MBB: Colonial States Athletic Conference

Started by Coach C, April 08, 2005, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

CSAC Tournament set. Playoffs begin Monday night.

#1 Cabrini (16-2, 22-3) bye
#2 Gwynedd Mercy (15-3, 20-5) bye

Quarterfinals Monday February 19, 2018

#6 Keystone (9-9, 11-14) @
#3 Neumann (13-5, 18-7) 8pm

#5 Marywood (10-8, 15-10) @
#4 Rosemont (11-7, 16-9) 7 pm

Semifinals Wednesday February 21, 2018

TBD @ #1 Cabrini 8pm
TBD @ #2 Gwynedd Mercy 8pm

Finals Saturday February 24, 2018

@ Highest remaining seed.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

mailsy

End of the year awards were announced by the CSAC. Coach Tim McDonald from Cabrini picks up his first COY award. Tyheim Monroe from Cabrini earns POY(and 1st team awards). That's back to back. Fourth Cavalier to do it.  Cavs have earned last 8 of 9 awards. Neumann's Aaron Johnson-Chavis got DPOY and ROY.

http://csacsports.com/news/2018/2/18/csac-announces-2017-18-mens-basketball-end-of-season-awards.aspx?path=

Also want to congratulate other Cavs. Deryl Bagwell 2nd team. Keith Blassingale HM and Mike Doyle for the Sportsmanship Award(3rd year in a row he's earned that award).

mailsy

CSAC Tournament. Playoffs begin Monday night.

#6 Keystone (9-9, 11-14) 65
#3 Neumann (13-5, 19-7) 78

#5 Marywood (10-8, 15-11) 58 @
#4 Rosemont (11-7, 17-9) 97

#4 Rosemont (11-7, 17-9) @
#1 Cabrini (16-2, 22-3) 8pm

#3 Neumann (13-5, 19-7) @
#2 Gwynedd Mercy (15-3, 20-5) 8pm

@ Highest remaining seed.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mailsy

CSAC Tournament. Playoffs begin Monday night.

#6 Keystone (9-9, 11-14) 65
#3 Neumann (13-5, 19-7) 78

#5 Marywood (10-8, 15-11) 58 @
#4 Rosemont (11-7, 17-9) 97

#4 Rosemont (11-7, 17-10) 72 @
#1 Cabrini (16-2, 23-3) 91

#3 Neumann (13-5, 20-7) 102 @
#2 Gwynedd Mercy (15-3, 20-6) 85

#3 Neumann (13-5, 20-7) @
#1 Cabrini (16-2, 23-3) @ 7 pm

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Just for updates: after tonight Tyheim Monroe is sitting at 1973 points and 1446 rebounds.  As far as I can tell 1450 would put him 6th all-time.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

mailsy

It will be a crazy day on campus at Cabrini tomorrow. It will be an all day affair for the athletic office and staff. Lacrosse plays #15 Lynchburg at 1 and then the Lady Cavs take on Neumann at 4 then the Cavs take on Neumann @ 7 for the CSAC championships. BTW Brad, the AD, and his staff do a wonderful job keeping it well organized.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 21, 2018, 10:58:16 PM

Just for updates: after tonight Tyheim Monroe is sitting at 1973 points and 1446 rebounds.  As far as I can tell 1450 would put him 6th all-time.

The backstory shows you just how badly coaches can make recruiting blunders and oversights. Tyheim is at least a D2, if not a Patriot League D1 type of player.

Back in the mid-1980's, Norristown (a Philly suburb) had a 6'4", back to the basket CENTER by the name of Daren Queenan. He was an out-of-position whiz. The only school to offer him a full scholarship was Lehigh University. He had a plethora of D2 and D3 options. Lehigh worked with him and turned him into a shooting guard/small forward. He became only one of eight players in D1 history to record over 2700 points and over 1000 rebounds........at 6'4".........at the D1 level. Insane! He played overseas for a dozen years or so and is using his Lehigh education and pro contacts as a CFP.

I've seen Tyheim. I can't speak for his accomplishments in the classroom and if he had the chops to succeed in a Patriot League setting.........but he's taller and much stronger than Queenan.......and some higher level coaches blew it big time by overlooking him coming out of high school, or as a transfer.

I hope that he has overseas success if he gets the opportunity. Great player!

mailsy

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 23, 2018, 05:16:34 PM

The backstory shows you just how badly coaches can make recruiting blunders and oversights. Tyheim is at least a D2, if not a Patriot League D1 type of player.

Back in the mid-1980's, Norristown (a Philly suburb) had a 6'4", back to the basket CENTER by the name of Daren Queenan. He was an out-of-position whiz. The only school to offer him a full scholarship was Lehigh University. He had a plethora of D2 and D3 options. Lehigh worked with him and turned him into a shooting guard/small forward. He became only one of eight players in D1 history to record over 2700 points and over 1000 rebounds........at 6'4".........at the D1 level. Insane! He played overseas for a dozen years or so and is using his Lehigh education and pro contacts as a CFP.

I've seen Tyheim. I can't speak for his accomplishments in the classroom and if he had the chops to succeed in a Patriot League setting.........but he's taller and much stronger than Queenan.......and some higher level coaches blew it big time by overlooking him coming out of high school, or as a transfer.

Maybe you don't know this but he was 6'2/3" as a senior. Cabrini was looking at him as a guard. Grew several inches before and while at Cabrini. Probably why he was overlooked.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Sometimes it isn't a mistake by anyone... it is a choice by the student.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: mailsy on February 23, 2018, 06:41:11 PM

Maybe you don't know this but he was 6'2/3" as a senior. Cabrini was looking at him as a guard. Grew several inches before and while at Cabrini. Probably why he was overlooked.

That's really the craziest part of this.  Guy comes in as a guard, team finds itself undersized, all of a sudden he's a top five all-time rebounder.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

mailsy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 23, 2018, 10:29:50 PM
Sometimes it isn't a mistake by anyone... it is a choice by the student.

I don't believe many schools were looking at him. The staff did a great job of selling Cabrini to him. He's great kid. He's an incredibly hard worker, has become a leader and he's a pleasure to be around. He's great example for many.

Plus I like the fact I've gotten to watch him play FOR Cabrini and not have him play AGAINST us the last 4 years.  ;D

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: mailsy on February 23, 2018, 06:41:11 PM

That's kind of my point mailsy. Daren Queenan was 6'4" (the same way that Drew Brees is listed a 6'0".........and he's 5'10") and a center as his Norristown team was tiny. They thought that he had the saavy to make the transition to a shooting guard/small forward...............just as Cabrini recruited Tyheim as a guard. I've heard more than one coach say that they blew it on him, especially the PSAC schools that could have (some of them) given him a full ride or close to it. West Chester had their eyes on him as did Kutztown but never made the offer.

6'5" with guard skills, like Queenan, he'll have a long career overseas if he wants it.

mailsy

Congratulations to the CSAC Champion Cabrini Cavaliers. It's been a few years since I've been able to say that. The Dixon Center had a pretty decent turnout. Not quite the days of the AWM days, but a pretty good turnout. Maybe with hosting this weekend(maybe, but I think they deserve it) we'll see a much larger crowd. Congrats to Anthony Wright-Downing(AWD) for earning Tournament MVP. He had 32 pts (14 of 15 from the field). Cabrini finally got the rematch in the Final and beat Neumann. It's always sweeter when you beat them and they have the long ride home.

This is the last CSAC championship that the Cavs will, seeing as they are moving to a new conference next year. In the 26 years that Cabrini was in the PAC/CSAC they won 14 and were in the final 2 other times. Gwynedd won 5 and lost 3 Championships. While Neumann was 2 and 5. Immaculata was 1-1. These 3 will move on as well. Alvernia was the only other School to win it(4x) and they moved on to the MAC years ago. I see Rosemont winning it next year. They have the talent and the Big 3 aren't ahead them any further.

Other notes. This Cabrini team has probably been one of the most fun teams I have watched and been around and lastly. Tyheim Monroe should be an All-American - First team! If he isn't it would be a travesty.

GO CAVS!!!

mailsy

Game day!

Looking forward to the games tonight. If any pollsters are going to be at Cabrini tonight stop by and say hi. I'll be at both games. I sit opposite of the home bench, 3rd row. I'll be wearing Cabrini blue.

GO CAVS!!!