MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'95 Blugold

UWEC had J-term finals on Friday and Spring semester starts today. Could be why it ended up being the weekend if the rest of the conference has a similar academic calendar. Women didn't play either this weekend. Hockey teams were both in action though.

tomt4525

6'5" Shawano F, Mitchell Metcalf-Grassman, has committed to the Oshkosh Titans.

palum

LaX beats Platteville tonight at Platteville 82-67. Platteviile's Logan Pearson led all scorers with 27 points. LaX's Will Furhman scored 20 against his father's old team. LaX was up by 11 at half and increased its lead in the 2nd half to around 15 points. Pearson put the Pioneers on his back and Platteville got within 7 points but LaX always had an answer. The game was Platteville's annual "Garding Against Cancer" game and fans raised over $3,500 in the fight against Cancer.

badgerwarhawk

Stevens Point: 66
WARHAWKS: 86

Point held the lead for a total of 15 seconds, allowed the WARHAWKS to score 54 points in the paint and shoot 60% on the night.  Carter Capstran led the way with 19 points.  Other double figure scorers included Drew Fisher (17), Trevon Chislom (14), Miles Barnstable (12) and Elijah Lambert (11).  Lambert finished with a team high 8 rebounds while Fisher pulled down 7.  Jameer Barker finished with 5 assists. 

Josiah Gillie led the Pointers with 16.  Point struggled defensively and the WARHAWKS repeatedly got inside for easy baskets.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Greek Tragedy

La Crosse 82, Platteville 67
Oshkosh 74, Eau Claire 63
River Falls 63, Stout 47
Whitewater 86, Stevens Point 66

Oshkosh 9-1, 16-5
La Crosse 7-3, 16-5
Whitewater 6-4, 15-6
Eau Claire 5-5, 13-8
Platteville 5-5, 12-9
River Falls 4-6, 10-11
Stevens Point 3-7, 10-11
Stout 1-9, 5-15

Saturday
Platteville at Stout
Oshkosh at River Falls
Whitewater at Eau Claire
Stevens Point at La Crosse
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

AmherstRules

What will it take for Stevens Point to get back to their competitive past? Is it recruiting, coaching, etc? Is there still hangover from the NCAA violations from years back?

I am thinking about driving down from Hudson Saturday to see LaCrosse host Point, as the locals I spoke to here suggest that Oshkosh is going to be a prohibitive favorite over River Falls which is just down the road.

By the way, it has been cold as hell since I moved here from MA.
World travel isn't all its cracked up to be. Neither is Duluth/Superior.

badgerwarhawk

FWIW some would say LaCrosse is nearly as much a prohibitive favorite over Point as Oshkosh is over River Falls.  Both won the initial meeting by 11-13 points.  JMO but from looking at this Saturday's schedule the best game, on paper anyway, could be the WARHAWKS game in Eau Claire.  The first game was settled by a single point and the two are relatively well matched.  Eau Claire made 11 three point baskets in the first game.   

I'd be interested in your take on the level of physicality in our league vs what you've known in Amherst and the teams you've seen out east.   I don't know how many WIAC games you've seen so if you want to wait until you've seen more that's cool.  But I hope you'll comment at some point.

Whatever game you go to I hope you have a good time and a belated welcome to the WIAC.   

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: AmherstRules on February 03, 2023, 02:11:29 PM
What will it take for Stevens Point to get back to their competitive past? Is it recruiting, coaching, etc? Is there still hangover from the NCAA violations from years back?

I am thinking about driving down from Hudson Saturday to see LaCrosse host Point, as the locals I spoke to here suggest that Oshkosh is going to be a prohibitive favorite over River Falls which is just down the road.

As Badger said, welcome to WIAC country. Honestly, I thought you were just trolling us, with your handle and all. LOL I would 2nd Badger's thoughts and go to the Whitewater game in Eau Claire at the historic Zorn Arena. Maybe you'll even see Badger, himself, there!

I would also like to hear your comments comparing the leagues. Obviously both have been in the Top 5 conferences for awhile now, generally speaking.

Even as a Pointer fan, not sure what do think about Point. Recruiting seems to have been scarce lately, so it was nice to get a pretty big recruiting class in this year, even though a lot (all?) of the transfers have left the program. Tough sledding lately, but if this recruiting class is any indication, hopefully things are looking up. It could be a hangover from the violations, no idea.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

AmherstRules,

OK, I'll edit my suggestion. I would do what I did a few weekends ago. I would go to Menomonie for the Stout game vs Platteville at 3 pm and then go to Eau Claire, about a half hour away, and see Whitewater and Eau Claire at 5 pm.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

PauldingLightUP

For UW Stevens Point men, tomorrow is officially their last day of probation. So, starting Sunday I expect to turn things around haha.

