New England Collegiate Conference (NECC)

Started by d3bballinboston, May 31, 2007, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Announcing a name change in the young life of this conference...

New England Collegiate Conference

The conference goes live in 2008-09.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess they didn't like not being the only NEAC in the world.  The change is good for all parties, I suppose.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Bill Gorman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 17, 2007, 10:14:51 PM
Announcing a name change in the young life of this conference...

New England Collegiate Conference

The conference goes live in 2008-09.
There used to be a New England Collegiate Conference at the D-II level, consisting of such schools as UMass Lowell, New Hampshire College (now Southern NH), New Haven, Southern Connecticut, Franklin Pierce...it disbanded when many of its members joined the Northeast-10 in the late 90's.

Interesting they came up with that one.

Bill Gorman
Associate AD/SID
Wentworth Institute of Technology

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Bill Gorman on September 19, 2007, 11:25:03 PM

Interesting they came up with that one.

"Came up" is an interesting expression.  They're now 2-2 in repeating something someone else though up.  First an acronym, now a whole name.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

I understand they were aware of the previous history of the name.

I don't have a problem with them taking a defunct name.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

newenglandball

http://www.neccathletics.com

on a side note southern vermont just got into this league.

This will give the NECC all the min. requirements of one male and one female sport in each season to have 7 schools to get the AQ's in the future

men's soccer, women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, baseball.  They are only one men's volleyball team away from having 7.

emmanuelfan

lol THIS IS TOO FUNNY. SVC couldn't compete with the schools for the blind. Congrats to them on getting back in a conference though. Until they hire all full time coaches it does'nt matter what conference they are in. Again, they have an all new part-time coaching staff.  I believe they have 2 full-time coaches with rugby and yet again a new women's basketball coach who is also coaching soccer without any experience. If they paid more than 15 to 20 grand a year for a full time coach they may get some quality coaches, until them look for SVC to stay in the bottom half of that conference, with the exception of maybe Mens basketball. They are really making strides. I think they have students who are on the ten year plan too. Did Nick Harrington graduate yet? According to their rosters they have students there that should have been gone already. Are we sure they are eligible? 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: emmanuelfan on September 23, 2007, 04:03:51 PM
lol THIS IS TOO FUNNY. SVC couldn't compete with the schools for the blind. Congrats to them on getting back in a conference though. Until they hire all full time coaches it does'nt matter what conference they are in. Again, they have an all new part-time coaching staff.  I believe they have 2 full-time coaches with rugby and yet again a new women's basketball coach who is also coaching soccer without any experience. If they paid more than 15 to 20 grand a year for a full time coach they may get some quality coaches, until them look for SVC to stay in the bottom half of that conference, with the exception of maybe Mens basketball. They are really making strides. I think they have students who are on the ten year plan too. Did Nick Harrington graduate yet? According to their rosters they have students there that should have been gone already. Are we sure they are eligible? 
You are the college president.  You determine that your campus environment will be improved by having a competitive athletic program.  Having a conference gives a program a source for games, all-conference and POTW week honors, a group of peers who should become natural rivals, and a higher presence in the collegiate world.

This in turn allows the school to seek and hire better coaching talent, which in turn improves the program.

Good luck to SVC.  You must start someplace.

emmanuelfan

I understand they must start somewhere but they should start by hiring full-time coaches like they had in the past, not part-time. Part-time coaches have other job obligations and cannot dedicate all of their time recruiting and practicing. Not to mention SVC does not help in the recruiting area because they do not have the funds. Also, they can't even get practice times to have a full squad at practice because they do not allow the students to miss classes for practices and they will not adjust the class schedules to make a time slot for teams to practice. I had a friend go there and he told me what a mess it is and that is why their teams suffer. Yes, the new president and new AD did the right thing on getting into a conference but it won't matter until they get all full-time coaches who can put the effort in. If I remember correctly about three or four years ago, they had full-time coaches and their programs were actually coming around. Men's bball won the GNAC, Women's bball actually got some GNAC victories, Volleyball, Softball, Womens and Mens Soccer were actually competitive in some games. The only sport which didnt have any wins was Baseball. Atleast they were moving in the right direction. They may have been in the wrong conference for them but the coaches were dedicated. It was the school which was not dedicated to athletics. Without athletics SVC will fold.

newenglandball

Miracle Overtime Buzzer-Beater Sends Newbury Past Eagles 

Nashua – Two seconds can seem like a lifetime. Unfortunately for the Eagles men's basketball team, they found that out the hardest way imaginable Thursday night.

Two seconds away from forcing a second overtime after Eagle freshman Chris Hanson (Salem, Mass.) sank two pressure-packed free throws to tie the game at 97, Newbury guard Steve Morris (Somerville, Mass.) answered with a 75-foot miracle that hit nothing but net as the buzzer sounded giving the visiting Nighthawks a stunning 100-97 victory in a wild matchup of future New England Collegiate rivals at a raucous Vagge Gymnasium.

Morris, who had initially forced overtime knocking down a three pointer with 21 seconds to play in regulation, took the inbounds pass from Javon Mathis (Plainville, Conn.) and heaved the ball from the far right corner knocking down the longest shot recorded in Vagge Gymnasium history in a regular season game.

The win was the eighth straight for the Nighthawks (17-7), while the Eagles (7-17) dropped their fourth straight.

Kevin Cleveland (Lynn, Mass.) led all scorers for Newbury pouring in 28 points, going 13 of 16 from the field and added 12 rebounds. Arch Mitchell (Framingham, Mass.) knocked down 21, while Mathis chipped in with 18. Morris finished with 14.

Hanson led Daniel Webster with 19 points including five three-pointers, while Adam Landry (Vernon, Conn.) knocked down five more from outside on the way to 18 points. Tim Jackson (West Henrietta, N.Y.) added 11 while Steve Savage (Salem, N.H.) chipped in with 10.

Senior Eagle captain Ryan Middlemiss (Methuen, Mass.), playing in his final home game and honored in a pregame ceremony, dished out a game and career best nine assists and added eight rebounds and five points.

Newbury led by six (44-39) at the half and by as many as 13 in the second before a pair of wild swings led to overtime.

Trailing by 11 at 74-63 with 9:09 to go in regulation, the Eagles mounted a furious comeback with an 18-5 run consuming 4:24 to take the lead. Hanson knocked down a three with 6:34 left for a 77-74 Newbury lead, followed with another with 5:11 to go to cut it to one, and Landry added another for an 81-79 lead with 4:45 left.

After building the lead to 88-81 with 2:18 to after a Hanson jumper, Newbury responded with a wild finish to force overtime. After Cleveland buried two free throws, he followed with a lay up with 1:21 left setting up Morris's first heroics.

Newbury opened the extra session with the first six points thanks to a dunk and layup from Cleveland.

Trailing by five (97-92) with 51 seconds left, Jackson knocked down a three with 40 seconds to go and Middlemiss followed with a steal of Morris with 16 seconds left.

Hanson was then fouled outside the arc and sank both freebies with 2.1 seconds to go, setting up the Morris miracle.

The Eagles, who still own the eighth and final playoff spot for the upcoming GNAC tournament, close their regular season Saturday at Rivier beginning at 1:00 p.m. The Eagles hold a one-game lead over Mount Ida for the final spot. Mount Ida travels to Lasell for a 1:00 p.m. matchup. The Eagles can clinch a tournament spot with a victory or a Mount Ida loss.

Newbury travels to Green Mountain Saturday for the four-team Association of Division III Independents Northeast championships. The Nighthawks face future NECC rival Southern Vermont at 5:30 p.m.

Ralph Turner

Where they came from...

Team ..... 2007-08
Becker.....NAC
Daniel Webster .....GNAC
Elms ..... NAC
Lesley .....NAC
Mitchell*.....IND
Newbury.....IND
Southern Vermont.....IND
Wheelock.....New

Mitchell is 4th year provisional in 2008-09.  Wheelock is adding men's athletics.

asu50

any news from scrimmage/exhibition games in NECC?? I heard Wheelock beat UMass Boston by 30 pts..isnt that impressing for a new program!?!

leelowlang

Elms, a clear front runner, with DWC, Becker, SVC, and Wheelock in the next tier with Lesley, Newbury, Mitchell the next level down.

ac08

SVC with a 7 point win over Union. With the way their forwards are playing they could be dangerous, especially as Kordana finds his rhythm.

jamiejohn

SVC is 1-4, i dont know how your calling them dangerous. I might call Elms dangerous seeing that there top 20 in the country