FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 12, 2022, 11:47:30 AM
I saw Cusumano limping after a couple of plays late in the game as well.

I saw CardinalAlum limping after the game in the parking lot. He will be day to day before Annapolis.

New Tradition

Quote from: CruFrenzy on December 12, 2022, 12:06:48 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 12, 2022, 09:17:48 AM
Really looking forward to Friday night.  Another thing to note--at this point, Re: "The Purple Powers" all of the dragons are slain, now, with wins over UMU, UWW and UMHB in the past few years.  Could make a case that we're missing a win over Linfield, but they haven't been beyond the quarters since Brett Elliott graduated in 2004.  IF the Cards can get it done on Friday night, that will be 3 consecutive over UMU.  I wonder who is 1) The last team to beat UMU 3 consecutive times? and 2) what teams lead an all-time series vs. UMU?

Linfield played in the semi finals in 2014 at UWW & also made the semis in 2015 vs St. Thomas. Lost two competitive games behind one of the best D3 QB's of all time, Sam Riddle. Linfield has not gotten over the QTR final hump since then though...
Thank you for the correction!
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

blue_jays

Remember when that delusional Ithaca fan said NCC didn't look special this year in the lead-up to that game ... LOLz. I think the Bombers had 6 first downs and gave up nearly 600 yards.
The Cardinals have been laying wood on people all year, not surprised by any result they've had, they are clearly the best team in D3 (although I wouldn't have predicted that margin of victory over UMHB, even though I felt confident in an NCC win). It would be fitting if it was Wheaton that gave them their closest game all season.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on December 12, 2022, 12:12:47 PM

I saw CardinalAlum limping after the game in the parking lot. He will be day to day before Annapolis.

That's called old age. Listed as probable on today's injury report. Maybe I can get a pre board pass on my flight to Baltimore?  ;D
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

USee

Quote from: blue_jays on December 12, 2022, 12:26:57 PM
Remember when that delusional Ithaca fan said NCC didn't look special this year in the lead-up to that game ... LOLz. I think the Bombers had 6 first downs and gave up nearly 600 yards.
The Cardinals have been laying wood on people all year, not surprised by any result they've had, they are clearly the best team in D3 (although I wouldn't have predicted that margin of victory over UMHB, even though I felt confident in an NCC win). It would be fitting if it was Wheaton that gave them their closest game all season.

That's pretty typical for playoffs. Also had a few of the Pickem's guys who liked MHB because it was perceived they played better opponents up to that point.

blue_jays

Quote from: USee on December 12, 2022, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: blue_jays on December 12, 2022, 12:26:57 PM

That's pretty typical for playoffs. Also had a few of the Pickem's guys who liked MHB because it was perceived they played better opponents up to that point.

I don't understand any nitpicking about "better opponents" or "not being challenged sufficiently", that smacks of not wanting to pick them for an arbitrary reason. This is now the 3rd-straight season NCC has made the Stagg Bowl, what else do people need to see? This is a team that knows how to win, and win in dominating fashion. The Cardinals are tailor-made for December football. Who could watch the NCC O-Line and D-Line and not believe in the dominance they bring every week, regardless of opponent?
I don't begrudge any pickems for UMHB that take into account last year's match-up - that's a real reason, unlike some made up "they played better teams so they'll be better" non-reasoning. NCC has seen great teams and played against them for years, they aren't the champion of the MWC who gets a first-round pounding every season. Just cuz the CCIW is down doesn't mean NCC isn't great, is the point I'm trying to make.

USee

Quote from: Next Man Up on December 11, 2022, 10:09:06 PM
Quote from: New Tradition on December 10, 2022, 05:28:43 PM
Quote from: USee on December 10, 2022, 02:31:01 PM
Lehnen doesn't scare anyone as a drop back passer.
:o

1st   07:46   NCC - Wolff, Alec 16 yd pass from Lehnen, Luke
1st   06:23   NCC - Greenfield, Ethan 7 yd run
1st   03:39   MHB - Jordan, Brandon 15 yd pass from King, Kyle
2nd   12:55   NCC - Quinn, Matt 8 yd pass from Lehnen, Luke
2nd   06:13   MHB - Jordan, Brandon 32 yd pass from King, Kyle
3rd   12:53   NCC - Hardy, Deangelo 28 yd pass from Lehnen, Luke
3rd   02:26   NCC - Greenfield, Ethan 4 yd run
4th   06:49   NCC - Rummell, Nic 23 yd pass from Lehnen, Luke
4th   01:39   NCC - Hill, Terrence 12 yd run

Quote from: USee on December 11, 2022, 09:28:17 AM
Congrats to Brad Spencer and his staff and players. Very impressive win. And Luke Lehnen was a stud yesterday running for 139 yds and throwing 4 TD's. He made plays. MHB was the one team who I thought could slow down the NCC rushing attack but 294 yds later, the train is still rolling.

