Author Topic: MLB Topics  (Read 33324 times)

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Topics
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2017, 10:28:53 pm »
Not sure how rare this is, but first time for Miguel Cabrera.  In the bottom of the eleventh, he had a 'walk-off walk'!  Two Blue Jays' pitchers totally imploded: a walk, a sac bunt, new pitcher; an out, a fielding error, a walk, and the walk to Miggy.

He'd had scads of walk-off hits, and 16 previous bases-loaded walks, but this was his first walk-off walk!

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
Not sure how rare this is, but first time for Miguel Cabrera.  In the bottom of the eleventh, he had a 'walk-off walk'!  Two Blue Jays' pitchers totally imploded: a walk, a sac bunt, new pitcher; an out, a fielding error, a walk, and the walk to Miggy.

He'd had scads of walk-off hits, and 16 previous bases-loaded walks, but this was his first walk-off walk!

It is probably more common than you think.  I see my share of games in person and on TV and have seen the walk off hit, home run, walk, balk, error, pb, wp.  Not sure I have ever seen a walk-off strikeout.

I am always surprised how rare having three assists in an inning is, ~0.1-0.2% of innings played

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »
From the Department of REALLY Obscure Records:

Ian Kinsler did something tonight that must be vanishingly rare if not unprecedented.  He was the third out in three consecutive innings! :o  Add in that he led off the game with a home run, and I'd be willing to bet serious money that no one has EVER had that particular sequence of outcomes! ;D

It is hard enough to get three ABs in three consecutive innings

A much more satisfying three-inning stretch for Ian Kinsler tonite:  in the first three innings in KC (against Cy Young candidate Jason Vargas [12-3, 2.60 ERA]) he went double, triple, triple!