BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Stevens Point had arguably the best lineup in the WIAC this year...  I just wasn't sure they had the pitching depth to win a Regional, however the return of Pickering (despite getting beat by North Central yesterday) was a "shot in the arm" for the rotation.

Should be an interesting best-of-three match-up in the Super Regional against WIAC rival Whitewater next weekend...
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

Quote from: mr_b on May 22, 2022, 07:31:06 PM
Shanner had 5 HBP's (in just four innings), Jensik had one in 0.2 innings of work, and Kotecki just recorded a seventh hit batsman.
Make that NINE HBP's....

mr_b

Final score, Stevens Point 21, North Central 8.  The Pointers were dominant today, and as cubs just observed, it will be an entertaining super regional with UW Whitewater.  The cardinals wrap up the season with a record of 35-14.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 22, 2022, 04:15:33 PM
Quote from: mr_b on May 22, 2022, 03:53:49 PM
Stevens Point broke open a one-run contest with four runs in the sixth, five in the seventh, and 14, yes 14, runs in the 8th for a 27-3 win.  In the 14-run outburst, pinch-hitter Kyle Finger homered twice, one of four round-trippers off Cardinals pitching in that inning.  The Pointers launched eight home runs in the game.  The winner-take-all game for the regional title is scheduled for ~3.30 PM local time.

How about a trivia question to last to eternity...

Name the batter who hit 2 pinch hit home runs in the same inning in a D3 Regional tournement.
Restated...

Name the pinch hitter who hit 2 home runs in the same inning in a D3 Regional Tournament.

Is that statement correct?  Thanks.  ;)

mr_b

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 22, 2022, 09:38:53 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 22, 2022, 04:15:33 PM
Quote from: mr_b on May 22, 2022, 03:53:49 PM
Stevens Point broke open a one-run contest with four runs in the sixth, five in the seventh, and 14, yes 14, runs in the 8th for a 27-3 win.  In the 14-run outburst, pinch-hitter Kyle Finger homered twice, one of four round-trippers off Cardinals pitching in that inning.  The Pointers launched eight home runs in the game.  The winner-take-all game for the regional title is scheduled for ~3.30 PM local time.

How about a trivia question to last to eternity...

Name the batter who hit 2 pinch hit home runs in the same inning in a D3 Regional tournement.
Restated...

Name the pinch hitter who hit 2 home runs in the same inning in a D3 Regional Tournament.

Is that statement correct?  Thanks.  ;)
I think that captures the accomplishment very concisely!

cubs

Quote from: cubs on May 22, 2022, 07:26:38 PM
North Central battles back to tie things up 8-8 in the 6th inning, however Stevens Point has scored six times in the 7th inning to retake the lead, 14-8....  Lucas Luedtke with the big blow, a three-run HR, as he is 5x5 with 6 RBI's in the Regional Championship game.
If it makes North Central fans feel any better, Luedtke is picking up right where he left off in the Super Regional against Whitewater...  He's 3x4 with THREE HR's and 4 RBI's today as Stevens POint leads Whitewater 6-3 in the Top of the 7th inning...

mr_b

The D3 Baseball All-Region Teams have been announced.  The CCIW is well represented with two on the first team, three on the second team, and six on the third team.

Next Man Up

The home plate umpire for today's White Sox game is Alex Tosi, who is a former (2010) IWU pitcher.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CardinalAlum

NCC opened their season down in Carbondale this weekend and came away with three solid wins over Ripon (16-5), Blackburn (12-2) and DePauw (8-2). Cardinals return a bunch of experience and talent and were the CCIW Coaches choice to win the league. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

BigPoppa

Carthage Redmen (I cannot bring myself to call them Firebirds) split four games in Florida... Return to Kenosha 2-2 with wins over Albion and Anna Maria followed by a pair of losses to Grove City and Fitchburg State. A few things that stand out to me (granted, it's early and likely have not been outside much, if at all):

Hitting .260 as a team (ehhh....)
Allowed 13/18 SBs on the weekend (that's not a good start)
Zuleger hit in the middle of the lineup for the opener with a 3-run bomb and didn't play the rest of the weekend? (Injury?)
Carthage hitters struck out 43 times in 4 games.... that's a ton of unproductive outs.
Pitchers allowed 27 walks in four games ... cannot win many games doing that.

