FB: Midwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sncdangler

Quote from: fulbakdad on November 24, 2019, 07:06:05 AM
I would consider ANY team playing in the playoffs having an awesome, awesome game.

That sounds about the right line of thinking for a fan of a team who hasn't sniffed a playoff game in 17 years and didn't score a point the one time they did make it. Mediocre thinking will yield mediocre results.

Agree with Big Red Scots about future of MWC football once St. Norbert leaves.

fulbakdad

Gregory Sager

I've heard from an inside source that Macalester's affiliate status for football has not been renewed by the MWC, which means that the Scots will have to leave your league after the 2020 season. There's a good chance that the Scots will return to the MIAC for football as soon as it becomes feasible for the league to add them. I can't imagine where else they'd go, unless the UMAC would be willing to add a tenth team for balance and Macalester would prefer to hook up with that circuit rather than come back to the MIAC.

Chicago's affiliate status has been renewed by the MWC, so you'll see the Maroons in your stadiums for the foreseeable future.

With the departure of St. Norbert and now Macalester and the open question of whether Grinnell will continue to mothball its football program (or even kill it off altogether, despite the rosy picture of the future painted in the recent Grinnell football press release), it seems like there's a lot of change going on in MWC football.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

formerd3db

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 06, 2019, 05:48:56 PM
I've heard from an inside source that Macalester's affiliate status for football has not been renewed by the MWC, which means that the Scots will have to leave your league after the 2020 season. There's a good chance that the Scots will return to the MIAC for football as soon as it becomes feasible for the league to add them. I can't imagine where else they'd go, unless the UMAC would be willing to add a tenth team for balance and Macalester would prefer to hook up with that circuit rather than come back to the MIAC.

Chicago's affiliate status has been renewed by the MWC, so you'll see the Maroons in your stadiums for the foreseeable future.

With the departure of St. Norbert and now Macalester and the open question of whether Grinnell will continue to mothball its football program (or even kill it off altogether, despite the rosy picture of the future painted in the recent Grinnell football press release), it seems like there's a lot of change going on in MWC football.

That's interesting news, Gregory.  Thanks for sharing that info.    As Pat mentioned on the other board, it would make sense for Macalester to go back to the MIAC (with St. Thomas out) although as you also point out, a UMAC spot for them wouldn't be a bad fit either.

While it is speculation at this point for any of us to consider, what do you think, if any, would be other changes in the MWC?  They will be down to 10 teams now, but, if Grinnell's program is ended, they would be down to 9, which would not be all that bad as it would be in line with some of the other west and midwest conferences in having that number.  I doubt Coe would want to come back to the MWC as the ARC is good for them, but would Cornell ever leave back for that?  And, if Grinnell decides to not continue and if Beloit ever goes defunct since the school is experiencing some financial difficulty, that would leave the MWC with eight.  I can't think of any other schools off hand, that would be a consideration for the MWC then.  Again, interesting, but speculation, yet good discussion in between/waiting for tomorrow's next round of playoff games! :)     
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Baldini

Quote from: formerd3db on December 06, 2019, 07:32:07 PM

That's interesting news, Gregory.  Thanks for sharing that info.    As Pat mentioned on the other board, it would make sense for Macalester to go back to the MIAC (with St. Thomas out) although as you also point out, a UMAC spot for them wouldn't be a bad fit either.

While it is speculation at this point for any of us to consider, what do you think, if any, would be other changes in the MWC?  They will be down to 10 teams now, but, if Grinnell's program is ended, they would be down to 9, which would not be all that bad as it would be in line with some of the other west and midwest conferences in having that number.  I doubt Coe would want to come back to the MWC as the ARC is good for them, but would Cornell ever leave back for that?  And, if Grinnell decides to not continue and if Beloit ever goes defunct since the school is experiencing some financial difficulty, that would leave the MWC with eight.  I can't think of any other schools off hand, that would be a consideration for the MWC then.  Again, interesting, but speculation, yet good discussion in between/waiting for tomorrow's next round of playoff games! :)     

