WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Ha ha. You're the one who was high (elevation-wise!).
As for my location, usually I'm beside myself.
Here on the NW side of Chicago, it was mostly cloudy, so the 87% eclipse wasn't greatly noticeable. I sat outdoors next to a semi-feral cat; it dozed, waking briefly to yawn and stretch. After the eclipse, it resumed its regular schedule, which meant taking a nap.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on August 23, 2017, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: RogK on August 21, 2017, 02:03:15 PM
What the? Is it just me, or is it getting darker outside?

Not sure where exactly you're located RogK, but if you're in the Naperville-Wheaton area it might have been the drugs.  :o  ;)

Was in Estes Park/Rocky Mt. National Park, Colorado on Eclipse Day. Think we were only about 100 miles from the total darkness area. The degree of darkness there at the height of the eclipse was listed as 96.12%. Was expecting it to look like about 5 minutes before dark normally, but it only got as dark as about the equivalent of 45 minutes before dark. And the Naperville-Wheaton area is farther away than Estes Park. How dark did it get in your mind? LOL!  :)

We drove to South Carolina to get the full eclipse - it got mildly dark, sort of like cloudy day dark - right up until totality, when it got really dark, really fast.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

RogK

Carthage head coach Tim Bernero gets honored :
http://www.goforesters.com/general/2017-18/releases/20170717npqe9d?platform=hootsuite
Congratulations!
I guess no one will mind if he wears Carthage red and black at that event.

Gregory Sager

Nice! Congrats to Tim! It seems like just yesterday that my North Park hoodlum friends and I were harassing Tim from the bleachers when his Foresters came to play the Vikings in the crackerbox.

It's also nice that Lake Forest has removed a bone of contention from the Bernero household by making it a two-HOF marriage, since his wife Rachel is a member of the North Park Athletic Hall of Fame.

Quote from: RogK on August 24, 2017, 08:24:12 AM
I guess no one will mind if he wears Carthage red and black at that event.

As long as he covers up the Carthage logo, no one will even know that he's being anything but a loyal Forester.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

North Central's web site now shows two new assistant coaches (temporarily listed in the 2016-17 staff) : Mark Youngs and recent student Eric Gruber.
Youngs was head coach at NAIA Davenport fairly recently and ran a fast-paced team. Subsequent to that, he coached in Ghana and was an assistant at D1 Monmouth NJ. I'd say the NAIA work has more relevance, as that game is a lot more similar to D3 than is D1 and its thick tall players.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on September 20, 2017, 07:39:13 PM
North Central's web site now shows two new assistant coaches (temporarily listed in the 2016-17 staff) : Mark Youngs and recent student Eric Gruber.
Youngs was head coach at NAIA Davenport fairly recently and ran a fast-paced team. Subsequent to that, he coached in Ghana and was an assistant at D1 Monmouth NJ. I'd say the NAIA work has more relevance, as that game is a lot more similar to D3 than is D1 and its thick tall players.

Obviously it's on the website so it's official, but I can confirm. I didn't post anything here about it because I never saw an official announcement and was kind of waiting for that.

I met Mark a few weeks ago, and I think he's excited about the new opportunity. Eric I've met kind of in passing a few times. As Rog said, he's an NCC alum (played golf), and called games both for WONC when he was an undergrad there and did color for NCTV last year. He knows his stuff.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

lmitzel

North Central's schedule should be finalized now.

The Beth Baker Classic schedule was already out, and now the one for the tournament at UT-Dallas is also up: North Central will play Trinity-Texas and Kean on December 29th and 30th.

Also filled out the schedule with a 25th game at Chicago on December 18th. It will be their first matchup since 2010-11. Still no roster yet; I imagine that's coming within the next few weeks though.
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

IWU '17-18 roster now up.

Of course, very early and a lot of new names, new possibilities there . . . but IWU has a lot of experience coming back.  So, I'd take an early stab at the starting five and say:

1 - Ehresman
2 - McGraw
3 - Shanks
4 - Schneider
5 - Merritt

Looks like a mighty fine season to me if this group can stay healthy.  Lots of questions about the next five, the rotation etc., but this is a very experienced, battle-hardened, and talented group, ready for a superb year.

IWU'70

lmitzel

NCC's roster is up as well.

A few new faces, some of whom I mentioned on here in the off-season, others I either never saw an official announcement on or heard about but couldn't comment on.

We've got a few players coming off knee injuries, but it sounds like everyone should be good to go. Will be great to see Mayson Whipple back on the court this year after she missed basically all of the 2017 portion of last year. I'm excited.

Also had a late addition to the coaching staff. Former football and baseball standout Steve Hlavac is on staff as the strength and conditioning coach.
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

Whipple is a really fun player to watch.  Glad to hear she's back and injury free.

'70

RogK

Note that IWU has brought in a new assistant coach -
http://www.iwusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=889&path=wbball
She had a substantial and far-flung playing career, followed by diverse coaching experience.

iwu70

RogK, that's very interesting.  A strong pedigree, it would appear.  Glad to see Shelby Jackson still around too.

I think this could be a very special year for the Titan women.

IWU'70

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on October 13, 2017, 12:35:37 AM
Wheaton's new roster :
http://athletics.wheaton.edu/roster.aspx?roster=255&path=wbball

A lot of youth on that roster, but knowing Kent Madsen at least a few will end up being stars and Wheaton will continue to be near the top of the conference. We'll have to see if there end up being any growing pains or not.
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Three of the five Wheaton freshmen have very familiar names. Bonnie Zeller and Heidi Considine are obviously the younger sisters of recent Wheaton standouts Ellie Zeller and Hannah Considine, and Kirsten Madsen is the head coach's daughter.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell