BB: Midwest Region

Started by BaseballFan, February 18, 2007, 10:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaseballFan

Is the midwest region the best in the nation?

With teams such as UW Whitewater, UW Stevens Point, St. Scholastica, St. Thomas, Ripon, St. Olaf, UW Oshkosh this may be one of the best regions if not the best. It seems like these teams are nationally ranked every year.

2005: Point, Whitewater,  Scholastica. Thomas all ranked in the top 20. Whitewater national champs
2006: Scholastica, Olaf, thomas, point,

2007: Point, Whitewater, St. Thomas, Olaf...other polls have ripon and scholastic ranked

BaseballFan

These three teams tangle tomorrow night in the Metrodome with each playing a game against each other. How do people see these games going?

For Point and Thomas its their first games of the year and Scholastica is already 2-0.  Sounds like the Pointers big ace is out for a couple weeks so that may change things a bit. I can definately see each team winning a game.

cubs

Quote from: BaseballFan on March 04, 2007, 11:28:16 PM
Sounds like the Pointers big ace is out for a couple weeks so that may change things a bit. I can definately see each team winning a game.
What's wrong with Zimmerman?  Haven't heard anything regarding injuries and so on, so anything you can shed on this would be appreciated.

The kid I am interested in seeing perform for Point is Tyler Techlin.  He was a STUD, who went to MATC, and now transferred to Point.  I am curious in seeing how well he does against some good competition.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Just Bill

The word is Zimmerman took a line drive to face in practice.  As serious as it was, it could have been tragic.  The Point staff expects him to be back during their Florida trip.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

cubs

Quote from: Just Bill on March 05, 2007, 11:32:44 AM
The word is Zimmerman took a line drive to face in practice.  As serious as it was, it could have been tragic.  The Point staff expects him to be back during their Florida trip.
I'll be curious to see how he reacts MENTALLY more than physically.  Sometimes guys become "gun-shy" after something like that.  Hopefully that won't be the case in this situation for a guy with a great baseball future.....

cubs

Point wins the first game, knocking off St. Thomas 4-3.

Just Bill

Point comes back from being down 5-0 after 2, and scores 7 in the third.  They hang on to beat St. Scholastica 7-6.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

badgerwarhawk

St Scholastica has been a load for Point the past couple of years beating them in the post season tournament.  They've got a pretty decent baseball program going up there.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

BaseballFan

Point 4 Thomas 3    Point 7 Scholastica 6   Thomas 5 Scholastica 3.
Three really good games and shows how good the Midwest region is, especially if you factor in Olaf, Whitewater, and Gustavus.

Yea Scholastica has a really good program and Point and Thomas's are very good too.

Stevens Point jumped out early with a couple runs and held on to win against St. Thomas.

Scholastica jumped out to a 5-0 lead after 2 then Point took advantage of some errors and scored 7 runs in the third.

Thomas scored three in the first and held on to win 5-3. Scholastica outhit Thomas 12-5 though. Thomas capitalized when they had runners. Side note Fuchihara for the Saints hit a monster homer to right center where the baggy starts that hit the press boxes. Probably at least 430 feet.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just Bill

St. Thomas defeated St. Scholastica 5-3 in the late, late game to complete the triangular.

Gustie13

Its too bad the MIAC already has a team in the conf that is a 3-4 hour drive from the cities (concordia) and that CSS's other sports programs aren't as strong as baseball, because I'd love to see CSS baseball in the MIAC. Mostly because I think they'd only finish 12-8.

AO

Since when is Duluth 4 hours from the cities?  It might be 4 hours from St. Peter maybe, but it's only 150 miles from the cities.   12-8 sounds like where Bethel usually ends up.  Seeing that Scholastica has taken care of Bethel 12-1 and 7-5 and taking into the success of the program in recent years, they probably deserve a little more credit.

And who knows, maybe Scholastica's football team is going to be a real force coming out of the gates. ...though I doubt it.

BaseballFan

Well Duluth is only like  two and half hours away so that is not a problem. And Scholastica is already 5-1 against the MIAC. Wins against Bethel (2) Carleton, and Concordia Moorehead (2). Only a 5-3 loss to St. thomas. They also have games left against Olaf, Thomas, and Gustavus. So they basically play a full MIAC schedule and would probably finish in top three if not win the conference.

I dont know the basics of the MIAC, but I think a team would have to leave in order to have that done. Also, the negative for joining the MIAC regarding sports is the rules regarding practice time in the fall.

Who knows maybe it will happen with the addition of football but I dont think it will.

Gustie13

I heard CSS inquired about joining the MIAC a little while ago (1 year? 3 years?) but was rebuffed.

I give CSS credit for playing MIAC teams, they always schedule games against USt and usually play some other teams as well. But Carleton and Concordia are going to be 2 of the 3 worst teams in the miac this year.

I have a lot of respect for the top end of the CSS rotation and some of the stud hitters they have in the lineup. I have no doubt that some players of theirs would vie for Player and Pitcher of the Year awards in the MIAC. The fact that Moriarty went up against Zimmerman and UWSP last year in the regional and won speaks volumes for how good he is (although he was 1-2 vs UST and StO that year).

I do, however, have a problem with the conference they play in. As i've said before, I know people that play for teams in the UMAC and I've played against the UMAC. When I was at Gustavus a few years ago we used to have an annual DH against Bethany Lutheran... we would play our JV against their varsity and usually win. So it really peeves me when Moriarty strikes out 12 people in a UMAC game and CSS has the lowest team ERA in DIII because they play unbelievably bad teams.

The reason I say CSS would probably finish 12-8 is because I have no faith in the back end of their rotation. 12-8 is a playoff team in the MIAC and certainly would not want to face them in a 4 team double elim tournament. But to say they would dominate the MIAC like they dominate the UMAC is ridiculous.