FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

When it comes to starters and backups, there is plenty of history to show the backup isn't always the backup simply because he can't compete w the starter. Montana- Young, Favre-Rogers, Bledsoe-Brady. Granted the starters finally aged out of position but that's not to say their backups weren't ready years prior.
Sometimes it's just a style difference.

Desertraider

Very true. Like I said Poorman is very talented - but he wasn't starting at Mount for a reason. Maybe it was leadership in the huddle, more options on the field, maybe Mount only had 1 play sheet and it fit better on Fulfords arm (ok maybe not that). The thing to watch on Poorman is how he plays after a team has film on him and games plans for him. Didn't really play anyone Fr year and no good tape for Frostburg to look at. I am sure he will be fine - but I want to see how he adjusts to a D set up to stop him.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

skunks_sidekick

Dammit Emma!  Why do you keep getting closer to someone I actually respect & appreciate!   ;)

Merle will be Merle (because that's what he does). 

At the start of the 2017 season, it really wasn't that close.   Poorman is one fine kid, and a really good D-III QB.  Fulford is an unique talent, and will do nothing but get better.  We all remember the best that has ever been QB1 at Mount.  This kid has a chance to surpass all of them.  Of course, that is if the FLA 9 MILLION POUND elephant in the room is resolved.  I will admit I thought I had insight into that situation, but I really don't know anything to add at this point.

I am in the position that I want Poorman to do well at UMHB, but maybe just to the point where he doesn't go against Mount?  Just one man's feelings that I would rather not see that emotional, potential to be snippy moment.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: desertraider on April 09, 2018, 10:51:41 PM
Very true. Like I said Poorman is very talented - but he wasn't starting at Mount for a reason. Maybe it was leadership in the huddle, more options on the field, maybe Mount only had 1 play sheet and it fit better on Fulfords arm (ok maybe not that). The thing to watch on Poorman is how he plays after a team has film on him and games plans for him. Didn't really play anyone Fr year and no good tape for Frostburg to look at. I am sure he will be fine - but I want to see how he adjusts to a D set up to stop him.

Yeah... I understand your logic but this "Frostburg couldn't prepare for poorman narrative" feels a little like the comments Heidelberg made about beating themselves against Mount last year lol.

I do agree that fit could have played a big role not just talent. Deangelo was great at getting the deep ball to receivers who could stretch the field, but it seems like poorman didn't have as big of an arm but had great accuracy and decision making. Poorman reminds me more of a russel Wilson style guy and fulford seems more like an Aaron Rodgers If that makes any sense.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

After watching Poorman's start in the playoffs, I really didn't see much a difference in game plan/calling between Fulford and Poorman.

IMO, I don't think it was that big of a change, thus wouldn't have affected Frostburg's preparation.

Thoughts?
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

buddy34

poorman would have started for nearly every D3 program in the country last year. just so happens mount had a better QB, but that in no way diminishes poorman's abilities, and i expect him to have a terrific year for MHB and probably be a top 5-10 QB. he'll certainly be a huge upgrade.

HScoach

Quote from: buddy34 on April 10, 2018, 09:39:43 AM
poorman would have started for nearly every D3 program in the country last year. just so happens mount had a better QB, but that in no way diminishes poorman's abilities, and i expect him to have a terrific year for MHB and probably be a top 5-10 QB. he'll certainly be a huge upgrade.

That was my main point.  MHB finally has a legit QB who can throw the ball with accuracy that is also quite mobile.   Not a WR playing QB like it was high school.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

merlecanlas

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 09, 2018, 10:27:11 PM
Don't want to go way back, and I'm sure some would remember: was merle anywhere near this negative about Poorman BEFORE he transferred, or is he just 'pissing' on the 'renegade'?

I've been pretty consistent about Fulford being the future QB of Mount Union and Poorman being Neal Seaman 2.0.  His game against Frostburg was outstanding, but it was against Frostburg

merlecanlas

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 09, 2018, 05:47:38 PM
Quote from: edward de vere on April 09, 2018, 05:26:56 PM
If UMHB wants to get Luke Poorman, shouldn't it also have to acquire Merle as part of the deal?

Not sure Merle would clear waivers. Maybe he wouldn't pass his physical.

Pat, I dont want to tell you how to run your site, but this seems to violate rule #3 of the Terms of Service. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: merlecanlas on April 10, 2018, 01:54:23 PM
If UMHB wants to get Luke Poorman, shouldn't it also have to acquire Merle as part of the deal?

Pat, I dont want to tell you how to run your site, but this seems to violate rule #3 of the Terms of Service.