Really hoping they can get it back on track in AZ next week.

Go Big Red!

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mwunder

Not much chat here in CCIW baseball, but I can't help but wonder what's going on in Kenosha?  The team hasn't won 20 games once over the past 4 non-covid seasons.  This season and the last two have produced 25 or more losses.  Since they went 31-12 in 2018, they are 60-101 (29-63 in CCIW).  What happened to the program?

cubs

Quote from: mwunder on May 04, 2023, 12:55:42 PM
Not much chat here in CCIW baseball, but I can't help but wonder what's going on in Kenosha?  The team hasn't won 20 games once over the past 4 non-covid seasons.  This season and the last two have produced 25 or more losses.  Since they went 31-12 in 2018, they are 60-101 (29-63 in CCIW).  What happened to the program?
They've stopped getting the Wisconsin kids from the Fox Valley to come to Kenosha and play baseball....  Some may think it's not that simple, but consider this:

When Carthage was competing for CCIW, Regional and World Series titles in the past, the entire lineup was from Wisconsin with just the occasional guy from Illinois.  Looking at their roster this year, they have 14 kids from Wisconsin and over half (8) of those are from Kenosha.  There isn't a single kid from north of Highway 21 (the Fox Valley) which used to be where they got the guys like Muthig, Everts, Winfield and Hallock that built the program into what it used to be.

I'll defer to BigPoppa on just about everything Carthage, but I don't think that it's a mere coincidence...

mr_b

The 2023 CCIW Tournament field is set.  The games start on Wednesday in Moline, with these first-round pairings:

#1 Augustana vs. #6 Carroll
#2 North Central vs. #5 Illinois Wesleyan
#3 Millikin vs. #4 North Park

Gregory Sager

Quote from: cubs on May 04, 2023, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: mwunder on May 04, 2023, 12:55:42 PM
They've stopped getting the Wisconsin kids from the Fox Valley to come to Kenosha and play baseball....  Some may think it's not that simple, but consider this:

When Carthage was competing for CCIW, Regional and World Series titles in the past, the entire lineup was from Wisconsin with just the occasional guy from Illinois.  Looking at their roster this year, they have 14 kids from Wisconsin and over half (8) of those are from Kenosha.  There isn't a single kid from north of Highway 21 (the Fox Valley) which used to be where they got the guys like Muthig, Everts, Winfield and Hallock that built the program into what it used to be.

I'll defer to BigPoppa on just about everything Carthage, but I don't think that it's a mere coincidence...

Here's the thing, though: East central Wisconsin is not the only place to find ballplayers. There is great baseball talent no matter where you look (although there's more of it in warmer climes than there is elsewhere, for obvious reasons). If one recruiting area dries up, there are plenty of others into which to tap. Heck, there really ought to be a larger recruiting footprint than one specific area if a team wants to be a national contender, anyway.

From what I've been told, Carthage's decline is directly tied to the departure of a certain assistant coach (can't remember his name) at some point in the past. It stands to reason that this assistant coach was the one with all of the connections in the Lake Winnebago region. It also makes one wonder just how much Augie Schmidt was directly involved in the recruiting process.

I doubt that anybody at Carthage is going to hustle Schmidt out the door, given the outstanding success Carthage has had over the long arc of his career and the fact that the Schmidt family is practically synonymous with Carthage baseball (as the name of the school's baseball stadium attests). But one wonders, given his age and the program's steep decline into the CCIW basement, how much longer he's going to hang around.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell