Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

There is a requirement that you have one sport in each season -- Mass Maritime has a waiver because of the nature of the institution.

"20.11.3 Sports Sponsorship. A member institution shall sponsor in Division III a minimum number of sports based on institutional enrollment. At least one sport involving an all-male team or a mixed team and at least one sport involving an all-female team shall be conducted in every sport season. All sports used to meet the minimum sports sponsorship requirements must meet the minimum contest and participant requirements per Bylaw 20.11.3.8. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/01, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/10, 5/4/06)"
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 11, 2018, 04:04:37 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 10, 2018, 09:58:16 PM
Mississippi University for Women is resuming intercollegiate athletics with 5 men's and 5 women's sports (but no Winter Sports for either men or women).  They were D-2 (women only) when they discontinued intercollegiate athletics 15 years ago.  The Mission/Vision Statement say that they are D-3.

http://www.owlsathletics.com/information/mission_vision

The baseball schedule is a mixture of D-3, NAIA and others.

I was under the impression they were making their way into D3 and possibly changing their name. I don't remember where that was last posted, but it was discussed in the last year.

As for sports, I believe you have to have a minimum, but last I checked, I don't think there is a season requirement. Case in point, Mass Maritime has NO winter season sports.
I don't know about changing their name but they were listed as exploratory for 2017-18
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 11, 2018, 04:04:37 PMI was under the impression they were making their way into D3 and possibly changing their name. I don't remember where that was last posted, but it was discussed in the last year.

The attempt to change MUW's name to Reneau University came almost a decade ago, at the instigation of the school's former president. It failed to pass in the state senate.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 11, 2018, 05:22:37 PM
Mississippi University for Women is resuming intercollegiate athletics with 5 men's and 5 women's sports (but no Winter Sports for either men or women).  They were D-2 (women only) when they discontinued intercollegiate athletics 15 years ago.  The Mission/Vision Statement say that they are D-3.

I was under the impression they were making their way into D3 and possibly changing their name. I don't remember where that was last posted, but it was discussed in the last year.

As for sports, I believe you have to have a minimum, but last I checked, I don't think there is a season requirement. Case in point, Mass Maritime has NO winter season sports.
I don't know about changing their name but they were listed as exploratory for 2017-18
+1 for recalling that.

As for where to land in a conference, Columbus MS is in the middle of D3 nowhere.

Plus, they are a State School!  It is not like they have Sul Ross State's heritage of playing other private D3 schools for decades and of being a charter member of the ASC in 1996 and its predecessor, Texas Intercollegiate AA in 1976.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 11, 2018, 04:28:44 PM
There is a requirement that you have one sport in each season -- Mass Maritime has a waiver because of the nature of the institution.

"20.11.3 Sports Sponsorship. A member institution shall sponsor in Division III a minimum number of sports based on institutional enrollment. At least one sport involving an all-male team or a mixed team and at least one sport involving an all-female team shall be conducted in every sport season. All sports used to meet the minimum sports sponsorship requirements must meet the minimum contest and participant requirements per Bylaw 20.11.3.8. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/01, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/10, 5/4/06)"

Thanks, Pat... I didn't have the time to double-check that and wasn't sure. Mentally noted from now on. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 11, 2018, 06:05:30 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 11, 2018, 05:22:37 PM

+1 for recalling that.

As for where to land in a conference, Columbus MS is in the middle of D3 nowhere.

Plus, they are a State School!  It is not like they have Sul Ross State's heritage of playing other private D3 schools for decades and of being a charter member of the ASC in 1996 and its predecessor, Texas Intercollegiate AA in 1976.

Yep. MUW, or whatever the school ends up calling itself, looks like a prime candidate for the ACAA.

I sure hope that the Owls have better luck scheduling D3-sufficient schedules than their fellow Mississippi independent Rust used to have before it gave up and moved over to the NAIA last year.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 11, 2018, 11:16:45 PM

Yep. MUW, or whatever the school ends up calling itself, looks like a prime candidate for the ACAA.