Some good games all in the West (20-21 division teams hosting) tomorrow for sure.

tomt4525

First off, welcome to Western Wisconsin.  I am your neighbor, I was in Hudson for a few years but a little over a year ago moved to River Falls.

I try to follow WIAC recruiting as much as possible, and that has definitely been an issue with UWSP for a few years.  They missed on many of their top targets, mostly to Oshkosh and La Crosse.  In my mind, the bigger issue is player retention though.  UWSP used to hardly ever have kids leave before graduating, lately it's been very common for players to quit or transfer out. 

Philip Flory transferred in right before covid hit and played the covid shortened season.  He averaged around 20 points and had 2 years of eligibility left after the shortened season.  He would definitely be an All American candidate but left to play some type of professional basketball instead of using those 2 extra years of eligibility.  Flory would be the headliner, but there are other players out there that quit or transferred from Point who would be helping this team out.

Recruiting did pick up some this past season.  Getting Jake Buchanan at semester break last year was huge.  Landon Van Calster was a huge get as well, he was committed to D2 Northern Michigan and not sure why he didn't end up there.  He committed to Point late in the process. 

So, to answer your question as best as i can.  Recruiting does need to pick up and the players they do get need to stick in the program.  Winning cures all, hopefully that starts next year.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 89
Eau Claire: 77

The first time the two teams met the Blugolds sank 11 of 21 three point attempts to the WARHAWKS 5 of 12 and came away with a one point victory.  Last night the table turned and it was the WARHAWKS who found their touch shooting 64% for the game and sinking 10 of 16 three point attempts while the Blugolds made just 6 of 14.  Eau Claire's only lead in the game was 2-0 after the first basket.  The WARHAWKS quickly erased that and built their first half advantage to 19 points twice before the half ended 46-30.  The WARHAWKS lead would grow to a high of 24 in the second half before the Blugolds rallied, cutting it to eight, 84-76, with just over a minute to play before the WARHAWKS finished 5 of 6 from the charity stripe to secure the win.  Miles Barnstable went 10 of 12 from the floor and a perfect 4-4 at the free throw line to lead all scorers with 29 points.  Jameer Barker added 20 points.  Trevon Chislom (11), Delvin Barnstable (10) and Carter Capstran (10) also finished in double figures. 

Brock Voigt led EC with 24 points and 9 rebounds.  In WHITEWATER Voigt had 10 blocks.  Last night he 0.

Next: Oshkosh on Wednesday

WIACer

Went to UWO vs UWRF game. Physical. Great atmosphere. First time in gym, wow! The biggest surprise out of the game. Osh shooting 29 ft to UWRF 13.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Oshkosh (10-1, 17-5) at Whitewater (7-4, 16-6)
The Titans have reeled off 8 in a row now with only 2 of those results single digits wins. Whitewater's Pool C hope are all but dashed, so conference seeding is a priority. The Warhawks have won 3 in a row after their shock defeat at home to River Falls. This will be closer than the 18-pt loss at Oshkosh, but the result will be the same for the hosts.

La Crosse (8-3, 17-5) vs Stout (1-10, 5-16)
The Eagles try to keep pace with Oshkosh as they play host to Stout. The Eagles have 5 losses and all are at home. Any slip up against lesser opponents was answered as they buried the Pointers last time out. Stout trying to play spoiler, but they haven't been competitive in a few games. The Blue Devils did put a scare into the Eagles in Menomonie, only losing by 3. I don't see that happening again in La Crosse.

Platteville (6-5, 13-9) vs Eau Claire (5-6, 13-9)
The Pioneers have been a model of inconsistency. After dropping two OT home conference games to start the season, they won 4 in a row. Now, they've lost 3 of 5. One of their signature wins at the time was at Eau Claire. The Blugolds have been equally inconsistent. After high water wins over Oshkosh and at Whitewater, Eau Claire have lost 5 of 7 including aa loss at Stevens Point. They'll try to avoid the season sweep at the hands of Platteville, but I'll take the home team.

River Falls (4-7, 10-12) at Stevens Point (3-8, 10-12)
It's a battle for the last conference playoff spot (assuming it's still 6 teams) as Point tries to avenge their earlier loss at River Falls. They've been blown out on the road the last 2 games, so some home cooking will taste good. The Falcons have been competitive, even in their losses, recently. They'll go into Quandt hoping for a season sweep and a stranglehold on the 6th seed. Point in a close one.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!