WBB: GNAC Women's Hoops

Started by Poppadoc, February 14, 2005, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

Yesterday was the 31st meeting all time between Suffolk and Emmanuel.

Before last night, Suffolk had only beaten Emmanuel one time-- that was a 66-55 win for the Rams at Regan Gym on Suffolk's campus on Feb. 9, 2008-- a GNAC regular season contest.

Suffolk never won on the Emmanuel campus until last night, when the Rams rode their starters to the win.  3 of 5 Suffolk's starters are underclassmen, and 4 of the 5 Suffolk starters played 35 min plus last night.  All of the starters for Suffolk came up with big games.

I was impressed with the double-double of Suffolk senior Georgia Bourikas, who had a 21 pt, 14 rebound game-- 9 of those 14 rebounds came on the offensive glass.

Also, Suffolk rookie point guard Jenni-Rose Dicecco proved with her 14 pt, 4 rebound game why she is going to be GNAC Rookie of the Year.  The GNAC has awarded her the Rookie of the Week honors several times this season.

Suffolk used 9 players in the win, with none of the bench players playing 10 min plus.

Suffolk out rebounded Emmanuel by 11, and shot 95% (19-20) from the FT line.

Overall, I felt that Suffolk showed more poise than Emmanuel last night and deserved the win.  I was a little disappointed in Emmanuel's Yuleska Ramirez- Tejeda's reaction to a foul call from one of the officials in the first half.  She reacted by slamming the ball down on the court-- thereby also earning a technical foul.  Suffolk hit all 4 of their FT attempts on that play.  As a result, Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda will be joining the Emmanuel softball team as a utility player 1 game earlier than she would have liked.  She played shortstop in high school.

One of the reasons that Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda transferred to Emmanuel was to be a 2 sport athlete in college-- she was not going to be able to do that at a low major d1 school.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The holidays are over and for many Division III basketball teams, the conference schedules are already in full swing. It doesn't take much time before a casual break ramps up into high-pressure games.

Hoopsville is also back from it's holiday "break" on Sunday evening. Dave tries to get caught up after a couple of weeks of action and wild results. Who impressed during the holidays? Who (re)started conference play with a bang? What does the final two months of the regular season have in store? What will the new year's first Top 25 ballots look like?

Plus, there is a new wins leader in Division III women's basketball. It's not Mike Strong. It's Andy Yosinoff of Emmanuel. We chat with the all-time winningest coach in DIII history.

Sunday's episode of Hoopsville has guests primarily from the Atlantic, Central Northeast, and South Regions, but we try and talk about anything news worthy.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's edition hits the air LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. Just click here: http://bit.ly/2SDjtqh

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Andy Yosinoff, Emmanuel women's coach
- Greg Mason, Centre men's coach
- Greg Giovanine, No. 3 Augustana men's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com columnist

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The new NCAA Division III women's basketball regional rankings are posted: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/women-regional-rankings-third

deiscanton

Just saw a rare thing in basketball.  Emmanuel's  Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda scored the equivalent of an own goal in soccer with 1:03 to go in the first half of the GNAC title game.😯  She was going for a defensive board but put the ball in her own hoop, and scored 2 pts for the Monks.

St Joe's Maine up 34-31 at the half.

deiscanton

Emmanuel was up 47-42 with 1:10 left in the 3rd quarter, but the Monks hit 2 straight 3 pointers to end the third.  The Monks open up the 4th quarter with a third straight 3 pointer.  Monks up 51-49 with 8:36 left in regulation.  Monks have a huge advantage with their 3 point shooting.

deiscanton

Setting up for an excellent final 5 minutes.  Emmanuel up 56-54 with 5:29 remaining.

Congrats to Emmanuel on winning the GNAC!  Great defensive stop at the end for the 65-64 victory!

deiscanton

I have been encouraged by the placement of both Emmanuel and St Joe's Maine in their respective brackets.  Both teams have first and second round games that both the Saints and Monks can win and get to the sweet 16.  The other 2 top two teams in the GNAC (Albertus Magnus and Suffolk) are unsung teams, but play basketball at a very high d3 level.  This should be a very interesting weekend.

deiscanton

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a GNAC race.

Regis just handed Emmanuel their first GNAC loss of the season, 55-52.

The #2 pick, Albertus Magnus, dropped a GNAC game to Suffolk about a week ago.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

deiscanton

Dave McHugh accidentally reported on Hoopsville last night that the GNAC Women's Tournament was postponed along with the GNAC Men's Tournament due to the fatal accident on I-84 Westbound in the Quiet Corner of Connecticut.  No teams from Connecticut were involved in the GNAC Women's semifinals, which were played last night with Emmanuel defeating Suffolk by 1 point in their final game as conference opponents, and the St.Joe's Monks of Maine winning over Regis up in Standish, Maine. 

Emmanuel plays St. Joe's of Maine for the women's AQ on Saturday, Feb. 29 at 1 PM Eastern.  The GNAC Men's AQ will be decided on Sunday, March 1.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on February 28, 2020, 08:11:18 AM
Dave McHugh accidentally reported on Hoopsville last night that the GNAC Women's Tournament was postponed along with the GNAC Men's Tournament due to the fatal accident on I-84 Westbound in the Quiet Corner of Connecticut.  No teams from Connecticut were involved in the GNAC Women's semifinals, which were played last night with Emmanuel defeating Suffolk by 1 point in their final game as conference opponents, and the St.Joe's Monks of Maine winning over Regis up in Standish, Maine. 

Emmanuel plays St. Joe's of Maine for the women's AQ on Saturday, Feb. 29 at 1 PM Eastern.  The GNAC Men's AQ will be decided on Sunday, March 1.

I didn't accidentally report anything. I said at one point I thought the GNAC women had been affected by the I-84 accident, BUT I wasn't sure where I saw that and I needed to check it again.

Later in the show it dawned on me it was the LEC women that were affected along with the GNAC men semifinals and made that plain as I could. Talking about what games specifically had been changed and what championship games were moved. I even pointed out that I thought I read something about the GNAC women, but clearly I was confused with a very fluid situation between GNAC men (two games) and the game in the LEC. But I NEVER reported anything as fact until it was fact. I most certainly indicated what I was absolutely sure of and what I wasn't sure of.

I never said something absolutely happened unless I had it directly in front of me. Please don't mis-characterize what I say.

deiscanton

Thanks for the clarification. I retract my first sentence in Reply #342.