Since when do you not want to tell me how to run my site? 😂
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

merlecanlas

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 10, 2018, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on April 10, 2018, 01:54:23 PM

Since when do you not want to tell me how to run my site? 😂

good question.  Very interested in your answer to the poll question regarding Poorman

raiderpa

I firmly believe that UMB could  have beaten Mount Union in the Stagg with Poorman at the QB spot.  Their defense was very strong and they may have needed only two TDs to win.  Could be a good debate.
I wish the kid the best.  He was nothing but a fine kid, excellent student, and good teammate.  He represents the best of division 3 sports.
Most Mount faithful will feel the same toward him.
Good luck young man and thanks for the way you represented my university in the time you were there.

Frank Rossi

It's always interesting to hear people pontificate on a subject about which they frankly just lack information.  Honestly, we don't know why Fulford got the start over Poorman in Week 1 of 2017.  One potential reason is that Poorman was viewed by VK as LK's QB, and VK viewed Fulford as his guy.  As a coach becomes deeper in their tenure, they often want their own fingerprints on a program more and more.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that — and when you're Mount Union, you can view your options as 1A, 1B, and 1C because of the quality of guys you bring in by being Mount Union.  So, even if Poorman outplayed Fulford in 2017 camp by a small amount, VK might have felt starting Fulford was the better idea from a loyalty/control approach.  Hence why I say we just don't know.

If I'm a Mount Union fan, I stop worrying so much about the past and begin to think about the future.  I think Poorman's presence made Fulford a better quarterback.  He had someone always breathing down his neck if he "dropped the ball" at any point.  I think watching Fulford's behavior (and actions associated with it) over the past six months, I learn a lot about his drive and motivation when he thinks folks aren't looking or watching.  When everyone was watching Warrantpalooza '17, he finally showed up in the respective courts, paid his fines from old actions and recent actions, and took it a lot more seriously.  Without Poorman or Davis there now, he knows the top spot is his (assuming Florida ends up becoming a non-event eventually) — and we'll see if he can handle that fact with a better level of maturity that self-motivates him.  But as a Mount Union coach, I watch early on and make sure I light a fire under him if he misses court... I mean, practice, when things get going again in the summer.

merlecanlas

Quote from: Frank Rossi on April 10, 2018, 03:45:45 PM
It's always interesting to hear people pontificate on a subject about which they frankly just lack information.  Honestly, we don't know why Fulford got the start over Poorman in Week 1 of 2017.  One potential reason is that Poorman was viewed by VK as LK's QB, and VK viewed Fulford as his guy.  As a coach becomes deeper in their tenure, they often want their own fingerprints on a program more and more.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that — and when you're Mount Union, you can view your options as 1A, 1B, and 1C because of the quality of guys you bring in by being Mount Union.  So, even if Poorman outplayed Fulford in 2017 camp by a small amount, VK might have felt starting Fulford was the better idea from a loyalty/control approach.  Hence why I say we just don't know.

If I'm a Mount Union fan, I stop worrying so much about the past and begin to think about the future.  I think Poorman's presence made Fulford a better quarterback.  He had someone always breathing down his neck if he "dropped the ball" at any point.  I think watching Fulford's behavior (and actions associated with them) over the past six months, I learn a lot about his drive and motivation when he thinks folks aren't looking or watching.  When everyone was watching Warrantpalooza '17, he finally showed up in the respective courts, paid his fines from old actions and recent actions, and took it a lot more seriously.  Without Poorman or Davis there now, he knows the top spot is his (assuming Florida ends up becoming a non-event eventually) — and we'll see if he can handle that fact with a better level of maturity that self-motivates him.  But as a Mount Union coach, I watch early on and make sure I light a fire under him if he misses court... I mean, practice, when things get going again in the summer.

lol wut?

Fulford started because he is the better QB.  He was better in 2016 and better in 2017 and will be better in 2018.  It has nothing to do with LK

Poorman is responsible for Fulford going 50/5 as a soph?  and a top QB rating?  and a national title?  ok, interesting theory

Please tell me what you've learned about the drive and motivation of D'Angelo Fulford.  I take it you've talked to him multiple time over the past "six months"?

Just say that your partner is friends with Poorman's dad and that you have a little bit of a bias against Fulford.  Its ok Frank, Luke will be ok in Texas

Frank Rossi

Merle -

As anyone associated with D3football.com and "In the Huddle" would tell you, I have more integrity in my pinky than you have in your entire body times ten.  You sit here and stir the pot, make your fan base look horrible, and don't know what in hell's name you're talking about. It's not worth even fighting with you because it just boosts your ego (but luckily, not your Twitter followers).  As I said on Twitter, most UMU fans and other folks associated with the program impressed me with their maturity and unselfish reactions Friday.  You, on the other hand, impressed me as much as a barnacle clinging to the side of the Titanic.  And we all know how that ended.  So, with respect to your baseless opinions above/below, go educate yourself a bit and maybe come back to play with the adults when you're mentally ready to do so.  Until then, as my friends in NYC say, "Gurlbye."