WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp0rtsfan

Congrats to the Lady Royals !  They continued their tradition as a class team; great sportsmanship to go along with their play. Glad I had the chance to see them in action a few times this season. My best wishes to the seniors as well..

saratoga

First off...congratulations to the Lady Royals for a pretty remarkable 2 years under Trevor & his staff.

Beyond that, congrats to Alexix, Sarah & Denise for a four year run that only a handful of teams nationwide can say they've topped.

And, all the best to Christopher Newport from the Middle Atlantic Region as they head to the Final Four.

Regarding this season though I'd just like to compare this years squad and where we finished vs. Christopher Newport.

From what I've been able to see, this CN team has essentially the same personnel as the team that played Scranton last year in the Sweet 16.

The following players with their minutes & points vs. the Lady Royals last year:

Name                               Points                                     Minutes

Byrd                                 11                                          24
Porter                               13                                          19
Dufrene                              2                                          20
Fancher                              2                                          28
Thomas                              2                                          18
Tannor                               9                                          23
Wright                                1                                         11
Bonivel                               1                                         11
Howdyshell                         0                                           8
Daguilh                              4                                          12

There were a few other players but they played 3 minutes or less and scored 1 point or didn't score at all.

Yet somehow Scranton handled this CN team with relative ease...winning by 36 points, 82-46.

Fast forward to last nights Elite 8 game & these are the players, points & minutes:

Byrd                                 1                                           16
Porter                              10                                          32
Dufrene                            8                                           20
Fancher                            7                                           26
Thomas                           13                                          22
Tannor                             4                                           28
Wright                             8                                           20
Bonivel                           10                                          13
Howdyshell                      2                                            4

As you can see, although some players scored a more last night, some scored less than they did last season against Scranton.

They do have 1 freshman (Maloney) that added 13 points last night in 13 minutes of action.

So the question I'm asking is how did CN take last years team that lost by 36 & with very similar scoring & minutes played by essentially the same kids move their program to the Final Four & Scranton was derailed a little sooner & in a contest vs. Tufts that wasn't as competitive as last years game?

Was the loss of Noelle & Jackie even more costly than first thought?
Did the CN kids develop more than the Scranton kids over the course of the year?
Did the CN bench contribute more as the season went on?
Were the Royals too predictable?
Did the CN kids start playing a much tougher D? (I noticed they turned 19 turnovers into 28 points).
Scranton losing a serious year of recruiting between the interim coach & Trevor being hired?

Noelle & Jackie combined for 22 points & 10 rebounds between them in last years game.
Even if you took those points away, I still don't see Scranton winning this year vs. CN.

So with two teams still pretty much the same personnel wise, what do some of you see as the difference maker this year as to why one season is over and another one continues?

Pat Coleman

I'm not in a good position to talk about CNU's bench over the course of the season, but the bench was huge in the Elite Eight win vs. Ohio Northern.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

Saratoga,
  CNU's  season vs Scranton's:

Last year CNU was frosh and sophs; their PG had xferred to UVA; I perceived that they were intimidated playing the image of Scranton in Scranton as frosh/sophs. So, I say a big part of their success this year was the maturity and improvement in playing as sophs/juniors. It's even more impressive because they've been without a good post player, Jess DeGuilh, the last few weeks.
      The 2nd point is that CNU didn't have to play Tufts; if they had, I feel their season would be over, also.
      As for the Royals, I underestimated the contributions of Noelle and Jackie that were not supplanted by the newcomers. Additionally, the season-eliminating injury suffered by one of the newcomers(thought by me to be a starter and impact player) was another factor affecting the season.
   I don't think last season's recruiting was a significant factor because a good "group" showed up, anyways. The counter-factual is hard to evaluate; that is, were there any good players who went elsewhere, just because the coach was unknown til late August.
   The more significant recruiting year was the current junior class but that was a conscious coaching decision.

ronk

Dave,
  As I checked today for future recruiting competitors, I see that your alma mater, Goucher, has identified their next WBB head coach, Andrea Preston. Why do you think that Goucher didn't turn out to be a good fit for Patrick Daniel?
Resources? The team was competitive at times this year even if it wasn't reflected in their win total.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on April 18, 2017, 08:10:43 PM
Dave,
  As I checked today for future recruiting competitors, I see that your alma mater, Goucher, has identified their next WBB head coach, Andrea Preston. Why do you think that Goucher didn't turn out to be a good fit for Patrick Daniel?
Resources? The team was competitive at times this year even if it wasn't reflected in their win total.

For many reasons... I have nothing to say. Let's just leave it at that.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Checking in with a tidbit for the board... I am told from a very reliable source that Mackenzie Yori is transferring from Scranton to King's for next season. I am told the decision isn't necessarily basketball driven, but it might have a small role. I am also aware King's heavily recruited York when Donaghue was still head coach. Yori was fourth leading scorer and important off the bench for Scranton as a freshman last year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Yori was actually the starting pg for most of the year

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on May 23, 2017, 07:34:19 PM
Yori was actually the starting pg for most of the year

Not necessarily her position...

saratoga

Regarding the player transferring.....

The attempt was made in pre-season & early on to move her to the point & then allow Bridgett to move to the shooting guard which is her natural position.
Just didn't work out for a number of reasons.

After a few games Bridgett went back to the point & then this player just started having tough games.

Actually, I was surprised Trevor stayed with her as long as he did...just kept waiting for her to help out offensively & it never really happened pretty much from the Neumann game to the end of the year.

By the 3/4 mark of the season, although still starting, another freshman (Lily) was getting more minutes & playing in crunch time.

This loss will be more than compensated for with the addition of a DII Freshman of the Year transfer from Bloomsburg that will be ready

to step right in for the Lady Royals this season & will more than offset her 6ppg.and zero rebounding.

Had this transfer not injured her knee last summer, chances are that this player in question would have only seen sporadic playing time throughout the year so not exactly like losing Taryn Mellody.

Perhaps playing at kings & with minimal pressure will allow her to play a bit more freely.

Who knows...wish her well.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Wow... comparing her to Taryn Mellody? HA! Just sharing the news of note I got... not sure anyone thought Scranton was losing a player of Mellody's abilities. LOL

saratoga

You are so correct!

Players of Taryn's talent level & all around game only happen once every Halley's comet.

saratoga

Lady Royal's schedule is up but I'm only seeing 24 games listed...should be one more out there.

A pretty tough non-conference schedule with FDU-Florham, Messiah, the usually tough York (Pa.) team & national contender almost every year, Wheaton (Ill.).

ronk

Quote from: saratoga on July 14, 2017, 07:14:24 PM
Lady Royal's schedule is up but I'm only seeing 24 games listed...should be one more out there.

A pretty tough non-conference schedule with FDU-Florham, Messiah, the usually tough York (Pa.) team & national contender almost every year, Wheaton (Ill.).

I'm thinking the annual game with Cabrini is the one missing.

amh63

ronk.....the academic year will soon start for D3 schools.  Just checking in to see if you "helped" Amherst's HC this season on the recruiting trail.  Seems one of your NY players..on your list... that ended up at Amherst made "rookie of the year" in the Nescac.  Amherst  needs some talented front court players...though the multi-position player that can play defense and score inside and outside is the type everyone wants at all levels of BB :).  Have a good Summer.