways away yet. NWU still struggles.