Author Topic: FB: Liberty League  (Read 5896911 times)

Offline IC798891

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
Re: FB: Liberty League
« Reply #54780 on: January 16, 2023, 08:58:46 pm »

I very much hope they follow the recent approach of grabbing an experienced coordinator from a successful FCS program, which is what they did with Behrman and what Ithaca recent did (with much success) with Toerper

Toerper spent basically his entire career in D3 save the one season prior to his hiring.

Offline Ice Bear

• All-Region
  • Keep plugging U!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54781 on: January 17, 2023, 10:55:20 am »
In other news, based on Twitter, it looks like Union starting safety Diavon Clements is transferring to Central Missouri State, and freshman WR Nick Dunneman has touted an “offer” from Mount Union and a collection of holiday cards from some FCS programs, but nothing final.  Doesn’t appear that Azarai Lewis (starting CB) or Avery Turton (back up WR) have landed anywhere.

Ice says  ::) these ****ing kids...

Ice says funny, he had a thought about the possibility of Dunneman and Mount Union. Ice thinks he'd have some success there especially with their short passing game.

Ice says right or wrong, mature or immature, bitter or not, he ****ing hates the transfer portal. Ice says with that said, on the human level when he takes off his Garnet colored glasses he does wish each of these kids the very best in their respective journeys though.
There's only one place that makes Shocktown look good...that's Troylet.

Offline UfanBill

• All-Conference
  • "Fire the Cannon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54782 on: January 19, 2023, 08:02:55 pm »
In other news, based on Twitter, it looks like Union starting safety Diavon Clements is transferring to Central Missouri State, and freshman WR Nick Dunneman has touted an “offer” from Mount Union and a collection of holiday cards from some FCS programs, but nothing final.  Doesn’t appear that Azarai Lewis (starting CB) or Avery Turton (back up WR) have landed anywhere.

Ice says  ::) these ****ing kids...

Ice says funny, he had a thought about the possibility of Dunneman and Mount Union. Ice thinks he'd have some success there especially with their short passing game.

Ice says right or wrong, mature or immature, bitter or not, he ****ing hates the transfer portal. Ice says with that said, on the human level when he takes off his Garnet colored glasses he does wish each of these kids the very best in their respective journeys though.

I hate that the Dutchmen lost Dunneman but it may work out for him. Many of you will remember a similar instance when All American WR Pierre Garcon left Norwich, VT. to transfer to Mt. Union. It worked out for Garcon as his exposure with the Purple Raiders led him to further accolades and an eventual NFL career.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Offline Oline89

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #54783 on: January 21, 2023, 08:55:50 am »
Anybody concerned that there may be a few LL teams thqt don't put together full 10 game schedules?  E8 has a commitment with Landmark league, NJAC and CC.  I know RPI is playing Dean, Union always has NE teams, and IC will always have Cortland....Are there enough New England teams to fill out the LL schedules?

Offline Jonny Utah

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #54784 on: January 24, 2023, 11:10:49 am »
Anybody concerned that there may be a few LL teams thqt don't put together full 10 game schedules?  E8 has a commitment with Landmark league, NJAC and CC.  I know RPI is playing Dean, Union always has NE teams, and IC will always have Cortland....Are there enough New England teams to fill out the LL schedules?

I've never been concerned with this.  There are 7 NEWMAC teams (leaving 4 empty non-conference slots open), 11 MAC teams (MAC has appeared to leave two non-conference slots open), 9 MASCAC teams (leaving 2 slots), 7 CCC (leaving 4 slots), 7 ECFC teams (this league is changing and a few teams would be longer road trips), PAC leaves 2 spots open as well.

Throw in the other Ohio/NJ/PA schools in leftover conferences and I think you have a good balance.  And are we sure that the NJAC/E8/CC/Landmark are doing to fill out their schedules completely are is there some wiggle room there.  Ithaca is playing JHU and Cortland next two years I'm guessing.

Offline Caz Bombers

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #54785 on: January 24, 2023, 11:47:59 am »
Rochester and I think St. Lawrence didn't always play 10 in the best of times. Doesn't seem to really matter.

Offline IC798891

• Second-stringer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54786 on: January 24, 2023, 12:21:54 pm »
Rochester and I think St. Lawrence didn't always play 10 in the best of times. Doesn't seem to really matter.

