WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 14, 2019, 11:51:21 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 14, 2019, 10:56:05 PMI was confident that IWU would pass Wartburg; was fairly confident they might pass ETBU; but they also passed SUNY Geneseo and George Fox.  That 2012 title might still be paying dividends with the voters!

::)

Greg, have you got a better explanation for them rising 4 spots when I thought they would only rise 1 or 2?

iwu70

For WC and IWU, just keep winning, building the resume for Selection Sunday. 

Nine games plus the CCIW tournament to go . . . the home stretch. 

Ypsi, just nice to see the Titans rise up the rankings again.  WC getting some just and due recognition. 

Battle the fatigue, battle the snow -- get the games in.

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 15, 2019, 12:31:03 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 14, 2019, 10:56:05 PMI was confident that IWU would pass Wartburg; was fairly confident they might pass ETBU; but they also passed SUNY Geneseo and George Fox.  That 2012 title might still be paying dividends with the voters!

Greg, have you got a better explanation for them rising 4 spots when I thought they would only rise 1 or 2?

Any explanation -- up to and including bribery, a computer virus affecting the ballots, or a selective outbreak of some mysterious plague whose symptoms include an affinity for anything associated with the color green -- is better than the one you offered in your thinly-veiled attempt to drop some more love on an IWU team from seven years ago.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

But, Greg, Ypsi and I still love that team from seven years ago!  :) 

Anyway, for this season, for these teams, looking forward to the next WC-IWU match-up in a few weeks.  Fitness and injuries may play a part.  Titans need to press the pace, get more from their defensive pressure next time.

IWU'70

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 15, 2019, 10:30:45 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 15, 2019, 12:31:03 AM

Any explanation -- up to and including bribery, a computer virus affecting the ballots, or a selective outbreak of some mysterious plague whose symptoms include an affinity for anything associated with the color green -- is better than the one you offered in your thinly-veiled attempt to drop some more love on an IWU team from seven years ago.

Greg, that was NOT a "thinly-veiled attempt" to boast about the title.  Other than their tough schedule early in the season (some of which teams don't look so tough anymore), reputation was the only viable explanation I could come up with for their unexpected jump.  That would explain Geneseo, though not necessarily George Fox.  I have absolutely no doubt that program reputation factors into voting (especially if there has been no change in coaching).

gordonmann

QuoteGreg, have you got a better explanation for them rising 4 spots when I thought they would only rise 1 or 2?

The four teams they passed all lost games -- Wartburg lost to Loras, Geneseo to New Paltz, ETBU to Texas-Dallas and George Fox to Whitman. Losing a game to a good team usually costs you a 3-5 spots in the poll.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 15, 2019, 11:33:36 PMGreg, that was NOT a "thinly-veiled attempt" to boast about the title.  Other than their tough schedule early in the season (some of which teams don't look so tough anymore), reputation was the only viable explanation I could come up with for their unexpected jump.  That would explain Geneseo, though not necessarily George Fox.  I have absolutely no doubt that program reputation factors into voting (especially if there has been no change in coaching).

Sure, I can buy into the idea that reputation may affect voting -- recent reputation. (I think that the issue of reputation is more evident for IWU on the men's side this season than on the women's side; the fact that the male Titans are still on anybody's ballots at all at this point is a head-scratcher. No other team that is on a men's Top 25 ballot has five losses, and IWU lacks a signature win, having gone 0-5 against other teams that are receiving votes.) But it's simply absurd to think that a championship from seven years ago could affect anything at this point, Chuck. Mia Smith's teams have been very good by CCIW standards (which are not high in this particular sport) in recent years, reaching the tourney in each of the last two seasons. But they didn't get out of the first weekend either time; in fact, no CCIW team has gotten out of the first weekend of the tourney since Carthage fell in the Sweet Sixteen five seasons ago. The Titans did finish #16 in the final poll last season, which is probably the residual respect that is at work here -- if, indeed, any respect at all factors into it. And I have my doubts about that, given what Gordon says here:

Quote from: gordonmann on January 16, 2019, 12:14:44 AM
QuoteGreg, have you got a better explanation for them rising 4 spots when I thought they would only rise 1 or 2?

