FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenoshamark

Coach Rucks is moving into a new role:

Longtime Carthage football coach Tim Rucks is leaving the sideline.

Tackling a new set of administrative and managerial responsibilities, Rucks has joined the Carthage athletics administration team as an assistant director of athletics, the school announced on Tuesday. Placed on medical leave for the final three games this season, Rucks returned to work on Nov. 12 — two days after the season ended.

"Physically, I feel good. Real good," the 51-year-old Rucks said. "The doctors keep testing me. The blood pressure has been great. They think they've figured it out.

"I know I've had some health issues. Those have been well-documented this past year. It's been a hard year health-wise, but I also consider myself a young man and an energetic man."

New duties
In his new role, Rucks' duties will include athletic recruiting, student eligibility and advising, alumni relations and fundraising.

"I told (athletic director) Dr. (Robert) Bonn, 'If you thought I worked hard as a football coach, you're going to see me work harder as an administrator,' " Rucks said. "It doesn't matter what I do, it's in my blood that I'm a hard worker and a competitor."

A national search for a replacement is under way. Bonn said that previous college coaching experience is a necessity.

"This would require coordinator-level coaching or head coaching experience at the collegiate level — and successful experience," Bonn said.

Defensive coordinator Mike Yeager served as the interim head coach for the final three games this season and is a candidate.

Fifth-year offensive coordinator Terry Peebles confirmed on Tuesday that he won't be back next season. Peebles said that he would resign from his position once the new head coach is hired.

Second only to Keller
Rucks, the second-winningest coach in program history behind Art Keller, finished with an 18-year record of 95-79-1 (.546). He was 55-67-1 in CCIW play.

A standout offensive lineman for Keller from 1979-82, Rucks was hired by his alma mater in 1995 after serving as the head coach at North Park for five seasons.

The high point of Rucks' coaching career came in 2004. After going 3-7 (1-6 CCIW) the previous season, the Red Men won their first CCIW title since 1973 with a 6-1 record and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division III playoffs where they lost to powerhouse Mount Union, 38-20, to finish 11-2.

He was later honored as the American Football Coaches Association North Region and CCIW Coach of the Year.

"That was a special season," Rucks said. "I'll never forget practicing on Thanksgiving Day. I think that's a goal for any (Division III) coach."

Big adjustment
When next fall rolls around, Rucks realizes it will be a major adjustment.

"Most people say they will miss the games or the practice preparation," Rucks said. "I will miss that period from Thursday night until kickoff on Saturday ... just that feeling of a combination of anticipation and nervousness. It was almost like a kid on Christmas morning who can't wait to open up the presents. I liked that feeling. I never lost that."

Rucks didn't rule out a return to coaching, though.

"My options are open," he said. "I'm excited about moving into the administrative end of things. I'll attack that as hard as I attacked my coaching. In life, I don't think you ever close the doors on anything."

After the news was announced on Tuesday morning, Rucks received plenty of phone calls, emails and text messages from former players and other well-wishers.

"It's been extremely gratifying to me," he said. "It makes me think that my 18 years was worth it. It makes me realize that their experience playing football at Carthage was important to them.

"I've spent a lot of my life at Carthage — four years as a student and 18 years as a coach. I love Carthage. I think it's a great place."

footballfan413

Best of luck to Coach Rucks in his new role at Carthage.  He was one of the CCIW coaches that had my son on his radar back in 02/03 but he couldn't get him to come up for a visit.  It was not for lack of effort on his part.   8-)
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

New Tradition

I'll never forget practicing on Thanksgiving Day. I think that's a goal for any coach.

Coach Rucks is absolutely right.  I've been fortunate enough to have 2 practices on Thanksgiving Day in my life, one as a player and one as a coach (both at the high school level). It is by far the most special practice to be able to participate in.  I think about it all the time, mostly at the start of the season and at the start of the playoffs as a goal.

Glad to hear from his own mouth that he's feeling healthy.  I'm sure he'll be fantastic in his new role!
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

CardinalAlum

Quote from: New Tradition on November 21, 2012, 09:26:23 AM
I'll never forget practicing on Thanksgiving Day. I think that's a goal for any coach.

Coach Rucks is absolutely right.  I've been fortunate enough to have 2 practices on Thanksgiving Day in my life, one as a player and one as a coach (both at the high school level). It is by far the most special practice to be able to participate in.  I think about it all the time, mostly at the start of the season and at the start of the playoffs as a goal.

Glad to hear from his own mouth that he's feeling healthy.  I'm sure he'll be fantastic in his new role!

Completely agree!  I've shared the same fortune of practicing on Thanksgiving Day twice (High school coach) and it's a proud moment for all involved.  I can't imagine what that feeling would have been like as a player.  Be thankful for the opportunities you get along the road!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Mugsy

Quote from: CardinalAlum on November 21, 2012, 10:48:41 AM
Quote from: New Tradition on November 21, 2012, 09:26:23 AM

Completely agree!  I've shared the same fortune of practicing on Thanksgiving Day twice (High school coach) and it's a proud moment for all involved.  I can't imagine what that feeling would have been like as a player.  Be thankful for the opportunities you get along the road!

I experienced practicing on Thanksgiving Day twice in high school as a player.   Really cool experience.

Now I have to settle for snapping my hamstrings, twisting ankles, dislocating fingers, etc... during Turkey Day pick-up, flag football games (that quickly digress into full out tackle).  As I'm packing myself in ice and downing Ibuprofin, it just doesn't measure up.   :o

For the players and coaches that have the opportunity to do so, enjoy every minute of the playoffs.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

emma17

Thanksgiving day football for me was Father and Son games.  Damn I miss that stuff.
Now my exercise is the Turkey Trot (trot seems a bit fast too).

79jaybird

My HS coach at Prospect was J. Nudera.  While the school would be off for the Jewish September holidays, we would be practicing and his reasoning was just that... you want to be playing and practicing deep into the regular/post season.  Don't know if I will have access to email this week so I will say it now.

Good luck to both CCIW teams this weekend and safe holiday travels to all. 
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

DBQ1965

Quote from: emma17 on November 21, 2012, 12:09:47 PM
Thanksgiving day football for me was Father and Son games.  Damn I miss that stuff.

My Turkey Trot will be in Grand Rapids, MI. ... where will yours be?
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

NCF

Happy Thanksgiving to all CCIW posters (and guests ;D)! Good luck to the Cardinals and Blue Jays in round 2!!
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

D O.C.

Thanksgiving Day...be Thankful every day and it's no big deal.
Pay attention to your family and friends every day and every day is Thanksgiving.
I've had jobs where I had to work Thanksgiving and I've played golf on Thanksgiving because the course was open. (That's how I met Ernie Banks one time)
Safe travels everyone!

irisheagle

Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 21, 2012, 01:07:11 PM

Ill be in grand rapids as well, forest hills area where im from. Good luck jays and cards.

emma17

Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 21, 2012, 01:07:11 PM

Sounds nice - that's a pretty area. Not an organized run for me- just a trip through my local forest preserve.

AndOne

Daily Herald article on North Central and Elmhurst 1st round wins and 2nd round games:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20121120/sports/711209594/

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: USee on November 21, 2012, 01:10:45 AM
Quote from: Stagg or Bust on November 20, 2012, 07:22:19 PM
Quote from: Bluenote on November 20, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
My oh my....just checked out NCC Roster....what are you guys feeding those tackles? 6'6" and 298 lbs! Must be on a Giant Bubba Tator Diet!  :o
You asked for the (BBQ) beef -- you just didn't know how you were going to get it.  It will be great to see the OL back at full strength this weekend.  NCC's only two losses occurred when they had key members of their OL out and had to rely heavily on underclassmen for big minutes.

Stagg, I can only speak for the second loss but what does underclass men offensive linemen have to do with the 480 yds and 35 pts Wheaton put on your defense in that game?

Good question USee.  Three points.  First, my comment takes nothing away from the effort of the Crusaders.  There were some great performances on the other side of the ball on 11/3.  IMO, Jordan Roberts should have been named the OPOY in the CCIW.  He had a phenomenal year, and, but for Scottie Williams, I do believe that he would have won the award.  Clearly, Morgan Cook also had a great game against the Cards.  Second, I wanted to be clear that I believe that the Crusaders offense "only" scored 28 on NCC's defense.  There was one fumble recovery returned for a TD.  Third, teams are only as good as their weakest link.  NCC has had phenomenal production from some of its skill position players, but team perfomance has been negatively impacted at times by missed blocking assignments and uneven exchanges between the C and QB when lesser experienced linemen have shouldered the load with minutes.  The two games NCC has lost, they have had 34% of their total fumbles for the season (and 43% of their fumbles lost -- including two returned for TDs).  Better execution on the OL results in:  1) fewer turnovers, 2) greater TOP, 3) more points for NCC, and 4) less TOP and fewer points for its opponents (I've done that analysis, and there is a clear correlation).  Had virtually all of NCC's OL not been in sick bay during the UWL game, I find it very difficult to believe that they would have lost to a team with only 206 yards of total offense for the game (IMO).  Bottom line is that while I really like the rotation that the Cardinals have been building on the OL, the team just performs better when their starters are on the field (at the risk of sounding obvious).

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: newcardfan on November 21, 2012, 01:12:53 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all CCIW posters (and guests ;D)! Good luck to the Cardinals and Blue Jays in round 2!!
I, too, wanted to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to all of the CCIW and other posters on this board (including Pat and the other men of D3).  I am certainly thankful for the time that I spend reading and posting the sometimes serious and sometimes silly thoughts on the board.  It is certainly great entertainment!  Here's to a great game on Saturday for the Cards and Jays.  Safe travels to all.

Great article on D3 today about the men in Red and men in Blue:
http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2012/cciw-duo-wins-in-the-air-on-ground