FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

washdupcard

Quote from: USee on September 19, 2017, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: ChicagoHopeNut on September 19, 2017, 02:19:30 PM
Quote from: USee on September 19, 2017, 12:01:52 PM
Suffice to say my analogy wasn't meant to speculate as much as it was meant to give perspective, and that we should not simply believe a story, that was leaked to the press by the accuser's attorney, is accurate.

The story came to light after arrest warrants were issued for the five players. The accuser's attorney did not leak anything. He made a statement on the record after the charges were made public.

The accused will get a chance to defend themselves and they may be found not guilty of the specific charges brought against them as well but that doesn't mean Wheaton College looks good or did the right thing in any of this. Wheaton did its own investigation and concluded something inappropriate occurred. In light of the charges, it is more than fair to ask a lot of question of Wheaton, including why are these students still on the football team and would Wheaton have treated non-football players differently.

I stand by my statement.

Terry Ekl is one of the most well respected attorneys in the Chicago area. He is not the type to give inflammatory quotes or to pass along suspect information. Moreover, the victim's statements referenced in the article didn't come from Mr. Ekl, they were the statements made to investigators by the victim immediately after the events occurred. Mr. Ekl would not have access to them, more likely a copy of the police report was leaked to the Tribune by a prosecutor or a member of the police department.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything
that's even remotely true!"   Homer Simpson.

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 19, 2017, 02:28:56 PM
Further research shows that none of the five accused players participated in Wheaton's opening game of the 2016 season, a 26-7 win over Benedictine:

http://wheaton_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/football/fb_archivedstats/2016/whe1.htm

... or, at the very least, none of them appeared in the participation report at the bottom of the box score. Since the game took place at McCully Stadium, and since Wheaton SID Brett Marhanka is as thorough as any SID I know, I'm pretty certain that none of the five players got on the field that day. From Game Two onward, all three of the healthy players (Pettway, Kregel, and Spielman) resumed their roles in the Wheaton starting lineup.

Given that, one can make a reasonable guess that the three of them served a one-game suspension to begin the 2016 season (although we can't say that for certain, as it's possible that they were held out due to injury, just like TeBos and Cooksey). Since Wheaton isn't talking with regard to the "corrective actions", we don't have this on the record. All we can do is guess, unless someone with insider info can prove it one way or the other.

Nice detective work, Greg.  I do think discussion on this board has been fair and directed at the Institution/coaches.   One game is something but to me inadequate given the one side of the account that we have.

emma17

I'm not sure if this has been addressed. Why has so much time elapsed between the actual event and the filing of charges? Has the police dept been searching for convictable evidence all this time?

Is it possible an agreement was reached last year and for some reason that agreement was broken?

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: izzy stradlin on September 19, 2017, 03:33:19 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 19, 2017, 02:28:56 PM
Further research shows that none of the five accused players participated in Wheaton's opening game of the 2016 season, a 26-7 win over Benedictine:

http://wheaton_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/football/fb_archivedstats/2016/whe1.htm

... or, at the very least, none of them appeared in the participation report at the bottom of the box score. Since the game took place at McCully Stadium, and since Wheaton SID Brett Marhanka is as thorough as any SID I know, I'm pretty certain that none of the five players got on the field that day. From Game Two onward, all three of the healthy players (Pettway, Kregel, and Spielman) resumed their roles in the Wheaton starting lineup.

Given that, one can make a reasonable guess that the three of them served a one-game suspension to begin the 2016 season (although we can't say that for certain, as it's possible that they were held out due to injury, just like TeBos and Cooksey). Since Wheaton isn't talking with regard to the "corrective actions", we don't have this on the record. All we can do is guess, unless someone with insider info can prove it one way or the other.

Nice detective work, Greg.  I do think discussion on this board has been fair and directed at the Institution/coaches.   One game is something but to me inadequate given the one side of the account that we have.

I'd agree that a 1 game suspension, if that is what happened, is not sufficient for the alleged crimes. Even if there was never any criminal charge, is 1 game a sufficient punishment for events that Wheaton College describes as: "entirely unacceptable and inconsistent with the values we share as human beings and as members of an academic community that espouses to live according to our Community Covenant"? I would say "No." In addition, a school like Wheaton has to be aware of the additional scrutiny and cries of hypocrisy it will face based on its history and faith background.

I understand there are student privacy laws that prohibit institutions from sharing certain information but there are regular announcements from D1 institutions about the suspensions they hand out to football players (e.g., University of Florida this year). Does anyone know if there is anything that would prevent Wheaton from stating it did suspend these players for one game even if it can't release other "punishments"? If so, any idea why D1 schools can make those announcements?
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

AndOne

I don't believe a school would face any penalties for simply releasing a statement along the lines that
"So and so were suspended for one game for a violation of team (or school) rules."

AndOne

Quote from: emma17 on September 19, 2017, 03:43:13 PM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed. Why has so much time elapsed between the actual event and the filing of charges? Has the police dept been searching for convictable evidence all this time?

Is it possible an agreement was reached last year and for some reason that agreement was broken?

As was somewhat delineated previously, in a county with the case load as high as DuPage, it can take this amount of time to interview all witnesses, complete reports, have the reports reviewed and a decision made as to what charges will be filed. In this case the accused students, the victim, other students in the dorm at the time of the alleged incident, other football players, possibly coaches, probably copis of Wheaton's internal investigation, and hospital personal all needed to be contacted/interviewed/obtained. Hospital records also needed to be obtained and the hospital may have required police to obtain a subpoena before they would release any of their medical reports. Lastly, the States Attorney is going to take his time and be sure he feels he has a pretty strong case before making a final decision to proceed with filing the complaint/charges. All this takes time.

Also, as far as your question about an agreement possibly being broken, this wouldn't happen.
The States Attorney would never make a deal accepting a one football game suspension in place of possible criminal charges, felonies at that, being brought. And, on the minuscule chance that a Plea Agreement was made, my understanding is that it would be illegal to rescind that Agreement unless new evidence was uncovered. Lastly, any in house "agreement" between Wheaton College and the players would not be binding upon the States Attorney office and their possible filing of criminal charges as has now been done.

wildcat11

Here's hoping that the justice system will find the truth of the matter and exonerates or convicts based on the facts that are discovered.

robertgoulet

I didn't realize we had so many attorneys on here. I need to watch what I say from now on  :-X :P
You win! You always do!

izzy stradlin

I just heard the other side to this story (there is a lot more to this) and as a Wheaton alum it made me feel somewhat better.   What's reported currently is obviously one account. 

Again, I would agree with others if what is reported actually happened, these guys should not being playing for Wheaton, period.

AndOne

Quote from: izzy stradlin on September 19, 2017, 04:52:21 PM
I just heard the other side to this story (there is a lot more to this) and as a Wheaton alum it made me feel somewhat better.   What's reported currently is obviously one account. 

Again, I would agree with others if what is reported actually happened, these guys should not being playing for Wheaton, period.

Thank you Izzy.
Yet when one poster raised this question (without proclaiming the accused were guilty of anything), he was slammed.  ::)

wm4

Quote from: AndOne on September 19, 2017, 05:02:24 PM

Thank you Izzy.
Yet when one poster raised this question (without proclaiming the accused were guilty of anything), he was slammed.  ::)

How so, and where?

washdupcard

Whats the gist of the "other side" of the story?  The allegations are pretty detailed and heinous..unless the other side is none of this happened, there's quite a lot that would need to be contradicted (i.e. duct taped, hauled away, beaten, attempted insertion of an object into the victim's rectum, left injured and half naked to fend for himself).
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything
that's even remotely true!"   Homer Simpson.

ChicagoHopeNut

Quote from: washdupcard on September 19, 2017, 05:27:25 PM

Whats the gist of the "other side" of the story?  The allegations are pretty detailed and heinous..unless the other side is none of this happened, there's quite a lot that would need to be contradicted (i.e. duct taped, hauled away, beaten, attempted insertion of an object into the victim's rectum, left injured and half naked to fend for himself).

Agreed.

Wheaton's statement described the events as: "entirely unacceptable and inconsistent with the values we share as human beings and as members of an academic community that espouses to live according to our Community Covenant". Regardless of any other side of the story that is the sort of description that warrants a firmer response than community service, an essay and a maybe a 1-game suspension.

The phrase "inconsistent with the values we share as human beings" is strong. It's not something you say when a college kid drinks underage or steals an iPad.
Tribes of primitve hunters, with rhinestone codpieces rampant, should build pyramids of Chevy engines covered in butterscotch syrup to exalt the diastolic, ineffable, scintillated and cacophonous salamander of truth which slimes and distracts from each and every orifice of your holy refrigerator.

AndOne

Robertgoulet previously posted that he didn't realize there were so many attorneys on here.
Keep in mind that whatever statement Wheaton has made so far, sufficient or not, was most likely done on the advice of their attorney.  :)