BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

The lights-are-coming-on comment is one of my standards.  ;) I used it yesterday during the Carthage @ North Park softball doubleheader as well.

There's an awful lot of time to fill during baseball and softball broadcasts. It's the exact opposite of volleyball, where there is never enough time to get everything in and my tongue hurts by the end of the match. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

IWU mercies Carroll, 19-4, in seven innings.  Game two should begin shortly.

Mr. Ypsi

WOW - How bad is Carroll? :o  After two innings of the second game, the Titans are up 15-3!

Mr. Ypsi

I can't recall - what is the minimum number of innings before the 'mercy' rule is invoked?  After three, it is 18-3 - this is starting to get downright sad.

Mr. Ypsi

Both teams had pretty much emptied their benches by the fourth or fifth.  Final was 19-6 in seven innings (answering my own earlier question, the 'mercy' rule is invoked once the team behind has batted in seven innings).  IWU has now gotten back to 6-6 in conference play - the tourney now seem less unlikely than a week ago.

BigPoppa

The CCIW is shaping up to be a great race for the 3-4 slots in the tourney. It appears that, barring a collapse, NCC and Carthage should be tourney locks. Other than Carroll, the rest seems to be in contention for the remaining two bids.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

Carthage   8-1   0.889   21-4   0.840   W4
North Central   8-1   0.889   13-7   0.650   W1
Augustana   5-4   0.556   17-7   0.708   W3
North Park   5-4   0.556   10-14   0.417   L3
Illinois Wesleyan   6-6   0.500   15-10   0.600   W4
Elmhurst   5-7   0.417   14-11   0.560   L4
Wheaton   4-6   0.400   13-12   0.520   L3
Millikin   4-8   0.333   14-12   0.538   W2
Carroll   2-10   0.167   13-12   0.520   L2

BigPoppa

Carthage 5
Wheaton 3

Redmen move to 9-1 in CCIW and 22-4 overall.
Carthage is making a nice run this season with a very young team. Bodes well for their future.

Mr. Ypsi

After mercying Carroll twice last weekend (19-4, 19-6), today's game was kinda scary: IWU needed a run in the bottom of the 8th to eke out a 5-4 win.  Ah, well, a win is a win!  IWU moves to 7-6 in conference play.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 17, 2018, 09:36:07 PM
After mercying Carroll twice last weekend (19-4, 19-6), today's game was kinda scary: IWU needed a run in the bottom of the 8th to eke out a 5-4 win.  Ah, well, a win is a win!  IWU moves to 7-6 in conference play.

I told you the Titans would get it together. Carthage still has to fave BOTH IWU and North Central... could be an interesting finish on the CCIW.

AndOne

North Central was a "winning ugly" 15-9 victor over Augie today.
The two teams combined 10 errors, 15 walks, and 21 (12 by Augie) runners left on base.
Both teams used 5 pitchers.
Augie got off to a quick start, scoring 3 times in the first inning. NCC matched that in the bottom of the initial frame. The Cardinals took a 9-6 lead into the top of the 8th, but Augie tied it, plating the tying run on an errant pickoff attempt. North Central then put it away with 6 runs in the bottom of the 8th, aided by 2 AC errors.

For NCC—Joe Rizzo, 4 for 5 with 3 RBI.  Mike Wisz, 3 for 5, 2 runs, and 2 RBI, *Michael Mateja, 3 for 6, 3 runs scored.
For Augie—Ryan Kairis, 4 for 6. John Moraski, 3 for 5 with 3 RBI.

NCC moves to 9-1 in conference, tied with Carthage for the top spot.

* Michael Mateja has now reached base in 64 straight games.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 17, 2018, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 17, 2018, 09:36:07 PM

I told you the Titans would get it together. Carthage still has to fave BOTH IWU and North Central... could be an interesting finish on the CCIW.

Obviously, I hope you are correct, but I'm not gonna count sweeping poor Carroll as necessarily "getting it together"!  The Titans last six conference games are 2 against #3 NPU and 1 against T#1 NCC (all in B'town), and 3 AT T#1 Carthage - if we win 4 or 5 of those, then we "got it together"! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

IWU wins their sixth in a row, but it was a struggle against a weak team: in ten innings, IWU 7, Millikin 6.  Titans are now in third place at 8-6. 

I forgot that their remaining games also include concluding the game that was suspended by darkness in Naperviille.  I'm guessing that the last 3 innings will end up being played in B'town when NCC visits on May 1, but I haven't found confirmation one way or the other.  The continuation is scheduled for May 1, and they surely would not have the teams travel almost 100 miles up the road to complete a couple of innings! :o  The game was suspended with NCC up 8-4 after six.  Since May 1 is a Tuesday, playing the final 3 innings in Naperville BEFORE the scheduled game in B'town would kill a whole day of classes for Titan players; and playing it AFTER the scheduled game would be impossible in Naperville for the same reason it was suspended in the first place.  I guess I've just convinced myself the completion of the game will be in B'town (unless the CCIW commissioner is psychotic :o).

BigPoppa

Redmen scores 3 in bottom of 9th to walk-off Carroll 6-5.

Sometimes a win is ugly, but it's still a win! Redmen move to 10-1 in CCIW and 23-4 overall. Huge series with North Central this weekend. Both are 10-1 and this should help determine seeding in conference tourney.

mwunder

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 19, 2018, 09:57:04 PM
Redmen scores 3 in bottom of 9th to walk-off Carroll 6-5.

Sometimes a win is ugly, but it's still a win! Redmen move to 10-1 in CCIW and 23-4 overall. Huge series with North Central this weekend. Both are 10-1 and this should help determine seeding in conference tourney.

Carthage almost crapped the bed here...hopefully this was a wake-up call to not take anyone lightly the rest of the way.