BB: NEWMAC: New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KSCfan

Good win for the Wheaties as they knock off TCNJ 6-0 behind some very good starting pitching.  Good sign that  Louie Bernardini showed no rust and almost got the no no against a team of TCNJ quality.  Wheaton seems to be off to a good start, correct if i am wrong i think they are 3-1.  Them and Babson should be the class of the NEWMAC. 

DIII Dad

Wheaton is 4-1. They beat TCNJ twice in two days. Good wins against a good team. There only loss so far is to St. Johns 11-12 in ten innings. Were down 10-2 going into the seventh, took the lead in the eigth but couldn't hold on. Not a bad start so far. It is nice to see Louie B. back and throwing well.

SonsofMattNoone

I'm very impressed by Wheaton's W over Jonnie Hopkins. This definitely should give some added credibility to the NEWMAC as a "for real" conference in the northeast. I've been reading that Babson picked up their first win of the season in their first Florida contest over 24th ranked Augustana. After sweeping a double dip today against Bethel University to better their record to 3-0 I'd like to see them ranked here on d3bb. What do you guys think?

363dp

Wheaton is headed northeast with a little bit of confidence. Doing it with the bat lately, knowing that the pitching will be there. Turning double plays regularly. They are on a roll. Looks like a very fun season is upon us. Play ball!

PopFisher

JustAFan, yes, nice start for WPI's Fahey vs. St. Joe's. As week unfolded, a little trouble vs. Beloit in next start. But also, nice start down south for WPI's Scott McNee, who "temped" in the CCBL this past summer. The 2008 returning NEWMAC Player of the Year hit 3 HRs (one off Moran, who you mentioned in your post, in his 1st AB of year), 6 doubles, 15 runs, 12 RBI, 5 SBs, 28 total bases, slugged near 1.000, and OBP of .560 s-thing in the RussMatt "southern swing". Certainly, Wheaton & Babson are the perennial heavies in the NEWMAC, yet these two guys (Fahey & McNee) have been a huge factor over the last 3 years, along w/some solid supporting cast, in the relative, one step at a time, turnaround for that program. We know its a long season, but I suspect that a team like WPI, although not one of the "big boys" on the playground yet, will at least attempt to be competitive on a daily basis, whether they are able to catch a Wheaton or a Babson by season's end or not.

ecfaninri

Pop Fisher
WPI will be in a lot of games with Fahey pitching. I saw him this summer with Lowell in the NECBL. He pitched well into most games and never got much run support. He'll probably be one of the top pitcher in the NEWMAC.

SonsofMattNoone

I like Faheys stuff, but theres no question they have run him into the ground at WPI. Gingras and Aizenstadt will battle it out for pitcher of the year with the winner probably going to the team who gets the auto bid.

NEDIII

Wheaton looks like it will be a perennial power. With a deep, experienced pitching staff, strong defense and the ability to handle the bats there should be no reason they don't win the NEWMAC...again.

363dp

WPI swept Wheaton to win the regular season title today.

363dp

All the NEWMAC league playoff games scheduled for today have been postponed until tomorrow.

NeMacMom

d3spectator

Hey guys,

I'm a new member of D3 baseball I haven't seen many games, but have followed every now and again over the years, and figure what the hell why not join if I think i can contribute a little.  I've been posting more recently on the general New England boards and whatnot talking about Wheaton/Curry/WPI's chances at large-bid attempts.

However, I recently put together some stats regarding Babson and their pitching and what kind of pitching their offense faced throughout the year.  I came across Fahey from WPI, who is having/had a spectacular year, as a legitimate All-American candidate.  I also saw they faced Gingras from Wheaton, who was an All-American in his junior campaign, but does not seem to be having quite the season he had last year.  Was wondering if anybody knows/knew about any injuries he may have had, or battling currently, or if its just a case of the pieces not falling in the right spots at the right time? Seems like the numbers hes putting up this year don't reflect the type of pitcher he really is. Just a curious question before selection Sunday, the LEC conference, and regionals kick off. (Am I bored over here? Sure. But everybody loves a little baseball :))

Also, congrats to Babson on a well played tourney this year over the heavily favored Lyons.  This regional is going to be a great spectacle to watch with the teams that may be there this year.  Also good luck to Wheaton and WPI as they attempt to secure at large bids and see Babson over in the regionals (Babson would love to see that ;)) Thanks. Have a good day.

Spec

DIII Dad

Quote from: d3spectator on May 06, 2009, 01:37:36 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a new member of D3 baseball I haven't seen many games, but have followed every now and again over the years, and figure what the hell why not join if I think i can contribute a little.  I've been posting more recently on the general New England boards and whatnot talking about Wheaton/Curry/WPI's chances at large-bid attempts.

However, I recently put together some stats regarding Babson and their pitching and what kind of pitching their offense faced throughout the year.  I came across Fahey from WPI, who is having/had a spectacular year, as a legitimate All-American candidate.  I also saw they faced Gingras from Wheaton, who was an All-American in his junior campaign, but does not seem to be having quite the season he had last year.  Was wondering if anybody knows/knew about any injuries he may have had, or battling currently, or if its just a case of the pieces not falling in the right spots at the right time? Seems like the numbers hes putting up this year don't reflect the type of pitcher he really is. Just a curious question before selection Sunday, the LEC conference, and regionals kick off. (Am I bored over here? Sure. But everybody loves a little baseball :))

Also, congrats to Babson on a well played tourney this year over the heavily favored Lyons.  This regional is going to be a great spectacle to watch with the teams that may be there this year.  Also good luck to Wheaton and WPI as they attempt to secure at large bids and see Babson over in the regionals (Babson would love to see that ;)) Thanks. Have a good day.

Spec

d3spectator,
I think it was more of the pieces not falling into place. His two losses he gave up 12 runs but only 4 were earned. Having talked to him he will be the first to tell you that no matter what happens behind him he has to make pitches to get the team off the field. His ERA got inflated after the RIC game only because the home plate ump was not giving either team calls on the corners. All pitchers that day were painting the corners and getting no calls forcing them to throw it down the middle. That's probably why they ended up with a 19-13 final score.

Ralph Turner

Sorry Wheaton, and Congratulations to WPI!

We overvalued New England this year.

massd3fan

I am usually posting in the basketball boards here, but just had to stop in and give a big hand to WPI.

Congratulations to the WPI baseball team!  They have had the greatest baseball season in school history and will played for the first time ever in the D3 NCAA Baseball Championship Tournament!