The four teams they passed all lost games -- Wartburg lost to Loras, Geneseo to New Paltz, ETBU to Texas-Dallas and George Fox to Whitman. Losing a game to a good team usually costs you a 3-5 spots in the poll.

That's as sound an explanation as anybody needs.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

On a whim, I checked for season highs in scoring that are 20 or higher :
AUG : Izzy Anderson 37, Alexis Jones 28
CRL : Sierra Grubor 30, Theresa Wichser 24, Kayla Stefka 22, Katie Rossetti 21, Alyssa Cruz 21
CTG : Maggie Berigan 22, Madie Kaelber 22, Autumn Kalis 21
ELM none yet
IWU : Maddie Merritt 29, Kendall Sosa 27, Sydney Shanks 22
MIL : Yanni Saddler 30, Aubrey Staton 27, Jordan Hildebrand 26
NCC : Alanna Newsome 27, Natali Dimitrova 26, Tyonne Howard 21
NPU : Jayla Johnson 31
WHE : Hannah Frazier 36, Devin Kyler 22, Hannah Williams 21
Obviously there are many fine players not in this category.

Mr. Ypsi

The Cardinals jumped out to a 26-13 lead over the Titans.  IWU has been 42-15 since then.

Mr. Ypsi

Cardinals came storming back in the 4th, but Titans hang on, 82-77.  Biggest reason: Maddie Merritt was 15-16 from the line! :o

iwu70

Yes, very hard-fought game.  NC's young players are really good.  They have a bright future, esp. Newsome.

IWU over NCC at The Shirk:  82-77, after leading by 13 or so in the 3Q.

For IWU:
Merritt 19 and 6, 15-16 FTs
Hughes, pounding the paint:  16 and 7
Munroe, playing much much better now:  16
Sosa 12

Titans go to 14-3, 7-1.

Keep it rolling TITANS.  More home cook'n. 

IWU'70

iwu70

For NCC:
Newsome 22
Howard 19
Walls 13
Dimitrova 10

This young squad has a very bright future.

IWU'70

iwu70

Augie beats WC 56-51 -- Titans tied for the lead now in the CCIW!   :)

Big big game up at Wheaton!

'70

lmitzel

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 16, 2019, 09:47:06 PM
Cardinals came storming back in the 4th, but Titans hang on, 82-77.  Biggest reason: Maddie Merritt was 15-16 from the line! :o

We checked into this game shortly before halftime in Naperville and went a little nuts. Seeing an NCC team go into Bloomington, lead at halftime, and not fold after Wesleyan went on the expected run to only lose by five? I know the Cardinals are 3-14 and 1-7, but I'm as thrilled after a loss as one could expect.

Quote from: iwu70 on January 16, 2019, 09:55:48 PM
For NCC:
Newsome 22
Howard 19
Walls 13
Dimitrova 10

This young squad has a very bright future.

IWU'70

I think that's the great part: this year's team has just one senior, and Siarra O''Neill hasn't really played at all (injury or something I think).
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

GoPerry

Augustana/Wheaton: [For game score, see somebody's prior celebratory post]

This Wheaton squad has never been consistent or good enough to win every road game in conference.  It was just a matter of which one(s) they'd struggle.  Looks like neither team played that great offensively.  I didn't see the game, but the box score stat that sticks out to me is +15 (50-35) rebounding advantage for the Lady Vikes, and a +10 (16-6) on the offensive glass.  Much of this is attributed to Augie guard Alexis Jones, who at 5'7" happens to be leading the league in rebounding.  She had 7 offensive boards and 15 overall.  Given their size, Wheaton is a rather poor rebounding team anyhow.  But Idk, maybe the coaching staff could've emphasized a box out on #2 in white?

Also pretty mystifying is the high # of threes this Thunder team continues to put up (7-27 this game, 25%) when they are average at best from the arc, 31%.  Combine that with their offensive height advantage in the front court and oh well.