All Region Team

Started by moodforbaseball, May 19, 2014, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodforbaseball

Hmmmmm.  How does a guy who doesn't even make First Team in the IIAC conference at 3B end up First Team on the Central Region team???

BigPoppa

Often the IIAC (or any other conference team) is comprised of only conference stats while all-region squads take all games into account. Some guys have better overall stats than in-conference stats.

Example: I was never once a first team all-league player in college (three times second team), but I was first team all-region three times.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mr_b

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 19, 2014, 01:23:59 PM
Often the IIAC (or any other conference team) is comprised of only conference stats while all-region squads take all games into account. Some guys have better overall stats than in-conference stats.

Example: I was never once a first team all-league player in college (three times second team), but I was first team all-region three times.
Thanks for that explanation.  It clarifies some seeming contradictions in all-conference and all-region selection.

moodforbaseball

Thanks Poppa....but that doesn't apply in this case.  First teamer was better within conference and overall.   Loras kid had a great year.  Should have gotten some regional props.

moodforbaseball

Quote from: moodforbaseball on May 20, 2014, 04:31:41 PM

Thanks Poppa....but that doesn't apply in this case.  First teamer was better within conference and overall.   Loras kid had a great year.  Should have gotten some regional props.

Full disclosure.  He's my kid  ;)

Just Bill

Different groups of people voting with different priorities and viewpoints (and occasionally biases). Also, data available to voters and rules of who/how many you can vote for will likely be different between sanctioning agencies. The shear number of voters can make a big difference. No two independent groups of people would vote the same way even given the same data.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Gregory Sager

As a matter of principle, I don't alter the karma of posters by using the applause or smite buttons. But I'm sorely tempted to applaud moodforbaseball for having the integrity to identify himself/herself as the parent of the player in question. You would not believe how many family members who have a personal agenda post on d3boards.com without disclosing their identities. Sometimes their cover is blown, sometimes it isn't. But there's something really seedy about advocating for your kid while trying to avoid letting anybody know that it's your kid.

So ... kudos to you, sir (or ma'am, as the case may be).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Spence

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 21, 2014, 06:28:15 PM
As a matter of principle, I don't alter the karma of posters by using the applause or smite buttons. But I'm sorely tempted to applaud moodforbaseball for having the integrity to identify himself/herself as the parent of the player in question. You would not believe how many family members who have a personal agenda post on d3boards.com without disclosing their identities. Sometimes their cover is blown, sometimes it isn't. But there's something really seedy about advocating for your kid while trying to avoid letting anybody know that it's your kid.

+1

Completely agree with this.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 21, 2014, 06:28:15 PM

Agree as well:)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Just Bill on May 21, 2014, 11:52:38 AM
Different groups of people voting with different priorities and viewpoints (and occasionally biases). Also, data available to voters and rules of who/how many you can vote for will likely be different between sanctioning agencies. The shear number of voters can make a big difference. No two independent groups of people would vote the same way even given the same data.

Also, despite our best effort, not everyone nominates their eligible players.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.