Lest we ever forget Hobart's infamous 8-game schedule of 2011, after which they won something like 32 straight games in the regular season

Offline Oline89

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #54787 on: January 24, 2023, 06:38:17 pm »

I do think it matters with recruiting.  An athlete  always wants to play the max number of games, if he has a choice between 10 game schedule at Union and a 9 game schedule at SLU, I bet he chooses Union. 

Offline Caz Bombers

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #54788 on: January 24, 2023, 09:27:55 pm »

I do think it matters with recruiting.  An athlete  always wants to play the max number of games, if he has a choice between 10 game schedule at Union and a 9 game schedule at SLU, I bet he chooses Union.

If that's what the hypothetical dude makes his choice on, said hypothetical dude is flunking out by 2nd semester, tops.

Offline WashJeff68

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54789 on: January 25, 2023, 05:24:26 am »
The PAC has 11 teams playing football. Starting next season all games will be against conference members.
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

Offline unionpalooza

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54790 on: January 25, 2023, 07:54:20 am »

If that's what the hypothetical dude makes his choice on, said hypothetical dude is flunking out by 2nd semester, tops.

Exactly.  Sadly, though, I sometimes worry kids make their decisions this way.  I see on Twitter that Union frosh WR Nick Dunneman has transfer offers from Mt Union and Georgetown, and it’s like please dude, do the rational thing…

Offline Oline89

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #54791 on: January 25, 2023, 05:20:16 pm »

Huh, educate me here.  Are you saying the educational difference between SLU and Union is that steep?  I was picking 2 schools with very similar campuses, "rankings" and liberal arts philosophies.  One plays a 9 game season, one plays 10.  Why is the student athlete who chooses more games flunking out?  The comparison of St Lawrence and Union is a little different than comparing Mt Union and Georgetown, no?

Offline Caz Bombers

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #54792 on: January 25, 2023, 09:26:30 pm »

Huh, educate me here.  Are you saying the educational difference between SLU and Union is that steep?  I was picking 2 schools with very similar campuses, "rankings" and liberal arts philosophies.  One plays a 9 game season, one plays 10.  Why is the student athlete who chooses more games flunking out?  The comparison of St Lawrence and Union is a little different than comparing Mt Union and Georgetown, no?

Because if the kid decides his college based on which football team plays one more non conference game than the other, he's too stupid to have been admitted to that college at all. (Frankly, I thought my meaning was quite obvious. Unionpalooza got it immediately.)

Offline Oline89

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #54793 on: January 26, 2023, 06:40:03 am »

Because if the kid decides his college based on which football team plays one more non conference game than the other, he's too stupid to have been admitted to that college at all. (Frankly, I thought my meaning was quite obvious. Unionpalooza got it immediately.)

Well, then you completely missed the point.  The "kid" was smart enough to be admitted to Union (USN&WR #48 liberal college) and St Lawrence (#68). Maybe go check the definition of "obvious" again. Later fellas, see you in the fall....

Offline Ice Bear

• All-Region
  • Keep plugging U!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54794 on: January 26, 2023, 11:04:00 am »

Exactly.  Sadly, though, I sometimes worry kids make their decisions this way.  I see on Twitter that Union frosh WR Nick Dunneman has transfer offers from Mt Union and Georgetown, and it’s like please dude, do the rational thing…

Ice Bear thanks Palooza for the info on Nick D. Ice assumes Dunneman is a very bright kid as well as a very good football player. Ice says many factor could come into play influencing his decision.

Ice would honestly like to see him become a Hoya. Ice says a degree from Georgetown and the experience that would potentially go along with it would be top notch (school prestige, living in DC), especially if football doesn't work out. Ice says you head to Mt. Onion and you significantly drop the level of education you receive (Ice is not saying this with his nose up like a NESCAC **** would say it, but it is the truth), you still risk the chance of injury and/or not playing much because of the ridiculously high level of competition there (Nick is an excellent player, don't get Ice wrong but we are talking about UMUC here). Between it's recruiting practice, draw of top talent, and the amount of quality players there that never see the field... Nick would be taking a big chance going there with the downside being much worse and in IBHO, much more possible.

Ice says either way, he'll say it again. He wishes Nick the best of luck and is grateful for all he gave to the Dutchmen this season. Ice enjoyed watching him play ball.
There's only one place that makes Shocktown look good...that's Troylet.