I sure hope that the Owls have better luck scheduling D3-sufficient schedules than their fellow Mississippi independent Rust used to have before it gave up and moved over to the NAIA last year.
They are literally right in the middle of the Gulf South Conference!  Why not go D-2, unless there is so much resistance from the alumnae? They have only been co-ed for 30 years.

http://gscsports.org/sports/2015/8/6/GEN_0806150127.aspx

Hawks88

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 12, 2018, 12:00:51 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 11, 2018, 11:16:45 PM

They are literally right in the middle of the Gulf South Conference!  Why not go D-2, unless there is so much resistance from the alumnae? They have only been co-ed for 30 years.

http://gscsports.org/sports/2015/8/6/GEN_0806150127.aspx
The Gulf South Conference is where they were when they previously had athletics.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am still waiting to hear of the NCAA is going to still allow the ACAA to keep it's current format ... or if they will force them to compete in season ... or give them a grandfather clause and adjust moving forward. The ACAA's formation has caused DIII to review how conferences are formed and what they do to earn an AQ.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 12, 2018, 03:38:16 PM
I am still waiting to hear of the NCAA is going to still allow the ACAA to keep it's current format ... or if they will force them to compete in season ... or give them a grandfather clause and adjust moving forward. The ACAA's formation has caused DIII to review how conferences are formed and what they do to earn an AQ.

I wonder if the NAC is going to try and expand and go divisional once some of these NY schools come into full membership.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Bmo

The University of St Thomas in Houston is joining D3 and the SCAC. 

http://www.ustcelts.com/article/934.php

Gregory Sager

Well done, SCAC! For a league that was on death's doorstep a few years ago when most of the membership broke off and started its own league, the SCAC has rebounded nicely and is now going to be up to ten members.

This will tick off the followers of the Minnesota all-sports powerhouse who will now have to put up with d3sports.com, and us non-MIAC d3boards.com types, who will now start referring to the Tommies as St. Thomas (MN).  ;)

It's always good to see D3 expand in regions where it is underrepresented. This is not only good for the SCAC, it'll also be good for the ASC, since there will now be one more not-a-million-miles-away (unless you're hapless Sul Ross State) D3 school that ASC programs can schedule for non-conference play.

(I know what you're thinking, Ralph ... Abilene and Houston are six hours' driving distance apart. Well, everything's relative. :D)

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 14, 2018, 05:01:16 PM
Well done, SCAC! For a league that was on death's doorstep a few years ago when most of the membership broke off and started its own league, the SCAC has rebounded nicely and is now going to be up to ten members.

This will tick off the followers of the Minnesota all-sports powerhouse who will now have to put up with d3sports.com, and us non-MIAC d3boards.com types, who will now start referring to the Tommies as St. Thomas (MN).  ;)

It's always good to see D3 expand in regions where it is underrepresented. This is not only good for the SCAC, it'll also be good for the ASC, since there will now be one more not-a-million-miles-away (unless you're hapless Sul Ross State) D3 school that ASC programs can schedule for non-conference play.

(I know what you're thinking, Ralph ... Abilene and Houston are six hours' driving distance apart. Well, everything's relative. :D)

Gregory: beware, lest you call down upon your head the wrath of the mighty purple Thomists who rule the Twin Cities.   :)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 14, 2018, 05:01:16 PM

Houston is at least 3-4 hours away from everywhere, in moderate traffic (which is a semi-annual occurrence!  :o  ) Four hours from Centenary, LeTU, and ETBU, UDallas...

The SCAC makes more sense for the University of St Thomas Celts than the NAIA Red River AC.

It does make sense for UST TX  to be a travel partner for Centenary tho'. Maybe the infrastructure bill will hasten the completion of IH-69 from Houston to Shreveport.   ;)

They offer:

Men:  XC, Soccer, Hoops and Golf
Women: VB, XC, Soccer, Hoops and Golf.

The logical addition is Tennis for a 5th sport. I am not sure if there is a natatorium nearby. That campus is in the middle of very upscale west Houston.

Gregory Sager

St. Thomas (TX) is adding men's tennis, women's tennis, and baseball to get up to the requisite twelve athletic programs necessary for D3 membership.

Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 14, 2018, 05:21:59 PM
Gregory: beware, lest you call down upon your head the wrath of the mighty purple Thomists who rule the Twin Cities.   :)

Anything I could say would be naught but a momentary distraction for Tommies fans in their eternal war of words with Johnnies fans.