Are Iowa Wesleyan or MacMurray fits for the MWC?

formerd3db

Possibly I suppose (and I forgot about Greenville), although the latter and MacMurray distance wise a better fit? However, not sure the UMAC could afford to lose those schools, unless they had some NAIA schools that could replace them (or Macalaster coming in as mentioned.)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Baldini on December 06, 2019, 07:36:08 PM

Not really. Most of the MWC schools are members of the prestigious Associated Colleges of the Midwest academic group, and I doubt that they would consider Iowa Wesleyan or MacMurray to be on par academically with MWC institutions. Also, Iowa Wesleyan has had some serious financial struggles in recent years; I'm not entirely sure that that school is out of the woods yet. And I suspect that Illinois College would not be eager to see fellow Jacksonville, IL school MacMurray become a crosstown rival in anything more than theory.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Baldini

Quote from: formerd3db on December 06, 2019, 08:04:46 PM
Possibly I suppose (and I forgot about Greenville), although the latter and MacMurray distance wise a better fit? However, not sure the UMAC could afford to lose those schools, unless they had some NAIA schools that could replace them (or Macalaster coming in as mentioned.)

Travel wise having Iowa Wesleyan in the MWC and Macalester in the UMAC makes sense. Iowa Wesleyan and Cornell already play every year and Grinnell is a natural fit there also. Where as Macalester is a stones throw to Northwestern and Crown and Minnesota-Morris, St. Scholastica and Martin Luther are all shorter bus rides. 

Baldini

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 06, 2019, 08:20:21 PM
Quote from: Baldini on December 06, 2019, 07:36:08 PM

Not really. Most of the MWC schools are members of the prestigious Associated Colleges of the Midwest academic group, and I doubt that they would consider Iowa Wesleyan or MacMurray to be on par academically with MWC institutions. Also, Iowa Wesleyan has had some serious financial struggles in recent years; I'm not entirely sure that that school is out of the woods yet. And I suspect that Illinois College would not be eager to see fellow Jacksonville, IL school MacMurray become a crosstown rival in anything more than theory.

That all is very logical.

formerd3db

Good points. Gregory.  I agree those would highly likely override the travel distance aspects that Baldini and I were mentioning, putting aside any other consideration such as the competitiveness aspect.

OzJohnnie

bald-ini. What's that?  Like a waxed belly-button or something?  I've been trying to figure out that name all week.
[  

Baldini

Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 06, 2019, 10:49:44 PM
bald-ini. What's that?  Like a waxed belly-button or something?  I've been trying to figure out that name all week.

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself. I was already well aware that I am living rent free in your head, but don't be confessing it to the rest of the world. Just ignore my postings and don't respond to them. This has reached an unhealthy level for you and you are not equipped for this. End the man crush you have of me and move on with your life. It is that simple, just stop.

blue_jays

Quote from: Baldini on December 07, 2019, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on December 06, 2019, 10:49:44 PM

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself. I was already well aware that I am living rent free in your head, but don't be confessing it to the rest of the world. Just ignore my postings and don't respond to them. This has reached an unhealthy level for you and you are not equipped for this. End the man crush you have of me and move on with your life. It is that simple, just stop.

LOLz

DuffMan

There's a good chance that the Scots will return to the MIAC for football as soon as it becomes feasible for the league to add them.

What if we don't want them back?  ;D

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Gregory Sager

Who is "we"? You and a dozen or so Johnnies football fans who post on d3boards.com?

Macalester is a member of the MIAC in every sport except for football. In fact, it's a founding member. And Macalester carries enough juice in the MIAC to have been granted that football exemption back in 2002; the MIAC's member institutions obviously benefit from having within their ranks the two most prestigious academic institutions in the state in Macalester and Carleton.

I can't imagine any MIAC-member president voting "no" on bringing Macalester football back within the fold.