Conference rankings

Started by sigma one, September 30, 2022, 08:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigma one

Greg did a fine job of  (re)ranking the conferences based on early results.  Here's a question:  regardless of their ranking which conferences are the most competitive inside the conference this year with multiple teams still in the running for an automatic playoff spot?

02 Warhawk

The ODAC always seems like a toss up each year. Bridgewater, Randolph-Macon and Shenandoah all are 4-0 to start the year.

wally_wabash

The ODAC has been a toss up, although Randolph Macon has been the cream of the crop there for a few years now (though still not immune from an upset as we saw last year). 

The ECFC is pretty amorphous. Husson used to dominate that conference, but since they moved on after 2018, they've had two different champions.  And just when you think there's a favorite (Anna Maria), that favorite gets beat in Week 5 by Alfred State.  There's probably four teams there in play for that AQ.  I do think Keystone is going to be among them in the next year or two as well. 

The Liberty League has been very competitive with three or four teams routinely battling for the AQ.  Ithaca seems to have separated themselves from the pack a little this year. 

The Midwest Conference should be good also with Lake Forest, Chicago, and Monmouth all in play.  Ripon is undefeated and could channel some magic in Ron Ernst's final year under the headset. 

And then way out here, the SCIAC is anybody's guess. The league's best team (Redlands) started 0-4 and lost twice in noncon games to other SCIAC teams. I'd not be surprised if any of Redlands, Chapman, CalLu, CMS, or P-P win the conference.  There's very little separating those five teams. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hazzben

I'd throw the MIAC in this mix.

Everyone assumed it was a two horse race between Bethel and SJU. But with the divisional format, the final game will determine the Pool A bid. More than that, GAC played Bethel very close Saturday, and SJU needs to beat them to win their division. And on the other side, Concordia also gave SJU a scare, and they still have their division game against Bethel coming up. Neither of those games can be considered a foregone conclusion at this point, though I'd still favor Bethel and SJU in both.

ADL70

May I nominate the PAC?

From a post by Bob Gregg

The PAC AQ is going to go to one of these five (no big surprise):
Carnegie-Mellon 3-0
Grove City 2-1
Wash-Jeff 2-1
Case Western 2-1
Westminster 1-1

Here are head-to-head results so far:
Carnegie-Mellon 40, Grove City 33
Carnegie-Mellon 10, Westminster 0
Grove City 14, Case-Western 13
Case-Western 14, Wash-Jeff 10

Here's the remaining schedule of head-to-head matchups:
Oct. 8  Wash-Jeff at Westminster
Oct. 15 Carnegie-Mellon at Wash-Jeff
Oct. 22 Westminster at Grove City
Oct. 29 none
Nov. 5 Grove City at Wash-Jeff, Case-Western at Westminster
Nov. 12 Carnegie-Mellon at Case-Western

IF CMU wins out, the AQ goes to the Tartans.
IF Wash-Jeff wins out, the Presidents need somebody to beat CWRU.
IF Grove City wins out, the Wolverines need somebody to beat CMU.
IF Westminster wins out, the Titans need somebody to beat CMU
IF Case-Western wins out, the Spartans need somebody to beat Grove City.

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite