All Americans

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), March 01, 2006, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: knightstalker on March 20, 2006, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2006, 04:30:50 PM
Quote from: sac on March 20, 2006, 04:21:35 PMFarmingdale......a horticulture school......am I the only one that caught this.  :D

I understand that they have a huge rivalry with their D3 neighbor Hunter College, a school that features a marksmanship major and has a very solid biathlon team.  ;)

Seeing as Hunter is in the middle of Manhattan they also offer a drive by major.

I'd hate to run into the Hunter grad who had a double major in marksmanship and drive-by.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Knightstalker

On a more serious note, Long Island used to be nothing but Seaside resorts and potatoe farms.  I actually believe that is where Farmingdale got its name.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

OK, I've held off long enough, but since 'Stalker is keeping the "Mango Salsa" picture up for a while, does anyone else think the "main" caveman in the commercial looks exactly like Val Kilmer?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sac

Now that you mention it .........yes. :D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: sac on March 20, 2006, 04:51:47 PM
Now that you mention it .........yes. :D

I've been obsessed with that since it came out.  I got good at spotting Val in make-up while watching "The Saint."  It totally seems like something he, with the reputation for extreme wackiness, would do.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

By the way, Sac, congratluations on your runner up finish in the women's pick'em.  It's sad to see someone lose on a tiebreaker, but its also nice to see a Hall of Famer in contention rather than one of the anonymous sycophants who show up in March.

diehardfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2006, 05:26:02 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on March 19, 2006, 09:21:52 PM
The CCIW probably has two legitmate 2006-07 preseason All-American candidates, both big guys - 6-6 Anthony Simmons of North Central (18.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg, .559 FG) and 6-7 Zach Freeman of Illinois Wesleyan (16.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg, .599 FG).

It'll be three legitimate 2006-07 preseason All-American candidates if God tells Wheaton shooting guard Kent Raymond (15.9 ppg, 46.7% trey percentage as a freshman in 2004-05) that it's time for him to pick up a basketball again.

Greg, weren't you one of the people who said that making jokes about that wasn't appropriate?  ???

I don't know if Kent really had a special revelation from God or not. But it certainly tends to be the case that most people think the secret whisperings of God into the hearts of his people come off as crazy to those who are outside of the situation. While I can't imagine people being extremely happy about his departure, except for opposing teams obviously, I'm skeptical that Kent cares a great deal about what people think on the issue.

From everything I have heard, I've gotta believe that it's extremely unlikely that Raymond will be back.
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

diehardfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2006, 05:26:02 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 19, 2006, 09:50:06 PMThis gets back to a debate that I (at least) find quite interesting - assessing the merits of a 'solo' star vs. a 'star among stars'. The 'solo' star has the statistical advantage of being the go-to guy, but the downside of being constantly double-teamed. The 'star among stars' has to 'share the wealth', but has much better teammates to get him the ball. (Other points on each side have been raised as well, but these were the main issues.)

This year, Simmons was (mostly) a solo star, while Freeman clearly was a star among stars.

Not true, Chuck. Check out North Central's scoring statistics:

Anthony Simmons: 18.5 ppg from 331 FGAs, 151 FTAs
Dan Walton: 16.7 ppg from 328 FGAs, 45 FTAs
Ray Vicario: 11.6 ppg from 248 FGAs, 53 FTAs
Adam Krumtinger: 10.3 ppg from 236 FGAs, 57 FTAs

The fifth and sixth members of the Cardinals' regular rotation, Adam Teising and Chris Drennan, took their fair share of shots as well. Simmons took slightly more than 20% of his team's total field goal attempts -- hardly the sign of a "solo star."  (He did shoot a higher percentage of his team's total free throws, slightly less than 31%, but that's not unusual for a dominant big man -- Freeman attempted over 29% of Wesleyan's FTs.)

The CCIW braintrust duly noted the contributions of Simmons' teammates by making Walton an All-CCIW second-teamer and Teising an All-CCIW third-teamer.

When Simmons was double-teamed, his teammates made the opposition pay for it. He was most definitely not a "solo star."

Though I obviously didn't see him this year, I've always been a huge fan of Walton. I'd argue that he was NCC's MVP for the conference tourney, and a key reason NCC was in the playoffs. I'm surprised that anyone who followed those games would neglect to notice how important Walton was in them, and for NCC in general. In the playoff games (conference and NCAA) Walton outscored Simmons 2 of 3 times, with great all around stats and several hugely clutch plays.
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager

RIP WheatonC

Gregory Sager

Quote from: diehardfan on March 20, 2006, 05:16:46 PMGreg, weren't you one of the people who said that making jokes about that wasn't appropriate?  ???

I wasn't joking. Seriously. I was making the logical deduction that a motivational catalyst of such gravity could only be reversed by one of equal gravity. In other words, I don't think that Kent Raymond is going to pick up a basketball again just because he feels the urge or because his teammates or the coaches (or anyone else, for that matter) begs him to do so. I think it's safe to say that he'll only do it if he feels led by God to start playing again.

Wheaton assistant coach Paul Ferguson has an excellent analogy for the Raymond situation. He compared it to God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, the implication being that you have to have the highest of motivations coming from the ultimate unimpeachable source in order to be willing to give up something that's so dear to you. Consequently, the only thing that could've reversed Abraham's subsequent intention to carry out the command was God staying his hand.

If I was someone who was inclined to make sport of Raymond's convictions, believe me, I could've done much better in terms of constructing a punchline.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

diehardfan

Thanks Greg, that fuller explanation sounds much more like you than the offhanded comment did... then again, I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that terse isn't really one of those adjectives that are generally used to describe you! :)

RIP WheatonC

John Gleich

Q,

I think you're totally on track with Freeman as a pre-season All-American.  He'd get my vote.  I only saw him one game (Sweet 16 vs. Carroll) but his relentlessness around the hoop and his explosiveness make him very hard to guard.  I was quite impressed by him in the game I saw, and the numbers he put up through the last third of the season were tremendous.

It will be interesting to see how he does next year because 1) he will play a much more integral scoring roll on the Titan's lineup (with the Seniors leaving, he will be the "veteran") and 2) there won't* be the outside scoring threats of Amelianovich and Dauksas to keep the defensive double-teams at bay.

*Note, I fully realize that the Titan well is far from dry.  I don't know (or actually can't remember) who the guys are that will be filling in the rolls of the Senior guards from this year, but I expect that they will definately benefit from the attentiona that Freeman will get in the post, which in turn will get them more open shots, which in turn will cause the defense to extend, which will allow Freeman some more room to do his work...

etc, etc, but I think that the Titans will be a very solid team next year because of the experiences from the past few seasons and from the leadership shown by this Senior class.  Add to this the quality of returning players, like Freeman, and they'll be tough to handle like usual.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Pat Coleman

Quote from: PointSpecial on March 21, 2006, 12:38:45 AM
Q,

I think you're totally on track with Freeman as a pre-season All-American.  He'd get my vote.

Mine too. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Knightstalker

The only complaint with the AA's this year is Mark Washington did not make the team and I thought he was a deserving candidate.  I am sure he was mentioned but with the number of swingmen in D-III it is hard to include all.

I also thought that Latrice McNair would definitely be AA at point guard but she has two more years to make it and she will barring injury.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

formerbant10

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2006, 04:35:01 PM
Quote from: sac on March 20, 2006, 04:21:35 PMFarmingdale......a horticulture school......am I the only one that caught this.  :D

I understand that they have a huge rivalry with their D3 neighbor Hunter College, a school that features a marksmanship major and has a very solid biathlon team.  ;)

Seeing as Hunter is in the middle of Manhattan they also offer a drive by major.

I'd hate to run into the Hunter grad who had a double major in marksmanship and drive-by.

Hunter is on the Upper East Side..... 68th and Lexington to be precise.  I don't think you'll see a drive by in that area

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: formerbant10 on March 21, 2006, 11:50:30 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2006, 04:35:01 PM

Hunter is on the Upper East Side..... 68th and Lexington to be precise.  I don't think you'll see a drive by in that area

That's why they have to teach it; there's just no natural talent in the area.