Well, maybe a little scary? ???   ;)  ::)

You seem to be confusing two different things. Luke Lehnen is a great quarterback. He ran for 139 yds and made great plays including 4 TD passes. He is NOT a good pocket passer. His first TD to Wolfe was a 3rd and 9 and MHB brought pressure from LL blindside that wasn't picked up, he scrambled (almost getting sacked) ran to his right and Wolfe (who had run "return" route) took off toward the EZ and LL made a great throw on the run. That was LL athleticism as most QB's get sacked there. All of his other TD's were off play action because NCC was absolutely pounding UMHB with their run game. In all three instances the Cardinal WR's are running past MHB DB's who are biting on play action. No reads, no worries, just wide open dudes.

If you can find me some examples where LL sat back in the pocket and found his 2nd, 3rd or 4th option, I'd be glad to see it. Again, Lehnen is a perfect fit for what NCC asks him to do. But if NCC had run across a team that had the horsed to stop the Cardinal run game which would require pocket passing, you would see different results. No one has been able to do that. 

I will say he does make initial reads that he has been coached to do in the pass game. Right before NCC's 2nd TD he hit TE Robinson down the seam for a big game off a drop back pas. Robinson was lined up as the TE to the offensive left. There was a WR outside of him and 2 WR's spread to the right. At the snap, the safety lined up deep over Robinson immediately turned toward the wide side where the two Cardinal WR's were lined up, which vacated the middle of the field and Robinson was wide open down the seam. Either LL got lucky or he was coached to watch that safety and hit the seam route opposite the direction he went.

hazzben

Quote from: blue_jays on December 12, 2022, 01:09:29 PM
I don't understand any nitpicking about "better opponents" or "not being challenged sufficiently", that smacks of not wanting to pick them for an arbitrary reason. This is now the 3rd-straight season NCC has made the Stagg Bowl, what else do people need to see? This is a team that knows how to win, and win in dominating fashion. The Cardinals are tailor-made for December football. Who could watch the NCC O-Line and D-Line and not believe in the dominance they bring every week, regardless of opponent?
I don't begrudge any pickems for UMHB that take into account last year's match-up - that's a real reason, unlike some made up "they played better teams so they'll be better" non-reasoning. NCC has seen great teams and played against them for years, they aren't the champion of the MWC who gets a first-round pounding every season. Just cuz the CCIW is down doesn't mean NCC isn't great, is the point I'm trying to make.

Yeah, at this point in the season it's a bit silly for anyone to argue that the NCC Playoff roster hasn't seen/played enough good teams (especially when you account for the other playoff runs these guys have been a part of). If you were going to make an argument for which team hasn't faced quite the same comp, it would be Mount Union, IMO. FWIW, here's how they stack up statistically:

Scoring O:
1. NCC - 54.2
3. Mount - 46

Scoring D:
1. NCC - 5.64
4. Mount - 8.79

Total O:
1. NCC - 553.4
4. Mount - 509.7

Total D:
1. Mount - 192.4
4. NCC - 203.2

Rushing O:
1. NCC - 364.1

Passing O:
1. Mount - 325.6

Team Pass Efficiency:
3. NCC - 185.37
5. Mount - 178.43

Team Pass Eff D:
6. NCC - 89.47
7. Mount - 91.16

Rush D:
1. Mount - 44.6
4. NCC - 52.0

Turnover Margin:
4. NCC - 1.86
21. Mount - 0.93

3rd Down:
3. NCC - 0.570
25. Mount - 0.475

3rd Down D:
3. NCC - 0.237
5. Mount - 0.254

Basically comes down to how well can Mount stop the NCC run game, how well can NCC stop the Mount passing game. NCC runs to setup the pass, Mount passes to setup the run. My money is on the more physical team, and the NCC front 4's ability to get home without having to rely solely on bringing 5+ to get pressure.

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: USee on December 12, 2022, 12:12:47 PM

Was CardinalAlum limping or staggering... often a fine line. :)

devildog29

Minor news relative to the big game this week, but IWU OC Reed Hoskins has been named Head Coach at Simpson College. 
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here, all out for Wesleyan!

CardinalAlum

Quote from: devildog29 on December 12, 2022, 08:46:47 PM
Minor news relative to the big game this week, but IWU OC Reed Hoskins has been named Head Coach at Simpson College.

Wow. That's a bit of a surprise. Does Norm get to leave on his own terms when he's ready?
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

Quote from: CardinalAlum on December 12, 2022, 09:44:43 PM

Wow. That's a bit of a surprise. Does Norm get to leave on his own terms when he's ready?

Was Hoskins regarded as Norm's heir apparent? I'm less in-the-know about CCIW football coaches than I am about CCIW basketball coaches.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 12, 2022, 10:34:46 PM

Was Hoskins regarded as Norm's heir apparent? I'm less in-the-know about CCIW football coaches than I am about CCIW basketball coaches.

I would think he would've been a quality candidate after 7 years as the OC. He did a great job recruiting and was well liked by players.

devildog29

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 12, 2022, 10:34:46 PM

I'm not aware that Norm has given any indication he is close to calling it a career. 
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here, all out for Wesleyan!

D O.C.

QuoteLinfield has not gotten over the QTR final hump since then though...
Yep, just about got to be the best to get out of the brackets they get put in.